Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

daheff wrote: »
    i keep getting calls from a garage which sounds like its a radio presenter telling me they have one to test drive.... if thats any use

Which one? I drove past the Kia dealer I talked to before and get are gone bust

Please and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The configurator isn't working very well. I can't tell what the color (sic) package: A type means for the interior, and this is selectable over leather. The full spec isn't loaded either. Looks like a work in progress.

Spec seems to include satnav on a 7" screen? Same as the boggo spec Kona. Why a tiny screen. I know it's only an inch smaller than the UK spec Kona, but 1" can make a huge difference, I'm told. :o:D

Maybe the full spec will change this.

The configurator isn't working very well. I can't tell what the color (sic) package: A type means for the interior, and this is selectable over leather. The full spec isn't loaded either. Looks like a work in progress.

Spec seems to include satnav on a 7" screen? Same as the boggo spec Kona. Why a tiny screen. I know it's only an inch smaller than the UK spec Kona, but 1" can make a huge difference, I'm told. :o:D

It’s what you do with the inch.....

Anyway i don’t like the trend towards stupid big flat screen in car, they can look vulgar....my preference would be built in Alexa or some other AI than a big screen but that’s a bit off

Plastic leather, adaptive cruise etc and I am hapoy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s what you do with the inch.....

Anyway i don’t like the trend towards stupid big flat screen in car, they can look vulgar....my preference would be built in Alexa or some other AI than a big screen but that’s a bit off

Plastic leather, adaptive cruise etc and I am hapoy

You wouldn't want a Tesla then? :p

I don't give a crap how it looks in the car as long as it gives a clear map. Within reason, the bigger the better.

I don't give a crap how it looks in the car as long as it gives a clear map. Within reason, the bigger the better.

On the eGolf, once you put in location I will take off the Sat nav, on the screen beside the speedo it will show up with the next direction you need to turn and distance to turn. That's all I need. Normally I wont leave the map on the main tiny little 7" screen :p:p:p

• Advertisement

Dont get me wrong, if you like a big screen fire ahead but I just think it is too clunky. The iPad was released 9 years ago now...then it was cutting edge.

AI is where it is at now. The only company I have seen use proper AI is Nio and of course not available over here.

From reports the tesla system is clunky and difficult to use why driving. Not much of an advancement in technology.

I actually give up....so I emailed all the dealers in the Dublin area and surrounding last night.....

So first reply this morning, kudo's for been on the ball but not on response

HI XXXXX,

They are due to arrive in next month. Now announcement yet on price or specification.

Dealer

:p:p:p:p:p

I have replied with link to kia.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

People are actually taking delivery of the cars in the UK.

And I see the UK guys have had communication issues with Kia and dealers too.

Wonder therefore if this is an issue going back to the factory in Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Looks like it has a PTC heater instead of the heat pump? :(

PTC Heater_ Int Type
    S
    Inner Condenser HVAC
    S

Can't complain with the spec other than that though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Soarer wrote: »
    I assume those prices are after all grants?

Anyone?

• Advertisement

Anyone?

I think that would be a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

I actually give up....so I emailed all the dealers in the Dublin area and surrounding last night.....

So first reply this morning, kudo's for been on the ball but not on response

HI XXXXX,

They are due to arrive in next month. Now announcement yet on price or specification.

Dealer

:p:p:p:p:p

I have replied with link to kia.ie

I was in one dealer in Dublin two weeks ago and the salesman knew nothing about the ev Niro and directed me towards the plug in one. Sleators in Mullingar already had one at that stage. Was in Mullingar yesterday so tried to go see it at lunch time but the garage was closed for lunch despite there being no mention of it on their opening hours. Niro was in showroom so could only look in at it. I'll try and get back over next week to look but assuming it's not available to test drive.

I think that would be a given.

Figured as much.

But you never know...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Must say Nero looks better priced compared to Kona.

Is Smart cruise control the same as Adaptive cruise?

