Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

slave1 wrote: »
    We need some photos, someone put their golf clubs in the boot for a pic please

I can put an IKEA bag for scale in there if that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

I'm really interested in getting an EV....possibly new in 2020

Can I ask, how are people financing their new cars? Are there any 0% finance deals? Do people get loans?

I've never had a car loan before and always saved up, but I've never bought new. But if I got a 0% loan, I might be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

Barney224 wrote: »
    I'm really interested in getting an EV....possibly new in 2020

Can I ask, how are people financing their new cars? Are there any 0% finance deals? Do people get loans?

I've never had a car loan before and always saved up, but I've never bought new. But if I got a 0% loan, I might be tempted.

Saved up for it. usually start saving after buying a car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

slave1 wrote: »
    We need some photos, someone put their golf clubs in the boot for a pic please

just got it, ill get to putting clubs at the weekend. some car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I took the car out for a 200km round trip today, more to get a proper feel for the car than anything else.

Drive compared to Ioniq.
    Very similar feel to the drive in the Ioniq, very familiar as all the controls are the same, bar a few small things like gear selector. The driving position is a good bit higher and visibility is better. Seats are firmer in the Niro, but more built in support. I really miss the Ioniq's lumbar support, I still haven't found the ideal seat/steering position combination. The ventilation arrangement is much better in the Niro, with plenty of fresh air available by just opening the dash vents.

The Niro is a lot more powerful than Ioniq, at all speeds. Accelerating to overtake at any speed is smile inducing. The car feels a bit heavier, probably because it is. :P

Driver assist
    This bit surprised the most. The LKAS comes on every time you start the car and you can feel the little gremlin tugging at the steering sometimes. It's nowhere as good as the LKAS in Ioniq, but the LFA more than makes up for that. LKAS can be turned off like the VESS, some will hate it and add it to the routine of VESS off, Hill Hold on, etc. I don't mind it at all and won't bother adding it to the start up list.

The LFA is amazing. it only seems to be available when the adaptive cruise is on. Let go of the steering wheel and it just keeps the car smoothly on course. It will allow you to go hands free for about 15 seconds then give a single bong, which you can either ignore, just flick the wheel with your thumb to reset the timer, or put your hands back on the wheel. If you ignore, it will give you another 15 seconds before it will really start to nag you. A quick flick of the thumb again resets it. Really wide lanes tend to keep the car out from the hard shoulder more than I would like, as the car centres, but they are few and far between. All LFA steering adjustments are smooth as glass.

Auto regen is a fantastic piece of work. I had it set to zero regen and auto. It uses the radar to decide if energy can be recovered and it's really intuitive. With zero regen set the car will apply as much as it can without losing the benefit of coasting, and it will return to zero when it slows you down. It will apply level 1, 2 or three as it detects cars ahead that are going slower than you.

Range
    Oh my sweet lord! I can see a problem of forgetting to charge the thing. Similar to how one might forget to fill an ICE car.

Plus and Minus
    As I said I will miss the lumbar support from the Ioniq, I'll also miss the LED headlights, but I can rectify that one easily enough. The smaller screen of the infotainment system is a bit disappointing, but, I'll probably get used to it. The under floor storage in the Niro boot is a big plus when your co-pilot insists on bringing a life support system everywhere with you. Although it is a smidge shorter and narrower than the Ioniq, it feels like a much bigger car.

I was really sorry to see the Ioniq go, but the E-Niro makes it all better. :D

Any questions from the floor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well wear and enjoy that range :)

Maybe you need to drive it more, but I would be interested what your thoughts are on the difference (apart from the warnings) on motorways with LKAS + LFA + active cruise on compared to Ioniq with LKAS + active cruise on? In the way the car behaves and how reliable it seems to be? Did you try a bottle, or a bag of coins in either?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

This bit surprised the most. The LKAS comes on every time you start the car and you can feel the little gremlin tugging at the steering sometimes. It's nowhere as good as the LKAS in Ioniq, but the LFA more than makes up for that. LKAS can be turned off like the VESS, some will hate it and add it to the routine of VESS off, Hill Hold on, etc. I don't mind it at all and won't bother adding it to the start up list.
    unkel wrote: »
    Maybe you need to drive it more, but I would be interested what your thoughts are on the difference (apart from the warnings) on motorways with LKAS + LFA + active cruise on compared to Ioniq with LKAS + active cruise on? In the way the car behaves and how reliable it seems to be? Did you try a bottle, or a bag of coins in either?

