Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

budgemook wrote: »
    Does this mean that the UK version with better specs is the same price even when you take the grants into account??

I'm not sure actually, it thing the dealer sent says up to €10k grant but it appears that it's really only €5k. So actually it's a lot more expensive than the UK model.

The UK model is £33k, and £500 for anything but the default colour which I think is silver.

The Irish model is £39,000, and lower spec.

liamog wrote: »
    Smart Cruise is the radar assisted system that will slow down the car when one is detected.
    As near as I can tell Lane Keep Assist and Lane Follow assist are the same thing, think of it as LKA with better software.

They are different things. LKA just nudges the car when it starts drifting over the lines without indicating. You have to actively steer the car constantly.

LFA is autopilot, it keeps the car centred in the lane and follows corners etc. You only have to keep an eye on it, you don't have to take any active part in steering the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kuro68k wrote: »
    LKA just nudges the car when it starts drifting over the lines without indicating. You have to actively steer the car constantly.

Nope. If that was your experience driving Ioniq, you had it on the wrong settings. LKA in Ioniq on the most advanced settings, steers itself and keeps the car in the lane. You don't even have to touch the steering wheel at all, but it will detect if you don't and it will start beeping after about 20s

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

kuro68k wrote: »
    They are different things. LKA just nudges the car when it starts drifting over the lines without indicating. You have to actively steer the car constantly.

LFA is autopilot, it keeps the car centred in the lane and follows corners etc. You only have to keep an eye on it, you don't have to take any active part in steering the car.

We've had LKAS on the Ioniq for the last 2 1/2 years. LKAS can handle corners pretty well above 60km/h. As unkel says, you need to set it on active.

And FWIW, I stuck a half full bottle of water into Ioniq steering wheel to make it think I had my hands on the steering wheel. It worked. The car was then driving for about 15km on the motorway 100% by itself. Without me touching any controls. Not touching the steering wheel, not touching any pedals. The eternal optimist Elon Musk would nearly have called it fully self driving :p

• Advertisement

No, Lane Keep Assist (LKA) will follow the lane, but only because it kind of ping-pongs between the lines.

LFA is a new system, using a newer MobileEye system. It actively keeps the car centred in the lane.

In the Niro (UK edition at least) LKA is on by default and there is a button to turn it off. It works on all roads. LFA is a separate system that you have to activate via the steering wheel buttons. There is a new icon on the IC for it.

Meanwhile, here is a spec sheet from the dealer. Looks like it does have LFA after all, although no electric seats. Even the UK edition doesn't have memory seats unfortunately.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

LKAS doesn't ping pong the car, maybe the one you experienced was just miscalibrated.

As I said earlier LFA is like LKAS with better software.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Active LKAS in a Kia will ping pong the lines particularly if there are bends.

LFA will hold the centre

It seems LKAS in a Hyundai is closer to LFA but in relation to this Niro thread there is a big difference between LKAS and LFA.

KCross wrote: »

LFA will hold the centre

It seems LKAS in a Hyundai is closer to LFA but in relation to this Niro thread there is a big difference between LKAS and LFA.

Same tech, so either you haven't switched it to Active or Kia don't make the option available.

I'm basing my experience on over 50,000km with the LKAS system running on active. Either way the newer models have the improved LFA system so will be an improvement.

liamog wrote: »

LFA will hold the centre

Same tech, so either you haven't switched it to Active or Kia don't make the option available.

I'm basing my experience on over 50,000km with the LKAS system running on active. Either way the newer models have the improved LFA system so will be an improvement.

Its in the menu and I had it set to active.

Have you driven Active LKAS in a Kia?

I’m basing it on first hand experience not something I read.

If there really was no difference they wouldn’t give it a new name! ;)

• Advertisement

Its in the menu and I had it set to active.

Have you driven Active LKAS in a Kia?

I’m basing it on first hand experience not something I read.

If there really was no difference they wouldn’t give it a new name! ;)

Seems surprising that MobileEye tech in Hyundai and Kia vehicles would work differently in V1, but then work the same when called Lane Follow Assist as V2.

LFA is improved in the Kona versus LKAS in the Ioniq, but impressions put it as an improvement rather than a revolutionary upgrade.

The version on the eSoul is meant to be better again. They've improved the disengagement model. It will now slow the car instead of just turning it off.

I would agree LFA is an improvement rather than revolutionary too.

The active LKAS in Kia works but just not dependable.

I’d expect LFA to manage the majority of a motorway journey without intervention.

