Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

cloughy wrote: »
    to give an indication, what was the price of the EV you imported after getting it Vat Exempt in the UK, and paying the Irish Vat here, and also with no SEAI grant, was it cheaper/more expensive,

At the time I was looking at getting a new Irish car for ~€27000 (with trade in, after grant applied etc)
    Instead I got the higher spec uk, 10 weeks registered, with <1000 on the clock for <€28500 (including flights, ferries, food, VAT, registration etc)
    So the upgrade cost me, all in <€1500 (plus I did not get the benefit of a new new 0 milage car)
    I think at the time a new Premium SE was in the region of €31000 (thats in Euro and after UK ev rebate)

My main driver for doing this was to get the upgraded spec, as opposed to saving money. However I did sell my potential trade in car for significantly more than the trade in value so I ended up saving significantly.

I've done >35,000 km since April so obviously the main savings are really on fuel..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ELM327 wrote: »
    You cannot do it yourself at all, the dealer will most likely not be able to help either. It is hard coded to the car and needs the ECU version flashed.

That was a backend hack done by a friend of a friend that happened to work at a dealers, not something open for general populous

any chance the friend of a friend would PM me :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

You cannot do it yourself at all, the dealer will most likely not be able to help either. It is hard coded to the car and needs the ECU version flashed.

In the Leaf I don't remember if you could change the speedo, but you could change everything else like the sat nav, units used on the battery info screen, that sort of stuff.

Fortunately even if no, yards are basically metres when using the navigation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

kuro68k wrote: »
    In the Leaf I don't remember if you could change the speedo, but you could change everything else like the sat nav, units used on the battery info screen, that sort of stuff.

Fortunately even if no, yards are basically metres when using the navigation.

You can change everything in the leaf from miles to km in less than a minute, very straightforward

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I test drove a Kia eNiro this morning. For background, my daily driver for the past 8 years has been a BMW E90, and I have a done quite a lot of driving in Golfs and various Toyotas.

While the Niro was pretty nice, it did not blow me away. I know I am going against most other reviewers but I didn't particularly like the ride quality, wind/road noise, steering responsiveness, mad number of buttons, navigation/system screen (although it was the larger 8" version). What was rather good was the car's interior space, acceleration, and driver assistance features (not hugely inferior to the autopilot features in a European Tesla).

I have to replace my car in the near future. I don't really want to want to buy a ICE, cannot justify a Tesla but I am not sure the Niro would keep me smiling for 7-8 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

embraer170 wrote: »
    I test drove a Kia eNiro this morning. For background, my daily driver for the past 8 years has been a BMW E90, and I have a done quite a lot of driving in Golfs and various Toyotas.

While the Niro was pretty nice, it did not blow me away. I know I am going against most other reviewers but I didn't particularly like the ride quality, wind/road noise, steering responsiveness, mad number of buttons, navigation/system screen (although it was the larger 8" version). What was rather good was the car's interior space, acceleration, and driver assistance features (not hugely inferior to the autopilot features in a European Tesla).

I have to replace my car in the near future. I don't really want to want to buy a ICE, cannot justify a Tesla but I am not sure the Niro would keep me smiling for 7-8 years...

Where did you test drive it?
    Do you mean the Niro PHEV rather than the eNiro as the eNiro isnt in Ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I test drove the eNiro in Germany. Most Kia dealers have one or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

More than the speedo I think I'd find having all the range/stats in Imperial measures quite annoying. For energy consumption I prefer kW/Km, for range I use Km... And I'm British.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

any chance the friend of a friend would PM me :pac::pac::pac:
    Sorry it wasnt my friend of a friend, that was the account given online.

km/Kwh is the only meaningful measurement to be honest, Kwh/100 Km was mad to begin with but only came from L/100 km and the auto industry probably thought people would not handle Kwh/km lol

• Advertisement

km/Kwh is the only meaningful measurement to be honest, Kwh/100 Km was mad to begin with but only came from L/100 km and the auto industry probably thought people would not handle Kwh/km lol

kWh/100km works very well for me. I never took to litres/100km and measured in MPG. Wouldnt take to km/kWh now.

Any time I drive a fossil car I think in miles and miles per gallon but for EVs it's Wh/km or kWh/100km. I blame copious amounts of Bjorn's youtube videos for the Wh/km measurement!

Km/Kwh makes sense because you calculate the average needed per charge a lot easier, for example, 5 Km/Kwh = 140 Km average with 28 Kwh usable etc.

Kwh/100 Km makes no sense to me but each to their own I suppose.

