Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

I know the Leaf has PTC + heat pump but didn't know the e-Niro had both.

I know in some markets the heat pump is an option on the e-Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    jmpie wrote: »
    I drove a 39kWh one in Bandon about a month ago, I'm getting it for a 24hr test drive next Tuesday. They had 3 39kWh cars a month ago. No news on the 64kWh from them yet I have a deposit down since Feb on the 64kwh.

I hope the heat pump is standard the range is still the same anyway I think so must have the heat pump?

The 64kWh is coming in June/July according to the info I am getting......
    August according to a dealer i spoke to this morning. He didn't sound that confident about it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ckeng wrote: »
    August according to a dealer i spoke to this morning. He didn't sound that confident about it either

Dealers you have to love them, I talked toone and hesaid he was getting 3 in July....64kWh ones, no idea on colour....wont tell you yet till I see if I am buying :p

Dealers you have to love them, I talked toone and hesaid he was getting 3 in July....64kWh ones, no idea on colour....wont tell you yet till I see if I am buying :p
    To be honest this lad sounded disinterested at best so I'll try a couple more dealers. I drove the 40kw this morning and the Kona last week. The Niro felt a lot more civilised.

To be honest this lad sounded disinterested at best so I'll try a couple more dealers. I drove the 40kw this morning and the Kona last week. The Niro felt a lot more civilised.

The option is Rav or Niro. I just got a face with the Kona from herself....

The Niro could have size issues....the Rav is huge compared to it

• Advertisement

The option is Rav or Niro. I just got a face with the Kona from herself....

The Niro could have size issues....the Rav is huge compared to it
    Just tell her to buy fewer shoes and handbags and whatnot and size won't be an issue.

Just tell her to buy fewer shoes and handbags and whatnot and size won't be an issue.

That's just crazy talk.....of course she will never reduce her shopping habits

Anyway it was all on special, well that is what I get told :P

A few more bits of info

PCP will be 3.9% which is good
    I got quoted Delivery of €800
    Metallic paint €500

So price to you Mr Customer is
    €38,795

Rav4 is €38,240 without delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

It always amazes me how little dealers know about whats happening and the details of what they are selling. a lot of bull get spoken by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My limited knowledge thought it used the heat generated from the battery to heat the cabin.

VW description was how my little brain thought it was from the battery:

“The optional heat pump is an energy-efficient alternative for the winter, which uses the ambient air and waste heat from the electrical drive components to provide warmth. This can lead to energy savings of up to 50% compared to an electrical heating system. This in turn has a positive effect on fuel range.”

The HP uses outside air to generate heat inside the cabin (reverse of a fridge). The warmer the air outside is, the more efficient it is at generating heat.

So, if you can tap heat from the likes of the battery/drivetrain as your air input it becomes more efficient but its still just a heat pump the same as any other like the Leaf etc.

VW sound like they have just gone the extra mile to get that efficiency whereas others just take the ambient air outside the car as its input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

KCross wrote: »
    The HP uses outside air to generate heat inside the cabin (reverse of a fridge). The warmer the air outside is, the more efficient it is at generating heat.

So, if you can tap heat from the likes of the battery/drivetrain as your air input it becomes more efficient but its still just a heat pump the same as any other like the Leaf etc.

VW sound like they have just gone the extra mile to get that efficiency whereas others just take the ambient air outside the car as its input.

so....basically just open the window and let the outside air in? Or does the HP actually heat the air too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

jmpie wrote: »
    It always amazes me how little dealers know about whats happening and the details of what they are selling. a lot of bull get spoken by them.

buying the PHEV, the way this seems to work is that KIA group Ireland seem to allocate X number of cars to each dealer. If I got to my dealer and ask for a colour he hasnt got, he can request another dealer swaps their allocation of that colour to him, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

daheff wrote: »
    so....basically just open the window and let the outside air in? Or does the HP actually heat the air too?

No, it heats the air too via compression of a refrigerant gas.

Currently testing the eNiro, feedback later

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Just to let you know, 160km is well doable in any 40kwh car.
    jspuds wrote: »
    From what I can see missing the JBL Premium Sound System & Sat Nav that comes with the UK first edition otherwise the same, is that correct?

For some strange reason they have omitted lumbar support on the car. Do they not expect people to take long journeys, or are they aiming for younger customers than me.

The Soul will have the LED lights and lumbar support but it looks like a stretched mini

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Currently testing the eNiro, feedback later

Boot space for my golf clubs !!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Ok so took for a spin. First observation as I mentioned before it is fairly compact. The sales guy made reference to the Kona and it wasn't as small, which it isn't, but it ain't a whole pile bigger. Never could you refer to it as a SUV, that is for sure. It still had that little height which is what Mrs Shefwedfan is looking for. Bending into eGolf is problematic.

The car was the dark grey and was nice, it was parked beside the PHEV and really you would have no idea it was BEV unless you knew what you are looking for. To the standard punter they look the same.

The interior is "nice". Best description. It was comfy, it has leather seats but I would not class them as leather. BMW/Audi now that is leather. But comfortable and a nice place to sit. Could I live with it for3 years, yes but then again I say that everytime I buy a car.

Everything is easy to use, I do like the "gear knob" and very handy. The flat screen is ok sized for me, again not a fan of big screens and I think a bigger one might look a little out of place but who knows.

The sales man took into his pitch but soon realized I might know a few things after I hoped in. So we just had a chat. The car was literally just in and hadn't got a full run over by the garage yet so no mats etc and the test drive was limited but Igot what I needed

There is a noticeable whine out of it on acceleration from start. Something I don't have in eGolf and I never noticed in Leaf. I had everything turned off so you could hear. I know VW mentioned recently they had issues trying to get rid of this. If radio on it would be gone. Everything felt nice to drive, steering was good and it was quickish but I couldn't really floor it with sales guy sitting beside me. That's for day 2.