I haven't driven the Kia with LKAS but in Ioniq it does keep centre (more or less) and definitely does not ping between the lines. The system switches itself on automtaically once you hit 60km/h (indicated) and it detects lines

I have to say though that after my windscreen was replaced (by Mr Windscreen, the screen replacement company authorised by my insurer) it kept better to the centre than before. They seem to have done a better job calibrating it than Hyundai did!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    I haven't driven the Kia with LKAS but in Ioniq it does keep centre (more or less) and definitely does not ping between the lines. The system switches itself on automtaically once you hit 60km/h (indicated) and it detects lines

I have to say though that after my windscreen was replaced (by Mr Windscreen, the screen replacement company authorised by my insurer) it kept better to the centre than before. They seem to have done a better job calibrating it than Hyundai did!
    The problem is, you have to set it (once) in the menu to 'Active'. The default setting is 'medium' or something to that effect.

I have done the same test as you, but at 150km/h indicated on a private road (and also at 125 pretty much all of the dublin-cork-dublin trip I did last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

I have driven a dealers 39kWh e-niro from Cork to Waterford and back and the LKA with the adaptive cruise is very good did not ping pong. It was better than a niro PHEV I had tried before.

jmpie wrote: »
    I have driven a dealers 39kWh e-niro from Cork to Waterford and back and the LKA with the adaptive cruise is very good did not ping pong. It was better than a niro PHEV I had tried before.

The PHEV has LKAS only.
    The eNiro has LFA. It is/should be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The assisted drive on my test drive around Cork it was quite scary at times, the M8 in particular out the city was really bad on the bends until you get past Glanmire. The N40 ring road with the bends and traffic from Mahon Point to Wilton caused a few palpitations as well. It was a shame as that would be most of my daily commute.

krissovo wrote: »
    The assisted drive on my test drive around Cork it was quite scary at times, the M8 in particular out the city was really bad on the bends until you get past Glanmire. The N40 ring road with the bends and traffic from Mahon Point to Wilton caused a few palpitations as well. It was a shame as that would be most of my daily commute.

Was that an eNiro or Niro PHEV?

Was that an eNiro or Niro PHEV?

eNiro from keary's in Cork

Do kearys do Kia? I thought that only did Hyundai.

• Advertisement

What you have described sounds exactly like Kia's LKAS to me.

I wonder did those early test drive 39kWh eNiro's have LFA? If LFA is as you describe its a pile of junk. I'd be surprised though if that was LFA.... do you know?

As I understand it, LFA has a separate button/icon from LKAS. Were you able to tell if it was LKAS or LFA that that car had?

jmpie wrote: »

Do kearys do Kia? I thought that only did Hyundai.

Your right it was from Johnson & Perott, I did the Kona and Leaf test drives from Keary's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

FFS - just forget about that autonomous ****. Drive the car as normal and hope that the lane keeping will keep you safe when you have worse day. Not the other way round.

grogi wrote: »
    FFS - just forget about that autonomous ****. Drive the car as normal and hope that the lane keeping will keep you safe when you have worse day. Not the other way round.

That commute must be in the top 5 worst in the country and I spend between 8 to 10 hours a week doing it. Between accidents and road rage its nice that a car can take some of the stress away. Why not do it the most comfortable and stress free as I can :)

What you have described sounds exactly like Kia's LKAS to me.

I wonder did those early test drive 39kWh eNiro's have LFA? If LFA is as you describe its a pile of junk. I'd be surprised though if that was LFA.... do you know?

As I understand it, LFA has a separate button/icon from LKAS. Were you able to tell if it was LKAS or LFA that that car had?

I have heard similar reports of "LFA" struggling with corners, but when Bjorn tested it in Korea and Norway it was fine. My guess is that people got confused and though it was on, when in fact they were just using LKAS.

Kia and Hyundai really, really screwed up with the marketing and controls for LFA. I see the new version in the new Soul is a lot better, with clearer indications of when it is active and when it disengages.

So has anyone got a final price and delivery date from their dealers yet for a 192 e-niro?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

Just got call from dealer. My car is in and ready for registration. He asked if I want to do 191 or 192. I don’t think it matters as plan on keeping car for number of years. So exciting. Likely to be on road this week.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Congrats. Be sure to post up a few pics when you get your hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

kevin16w wrote: »
    Just got call from dealer. My car is in and ready for registration. He asked if I want to do 191 or 192. I don’t think it matters as plan on keeping car for number of years. So exciting. Likely to be on road this week.

Two weeks?! I would wait two weeks to get 192. Even years to come you'd get a bit more for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'm holding off for the 192. Not sure why as it really makes bugger all difference.

I suppose I have to give the dealer time to apply the ceramic coating I blagged off him as part of the deal. :D

Advertisement