Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Batesy wrote: »
    Is a type2 cable for public charging supplied??

Yep, that's the main one I think. The Granny charger is just handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Additionally, I asked if they'd be adjusting the price to reflect this and I got a firm no.
    52sHrdn.png

unkel wrote: »
    That's a very strange public (!) response. Badly put together, terrible grammar, full of inaccuracies too. Hyundai and Nissan do supply a free granny cable with all their EVs
    I'm DM'ing them on Twitter which might explain the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

dmcg90 wrote: »
    1qzZv9M.png

Response I got from Kia on Twitter

Thanks for sharing that.

Personally - I'd like to see the raw data, metrics & statistics for Ireland that they must have based their decision on.

Surely the plugs (if its the plugs on the 3-pin charger units the are referring to) don't just melt in Ireland ? And if so, and they are obviously aware of it by their own admission, they should be withdrawn at a Global Level (otherwise leaving Kia open to some sort of claim / prosecution / law suit if something melts in another country where they have not stopped supplying them with the car?)

When will all the safety recalls be sent out to owners of Nissans, Hyundais etc asking them to now return their cables due to this newly discovered issue with the wiring in Irish Houses & the plugs melting all of a sudden ?

;-)

bonoman66 wrote: »
    1qzZv9M.png

Response I got from Kia on Twitter

Thanks for sharing that.

Personally - I'd like to see the raw data, metrics & statistics for Ireland that they must have based their decision on.

Surely the plugs (if its the plugs on the 3-pin charger units the are referring to) don't just melt in Ireland ? And if so, and they are obviously aware of it by their own admission, they should be withdrawn at a Global Level (otherwise leaving Kia open to some sort of claim / prosecution / law suit if something melts in another country where they have not stopped supplying them with the car?)

When will all the safety recalls be sent out to owners of Nissans, Hyundais etc  asking them to now return their cables due to this newly discovered issue with the wiring in Irish Houses & the plugs melting all of a sudden ?

;-)
    I'm sure if a few of us messaged them on Twitter we might get a better answer!

• Advertisement

So, anyone trading in an EV should hold on to their existing granny charger. I'm assuming from the response that Kia Ireland would be throwing them in the bin anyway. Dangerous fecking things. :D

Maybe we should be so happy that they care more about their Irish Customers & want to look after us so well compared to how they treat their customers in other countries by still supplying the cables elsewhere...(:D)

Just need a bit more transparency - lets see the data / facts. Right now - I don't trust or believe them based on their comment.

They need to earn my trust - not throw out statements like that without anything to back it up except their own words & expect me to believe it blilndly etc.. (& because we see us being treated differently to those in other countries for the same product).

Maybe we should share this important safety news from Kia with all the Kia Forums we can find (in UK & other countries)- I wonder if Kia UK has informed all their customers (oh wait - I forgot already- this only happens in Ireland for Kia, Hyundai & Nissan cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Anyone been able to order one lately or have they postponed orders till October??

I think that's a great plan. Make it public.

Now, how do you get on to that tweety thing? :D

• Advertisement

Anyone been able to order one lately or have they postponed orders till October??

I'm collecting mine on Monday. Ordered May 25th.

I'm collecting mine on Monday. Ordered May 25th.

Collecting Wednesday, ordered June 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

sorry...coming late onto this thread. According to all the Kia dealers I've contacted, there's no availability on the ev model until 2020? Is that still the case? Anywhere I can test drive one around Dublin/Meath/Kildare?

chewed wrote: »
    sorry...coming late onto this thread. According to all the Kia dealers I've contacted, there's no availability on the ev model until 2020?  Is that still the case?  Anywhere I can test drive one around Dublin/Meath/Kildare?
    Worth ringing around the country, some dealers in Donegal might have less demand for example for an EV and some don't know their allocation so it's always worth ringing around. People do tend to drop out of buying them too.
    Test drive wise, I test drove one in Swords myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Maybe we should share this important safety news from Kia with all the Kia Forums we can find (in UK & other countries)- I wonder if Kia UK has informed all their customers (oh wait - I forgot already- this only happens in Ireland for Kia, Hyundai & Nissan cars)

Not the case with Hyundai anyway - I got a granny cable and on-street cable with my Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Now, how do you get on to that tweety thing?

What you do is, tweet publicly and tag nissan, Hyundai , ESB & Kia in it stating what Kia said about the others. You will have your charger by the end of the week. It's how I do all of my consumer complaints. Lightning fast service then.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

FaganJr wrote: »
    What you do is, tweet publicly and tag nissan, Hyundai , ESB & Kia in it stating what Kia said about the others. You will have your charger by the end of the week. It's how I do all of my consumer complaints. Lightning fast service then.

The demo one I had, did have the 3-pin charger in the boot, I might ask the dealer to through it in from the demo.
    The story sounds like a load of crap to me anyway, they just don't want to supply them as save a few quid I'd say.

spakman wrote: »
    Not the case with Hyundai anyway - I got a granny cable and on-street cable with my Kona.

Yep - me too - last January.
    Its never even gotten warm during use (set to 10Amps on the charger unit) over prolonged periods over consecutive days etc..

jmpie wrote: »
    The demo one I had, did have the 3-pin charger in the boot, I might ask the dealer to through it in from the demo.
    The story sounds like a load of crap to me anyway, they just don't want to supply them as save a few quid I'd say.

Based on what we all know on these forums & about EVs from other EV owners, I 100% agree with you. Until they can backup their claims with proof / data for us - its a load of crap as far as I'm concerned. Just shafting Irish Customers again.

We would all be well aware from the feedback & problems other EV owners were reporting if there was indeed any huge / significant problems using the Granny Cables from any manufacturer.

Most car forums appear very active & where there are real problems, we usually tend to know from owners first hand (before the manufacturers know or publicly acknowledge)

I've been reading EV forums for a year (in advance of buying my own one last January). I can't recall seeing any large posts / threads about issues with Granny Charger Plugs Melting in Ireland (or the UK from their forums)or issues people have had related to old house wiring etc..

I'd be pushing them for the evidence to support their claim that seems specific to the Ireland Market! (According to the stance they are adopting from their feedback).

It has been confirmed by a UK buyer that the granny cable is included in their cars.

This is just Kia Ireland pulling a fast one and pocketing the money they save by not having to supply one. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

It has been confirmed by a UK buyer that the granny cable is included in their cars.

This is just Kia Ireland pulling a fast one and pocketing the money they save by not having to supply one. :mad:

Exactly, probably saving about €300 per unit sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Otherwise known as Paddy spec.

Well, off they can fuck! They're not getting the granny charger with the Ioniq. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Well, off they can fuck! They're not getting the granny charger with the Ioniq. :mad:

You know what to say if they ask you for it;

"Threw it in the bin after it melted on me one night"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You assume Ioniq granny charger works on eNiro or did you hear from a UK user who tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You assume Ioniq granny charger works on eNiro or did you hear from a UK user who tried it?

No reason why it shouldn’t. It’s just an EVSE like the one on your wall.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Type 2 granny chargers are a standard implementation. The Zoe ones may have a difference due to some grounding issues that Zoes are sensitive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good to know, thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Now, how do you get on to that tweety thing? :D

Just stuck up a tweet regarding this, hopefully we gain a little momentum and they may reconsider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Just stuck up a tweet regarding this, hopefully we gain a little momentum and they may reconsider.

can you link your tweet pls?

Advertisement