Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Alot of people, including the sales guys can't fathom how individuals can give brand new Mercedes C Class money for a Kia that looks like a 90's Chevrolet, they think those individuals are crazy

You can't blame for thinking like that.

The Niro looks like a 25k car, if you told a randomer on the street you paid 40k for one they would think your mad

40k is alot of money

Have you talked to the sales guys?

I talked to them, they are incredibly excited, they all are spinning around in the demo, the guy said it is a race to get it in morning

They have never had a Kia with so much interest, they had got a whisper of one and 4 people had dropped in to test drive before it arrived, I was the first customer to test the demo and really I should not have been let out in it as wasn’t customer ready

This was before they got actual pricing from Kia, they said the interest is amazing....they actually have a good tactic and park it beside the Phev as it might push more phev sales as well

Guy I talked to was very interested, and to be fair he knew a lot of the details about the car which was refreshing compare to some dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alot of people, including the sales guys can't fathom how individuals can give brand new Mercedes C Class money for a Kia that looks like a 90's Chevrolet, they think those individuals are crazy

You can't blame for thinking like that.

The Niro looks like a 25k car, if you told a randomer on the street you paid 40k for one they would think your mad

40k is alot of money

My wife runs a 35k Kia Sportage. It's great: quiet, comfy and unpretentious, apart from the ridiculously oversized standard rims which kill the ride quality. 40k would be too much though, for a diesel...

...but it may get replaced at 5-6 years (within warranty) with a electric Niro as the numbers do stack up with the 40k per annum distance she does.

I would never run a Merc, awful cars. "C160 AMG", LOL. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I talked to them, they are incredibly excited, they all are spinning around in the demo, the guy said it is a race to get it in morning

They have never had a Kia with so much interest, they had got a whisper of one and 4 people had dropped in to test drive before it arrived, I was the first customer to test the demo and really I should not have been let out in it as wasn’t customer ready

This was before they got actual pricing from Kia, they said the interest is amazing....they actually have a good tactic and park it beside the Phev as it might push more phev sales as well

Guy I talked to was very interested, and to be fair he knew a lot of the details about the car which was refreshing compare to some dealers

I've spoken to 4. First two were disinterested, the third actively hated electrics but the fourth (this morning) was very enthusiastic. Unfortunately he won't have any to sell - 50 coming to Irish market between 38 dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

Whaaa? Is that 50 eNiros for Ireland for the year?? Or is that just the first delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

looks like a supply problem all right, I've driven the 40kwh demo & am still waiting on the dealer to come back with a trade in value on my car, there was a configurator on the kia website last week, the eniro was coming in at 38K including metallic paint & leather. But its gone completely off the website & dealer isn't returning my calls, looks like I might have to take a look at model 3 or VW neo instead when they go live next week or two......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

jordan191 wrote: »
    looks like a supply problem all right, I've driven the 40kwh demo & am still waiting on the dealer to come back with a trade in value on my car, there was a configurator on the kia website last week, the eniro was coming in at 38K including metallic paint & leather. But its gone completely off the website & dealer isn't returning my calls, looks like I might have to take a look at model 3 or VW neo instead when they go live next week or two......

You'll get a Niro before either of those two me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

When I went to drive the Kona the sales guy said it was mad money and people buying it are nuts, his words

Had to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Mike9832 wrote:
    When I went to drive the Kona the sales guy said it was mad money and people buying it are nuts, his words

Mike9832 wrote:
    Had to agree

if looking at the 39kw version as someone who has saving over 4500 per year on fuel insurance and road tax making the eniro virtually pay for itself over its 7 year warranty period at which point it would still be worth something to sell - very strange that would be considered mad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

if looking at the 39kw version as someone who has saving over 4500 per year on fuel insurance and road tax making the eniro virtually pay for itself over its 7 year warranty period at which point it would still be worth something to sell - very strange that would be considered mad !

Ahh you made the mistake of using logic and sense......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Ahh you made the mistake of using logic and sense......

So your basically saying if you drive 50k+ a year for 7 years you get it for free :D

(4500/1.45L =3100-litres of petrol bought)
    3100/6*100 =51K number of km driven at 6l per 100km usage

***maths could be off though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Waiting for Model 3 pricing before confirming Niro order. The M3 will probably be a lot more expensive but for the sake of a week it's worth waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

daheff wrote:
    So your basically saying if you drive 50k+ a year for 7 years you get it for free

daheff wrote:
    (4500/1.45L =3100-litres of petrol bought) 3100/6*100 =51K number of km driven at 6l per 100km usage