The regen, very good. I love my regen and it has similar system to eGolf with 1-3,3 been the most aggressive. It was aggressive, more than I expected and I would guess if I buy number 2 will be used outside city and 3 really if for full city driving. But a very good system and easy to change modes.

Good space in back seats, I jumped in behind my seat and decent leg room. I think the tunnel was not in car which is a real bug bear of mine, something I need to check out next time. But again comfortable. Will the multimac or 3 car seats fit in is question.

Boot was decent, I was sticking out buggy into a C-HR just before I went over and it was noticeably bigger but still small compared to the Rav. He mentioned 410ltr but in reality that is not true, it has false floor and if you lift that up and take out the bits then you have 410. I think he mentioned 380ltr with floor down. Golf clubs....oh I think you would need floor out and in at angle but I think you would do it, just about....of course depends on what bag you have.....

At the end of the day it is a good car. Everything is laid out well, everything works well, has Apple/android support, will charge phone while driving, adaptive cruise etc......their is nothing spectacular about it either. No massive wow or anything but then it is a Kia so I wasn't really expecting that. I did jump into the Sportage and the Niro was a noticeable improvement, a lot higher spec and nicer inside.

The one plus is the range, just even the smaller range one looking down and not seeing it start off at 1XXkm just brings a smile to face

Will I buy it is the question, I just don't know. If it was the size of the Rav I would have a deposit on it now. The sales guy is going off to do the maths and lets see what he comes back with.

Would I recommend it? based on the initial drive I would 100%. I think Nissan have really dropped the ball on the L40 compared to it.

One thing, I was talking to sales guy. He said Kia tell them nothing, they had a few people ring like me and tell them the pricing is on web. They have no confirmed delivery dates/cost of delivery/how much mettalic paint is etc....

Oh yeah I never asked about heat pump. It came to mind but I doubt the sales guy would have any idea what I was on about

Anyway when I seen the range on it who cares about a heat pump, with the 64kWh version I would maybe plug it in once/twice a week :-)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What was the GOM saying when you at in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

There is a noticeable whine out of it on acceleration from start. Something I don't have in eGolf and I never noticed in Leaf. I had everything turned off so you could hear. I know VW mentioned recently they had issues trying to get rid of this. If radio on it would be gone. Everything felt nice to drive, steering was good and it was quickish but I couldn't really floor it with sales guy sitting beside me. That's for day 2.

Kona had the same issue with motor whine when I drove it, especially at motorway speed, was pretty loud

Its a high power motor compared to Leaf and eGolf so maybe thats a reason?

Tesla get alot of complaints for motor whine too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The regen, very good. I love my regen and it has similar system to eGolf with 1-3,3 been the most aggressive. It was aggressive, more than I expected and I would guess if I buy number 2 will be used outside city and 3 really if for full city driving. But a very good system and easy to change modes.

Is there a 0 on the regen? As in, a coasting regen of zero?

Is there a 0 on the regen? As in, a coasting regen of zero?

Yes, you can turn it off....I turned it off and just the same as driving combustion engine

As a short drive I didn't really test 1 & 2, just 3. As mentioned 3 really does slow you up quickly but I was used to it after 4 mins and at end was not using brake pedal at all.....

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What was the GOM saying when you at in?

I got in, it was full charge but maybe 1 down, it was at 297km I think....I never checked what it was after driving but I didn't get on motorway or anything as the car was just in door....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yes, you can turn it off....I turned it off and just the same as driving combustion engine

As a short drive I didn't really test 1 & 2, just 3. As mentioned 3 really does slow you up quickly but I was used to it after 4 mins and at end was not using brake pedal at all.....

Sounds the same as the ioniq/kona. Though I wouldn't say the off setting feels like a combustion car in the ioniq anyway, it can coast remarkably far without losing speed compared to any combustion car I've driven.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sounds the same as the ioniq/kona. Though I wouldn't say the off setting feels like a combustion car in the ioniq anyway, it can coast remarkably far without losing speed compared to any combustion car I've driven.

Too short to test, I know the eGolf will coast for a huge distance with regen off. For my requirement I was more interested in how the regen worked as majority of driving will be city based and coasting will be hardly used

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Morak Thun

Does anyone have a complete and definitive list of options that are missing from the Irish offering?

I know everyone is different in what the want, need, and can do without but if I am paying near 50K for a vehicle before incentives I feel it should at least come with premium sound!!

Morak Thun wrote: »
    Does anyone have a complete and definitive list of options that are missing from the Irish offering?

I know everyone is different in what the want, need, and can do without but if I am paying near 50K for a vehicle before incentives I feel it should at least come with premium sound!!

The spec is on website

It’s a good bit off 50k, 12 or so less

It’s a Kia at the end of day, the majority of the cash is paying for the massive battery stuck into it

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Morak Thun

The spec is on website

It’s a Kia at the end of day, the majority of the cash is paying for the massive battery stuck into it

Hard to believe you went to the trouble of typing up such a useless reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

In fairness he/she did say €50k "before incentives".

I'd be keen to see a list too. Ventilated seats for example are a big one for me. My wife is always too cold and I'm always too warm. Being able to heat her seats and cool mine at the same time is something that I want. Dual heat controls are another thing that I think may be missing from the Irish version.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    In fairness he/she did say €50k "before incentives".

I'd be keen to see a list too. Ventilated seats for example are a big one for me. My wife is always too cold and I'm always too warm. Being able to heat her seats and cool mine at the same time is something that I want. Dual heat controls are another thing that I think may be missing from the Irish version.

Sorry missed that, on mobile

Ventilated seats are not on it, it had button for heated seats

Never checked if dual air con

Advertisement