Wonder will Hyundai bring out the full spec version of the Kona (As hinted previously) at similar price to remain competitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

The new e-Soul has a 10.5 inch screen :)

Anyone?

From the Kia website today:
    Price includes VRT rebate and SEAI grant

Price is after rebate

A number of dealers have the mid range. Unfortuneatly wont get to drive today but booked in tomorrow.

IF I buy then I will take delivery circa July/August which would actually suit me.

I had a new RAV4 coming out for a weekend demo so I might have to cancel that......the only issue is that it might be a little small compared to the RAV

Looks like it has a PTC heater instead of the heat pump? :(

PTC Heater_ Int Type
    S
    Inner Condenser HVAC
    S

Can't complain with the spec other than that though really.

Inner Condenser HVAC also known as a Heat Pump

Leaf 40 is the same has both a PTC Heater and a Heat Pump

icom wrote: »
    The new e-Soul has a 10.5 inch screen :)

My wife says she wants the e-Soul now. :mad::mad: :D

So does it have a heat pump?

• Advertisement

My wife says she wants the e-Soul now. :mad::mad: :D

Very few women would refuse a 10.5 inch......screen. ;)

Very few women would refuse a 10.5 inch......screen. ;)

It's a bloody cockfest around here :P:P:P:P

So does it have a heat pump?

Although we can technically call an air conditioner a heat pump, the term “heat pump” is generally used to refer to an HVAC system that can pump heat inside or outside.

I would say yes, it does have a heat pump.

Although we can technically call an air conditioner a heat pump, the term “heat pump” is generally used to refer to an HVAC system that can pump heat inside or outside.

I would say yes, it does have a heat pump.

More confused now :confused:

So is it the blowy fan thing that Nissan use to cool the battery?
    Or is it a proper heat pump which saves on range by taking the heat from the battery and pumping into the cabin if required>

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

I drove a 39kWh one in Bandon about a month ago, I'm getting it for a 24hr test drive next Tuesday. They had 3 39kWh cars a month ago. No news on the 64kWh from them yet I have a deposit down since Feb on the 64kwh.

I hope the heat pump is standard the range is still the same anyway I think so must have the heat pump?

jmpie wrote: »
    I drove a 39kWh one in Bandon about a month ago, I'm getting it for a 24hr test drive next Tuesday. They had 3 39kWh cars a month ago. No news on the 64kWh from them yet I have a deposit down since Feb on the 64kwh.

I hope the heat pump is standard the range is still the same anyway I think so must have the heat pump?

The 64kWh is coming in June/July according to the info I am getting......

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

Leaf 40 is the same has both a PTC Heater and a Heat Pump

What the PTC used for? are both the heat pump and the PTC used in the cabin?

More confused now :confused:

So is it the blowy fan thing that Nissan use to cool the battery?
    Or is it a proper heat pump which saves on range by taking the heat from the battery and pumping into the cabin if required>

The heat pump isn't anything to do with battery heating or cooling. It's a cabin heater. It works the same as a fridge, only in reverse to heat the air for the cabin.

jmpie wrote: »
    What the PTC used for? are both the heat pump and the PTC used in the cabin?

The car decides which one to use depending on the external conditions.

When watching a few of TeslaBjorn's videos when he tested the Leaf in winter, he had Leafspy running and you could see when the car was switching between the PTC heater and the Heat Pump.

I think if it very cold, say -15, the PTC heater would switch in because the Heat Pump would not be as efficient at those very low temperatures.

• Advertisement

The heat pump isn't anything to do with battery heating or cooling. It's a cabin heater. It works the same as a fridge, only in reverse to heat the air for the cabin.

My limited knowledge thought it used the heat generated from the battery to heat the cabin.

VW description was how my little brain thought it was from the battery:

“The optional heat pump is an energy-efficient alternative for the winter, which uses the ambient air and waste heat from the electrical drive components to provide warmth. This can lead to energy savings of up to 50% compared to an electrical heating system. This in turn has a positive effect on fuel range.”

Advertisement