No I'm saying for me -

Old tax 750 v new tax 120 - 630 saving

Servicing and repairs budget approx 1000 per year v 200 & 7 year warranty

Monthly fuel bill 230 (2760 annually) v 0 (charge at work , home only required in emergency)

500 reduction in insurance

1/2 price tolls

Actual saving is probably more than originally estimated. So yes after 7 years it pays for it self and it will still be worth something if sold

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No I'm saying for me -

Old tax 750 v new tax 120 - 630 saving

Servicing and repairs budget approx 1000 per year v 200 & 7 year warranty

Monthly fuel bill 230 (2760 annually) v 0 (charge at work , home only required in emergency)

500 reduction in insurance

1/2 price tolls

Actual saving is probably more than originally estimated. So yes after 7 years it pays for it self and it will still be worth something if sold

To be fair, the majority of the motor tax saving would also be got if you bought, lets say, a €30k ICE.

Likewise for the servicing and repairs, they would have reduced for a new ICE to small money or close to zero as service packs are often included now.

The 1/2 price tolls are worth a max of €500 if you happen to be using tolls alot.

Not sure how you managed the 500 insurance saving. EV's tend to be a little cheaper but not significantly so. 500 is alot but insurance is a black art anyway. My insurance went down about 50-100 when I switched to EV.

The vast majority of the savings for EV is the fuel. Everything else is either small money or would be saved in a new purchase of ICE as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

No BIK is the biggest driver for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ckeng wrote: »
    No BIK is the biggest driver for me.

Indeed, forgot that one. Thats much bigger than the fuel if it applies to you.

Currently the 0% BIK is until Dec 2021, I think. You will need subsequent budgets to extend it so keep that in mind in case a new minister isnt as pro-EV.

Yes it will suit crazy commuters doing those miles in a personal car

Most dont even do 1/3 of those miles

KCross wrote: »
    To be fair, the majority of the motor tax saving would also be got if you bought, lets say, a €30k ICE.

Likewise for the servicing and repairs, they would have reduced for a new ICE to small money or close to zero as service packs are often included now.

The 1/2 price tolls are worth a max of €500 if you happen to be using tolls alot.

Not sure how you managed the 500 insurance saving. EV's tend to be a little cheaper but not significantly so. 500 is alot but insurance is a black art anyway. My insurance went down about 50-100 when I switched to EV.

The vast majority of the savings for EV is the fuel. Everything else is either small money or would be saved in a new purchase of ICE as well.

Agree

Fuel is the only saving and it is substantial for crazy commuters

At 350k km it will be knackered though, not as much as ICE I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yes it will suit crazy commuters doing those miles in a personal car

Most dont even do 1/3 of those miles

Crazy commuters?

I used to spend close to 200 a month and I only do about 16k miles a year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The wife used to spend around €200 a month with the Grande Punto, now she's spending €20 added to the electricity bill.
    Not to mention the chocolate bars she stopped buying from the petrol station, replaced by bigger bars from Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

liamog wrote: »
    The wife used to spend around €200 a month with the Grande Punto, now she's spending €20 added to the electricity bill.
    Not to mention the chocolate bars she stopped buying from the petrol station, replaced by bigger bars from Lidl.

By the looks of it, the efficiency of your wife's EV soon will drop...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Naughty, she's eating the same amount of chocolate just buying bigger bars in Lidl with the weekly shop instead of grab size ones with €50 of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Crazy commuters?

+1

I only do average mileage. In my last car that cost me €50 a week in petrol. In my current car it costs me about in €3 per week in electricity

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Crazy commuters?

I do similar and cost me about 30e a week

What did u drive that was so thirsty?

unkel wrote: »
    +1

I only do average mileage. In my last car that cost me €50 a week in petrol. In my current car it costs me about in €3 per week in electricity

Your last car was an old 3l petrol bmw?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Close, but no cigar. An old 3l petrol Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

I see Kia have removed the car and specs from the website- wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The car gets an excellent review here:

https://youtu.be/QgAQtNEUHqs

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The car gets an excellent review here:

https://youtu.be/QgAQtNEUHqs

Note that the car in that video is not the UK spec. It's got the nicer interior with the blue highlights and mood lighting.

I think the Irish spec is the same as the UK from what I have see. Certainly the 39kWh car I sat in was UK spec interior.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

kuro68k wrote: »
    Note that the car in that video is not the UK spec. It's got the nicer interior with the blue highlights and mood lighting.

I think the Irish spec is the same as the UK from what I have see. Certainly the 39kWh car I sat in was UK spec interior.

Not UK spec?
    UK reg and right hand drive

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

slave1 wrote: »
    kuro68k wrote: »

Not UK spec?
    UK reg and right hand drive

I thought there was some talk of it been a pre production car

Advertisement