Km/Kwh makes sense because you calculate the average needed per charge a lot easier, for example, 5 Km/Kwh = 140 Km average with 28 Kwh usable etc.

But you know in the Ioniq to aim for below 14kWh/100km as you have 28kWh available, if you want to do 200km.

I guess it's what you get used to, and my first EV came in kWh/100km so I just learned that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's the same as figures of mpg (used in UK), l/100km (used in Germany) and km/l (used in Italy). All it takes is getting used to one of them...

Figure of kWh/100km is very useful for me to use, as is l/100km. I don't like the km/kWh and similarly refuse to use km/l. You can also bring lb/m - equivalent of energy gathered by burning given number of pounds of coal to travel a mile... ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I find kWh/100km better for working out how much energy I need to go a certain distance, and km/kWh better when trying to figure out how far I can go.

Generally I'm trying to figure out the answer to the first question so prefer it as a measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Interesting video of an e-Niro vs Kona Electric on a 400km autobahn trip from Leipzig to Munich in winter (-5°c). They both charged on a 175kW charger at the 230km mark, peaking at 70kW.

- Both were in 'Normal' drive mode with climate set to 19°c
    - Both cruised at the same speed. Kona at 120km/h indicated and e-Niro at 123km/h indicated (e-Niro speedo deviation).
    - e-Niro: 22.8kWh/100km vs Kona 22.7kWh/100km

e-Niro did the first 230km more efficiently and at the end of trip had +4% SOC over the Kona.

280km range at 120km/h in winter (-5°c).

Turn on the subtitles :)

280km range at 120km/h in winter (-5°c).

I'll be picking up one of these used to replace my diesel SUV, that's the range I want and that is almost worst case scenario range (albeit a new car)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The impression I'm getting is that on initial arrival the cars look like they had "coldgate".

The chargers stopped at a time limit and the guys then restarted a charge - so it was that restart that gave the 70 kw.

Possibly due to the battery heating up initially.

Am I missing something????

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Yeah seems like the Fastned 175kW units have a max session of 30mins.

Yep definitely 'coldgate' symptoms, both start charging at around the 50kW mark. In optimal conditions the 64kWh pack should be pulling ~70kW at that starting SOC. Looks like the packs just warmed up during the session ramping up to 70kW for a brief time before tapering down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is cold gate really anything other than every other EV though? I plugged in my i3 at a fast charger this morning and took 58 minutes to add 87%.

In warmer weather I've added that much in 40 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Is cold gate really anything other than every other EV though? I plugged in my i3 at a fast charger this morning and took 58 minutes to add 87%.

In warmer weather I've added that much in 40 minutes.

Only mentioned it because another poster was talking about 70 kw at the 230 km first charge.

On watching the video it was clear the car was charging 18 kw less then that. Then they ran into a time limit and had to restart the charge.

Battery was presumably warming up during the charge - so after restart of charge the car worked off the new battery temp and allowed full speed.

If it's only a restriction to 54 kw and thus full speed allowed on 50 kw charger then it's not a massive issue.

Certainly far less serious then rapidgate from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I plugged in at the new CCS in Letterkenny in sub zero temperatures after only 25 miles driving and was only getting about 33kw initially.

After 15/20 minutes it was up to full speed.

Depends on battery temp, setting off with a fully charged i3 and preheated battery is always best if possible.

Sometimes it will take longer to reach full speed depending on temp.

Same with all electrics some worse than others, those that have no form of battery heating at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Folks

Can Niro Phev be preheated? Can’t seem to find that setting? Or is it just for full EV model?

daheff wrote: »
    Folks

Can Niro Phev be preheated? Can’t seem to find that setting? Or is it just for full EV model?
    the Kia and Hyundai PHEVs don't have preheat. Only full BEV

Shame, I'd sacrifice EV distance over preheating in current weather

I would now after 4 years find it extremely difficult not to have pre-seating, it's very convenient.

At least the PHEV should have pre-heat when connected to mains, you could understand when not connected to the mains with their tiny batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Really? Whats the reason for this? Even my 330e has preheating!

I would now after 4 years find it extremely difficult not to have pre-seating, it's very convenient.

At least the PHEV should have pre-heat when connected to mains, you could understand when not connected to the mains with their tiny batteries.
    Even the BEV Kia/hyundais dont preheat unless plugged in.

stesaurus wrote: »
    Really? Whats the reason for this? Even my 330e has preheating!
    It's nonsense really, but I have no idea why not.

• Advertisement

Unless they are heated solely by the ICE ?

How far can they drive on leccy ?

Advertisement