I'd wonder why they have LKAS and LFA at all... why not just LFA. From what I can tell they are based on the same tech.... camera, radar and steering adjustments.... why the need for two features when LFA on its own covers everything?

The Kia LKAS is crap, imo.
    They should just have LFA and be done with it.

Well wear and enjoy that range :)

Part of the drive today was on a well marked 100kmh national road. I had active cruise and LFA on. It's almost like it was learning as it went. The first junction it came to, the car wanted to follow the yellow line where cars filter off to take a turn, and I had to hold the wheel to keep it in the lane. The next junction, it seemed to ignore the yellow line and picked up the white lane divider instead. Of the many turnoffs on the road, it didn't try to deviate again. With the Ioniq, I always had to hold the steering at motorway exits, as it wanted to follow the slip road rather than the lane. I can't really put my finger on it, but the LFA seems to inspire more confidence.

To be honest, I wouldn't feel the need to try to trick the system. I had my hands resting on my legs and just flicked the steering wheel with my thumb (just a small touch required) every thirty seconds or so. I'm sure I will quickly learn to trust the car the way I trusted the Ioniq. When I first got the Ioniq, I was covering the brake all the time when adaptive cruise was bring me to a full stop behind traffic. After about 6 months of using the car, I had 100% confidence it would come to a complete stop in a fully controlled fashion.

I'll have to learn to trust this system, but I have a high degree of confidence in it already.

Did I mention the range? :D:D After the 200km trip today I went in to Wexford to have lunch. I didn't even bother to connect it to a charger, We parked opposite the quays and strolled across the bridge to eat. Back home now with more range remaining than a fully charged Ioniq. No point in plugging it in tonight. :D

KCross wrote: »
    I'd wonder why they have LKAS and LFA at all... why not just LFA. From what I can tell they are based on the same tech.... camera, radar and steering adjustments.... why the need for two features when LFA on its own covers everything?

The Kia LKAS is crap, imo.
    They should just have LFA and be done with it.

I can see that I'm going to have to try out the LKAS hands free to see how bad it really is. I'll report back if I make it home. :D

I wouldn't trust any of these systems yet in other than motorway driving. Not even on national roads where of course the damage of any possible accident would be greatest. Hit a tree at 100km/h and you are dead. Even the very latest version of Tesla AP I tested last week was pretty crap in city driving
    With the Ioniq, I always had to hold the steering at motorway exits, as it wanted to follow the slip road rather than the lane.

Yes Ioniq does that. Doesn't happen to me much as I would be overtaking a lot of the time (so would be in the lane with uninterrupted lines on both sides :D

I do trust the system to some extent in those circumstances, but I would always pay full attention (even though may hands and feet are not touching the controls)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't trust any of these systems yet in other than motorway driving. Not even on national roads where of course the damage of any possible accident would be greatest. Hit a tree at 100km/h and you are dead. Even the very latest version of Tesla AP I tested last week was pretty crap in city driving

Yes Ioniq does that. Doesn't happen to me much as I would be overtaking a lot of the time (so would be in the lane with uninterrupted lines on both sides :D

I do trust the system to some extent in those circumstances, but I would always pay full attention (even though may hands and feet are not touching the controls)

Ah yeah, full attention is a given. I just stopped covering the brake as I knew the car would roll to a complete stop behind the last car at a traffic light. Or if the car in front slows down, that my car would slow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Did you do pcp Silent?

What kinda interest rates did you get or anyone that bought one get

I see 0% pcp on Niro Hybrid

Anyone get that offer on eNiro?

Next question: does the car start driving by itself again in heavy traffic after it has been stopped for more than a few seconds? Ioniq and most other cars I'm aware of with ACC don't :(

Tesla Model 3 does start again by itself. Very handy on the busy M50.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Did you do pcp Silent?

What kinda interest rates did you get or anyone that bought one get

I see 0% pcp on Niro Hybrid

Anyone get that offer on eNiro?

No. I paid cash as I'm a flash bastardo. :D

Next question: does the car start driving by itself again in heavy traffic after it has been stopped for more than a few seconds? Ioniq and most other cars I'm aware of with ACC don't :(

Oooh, haven't tried that one yet... I'll let you know. I'll be surprised if it isn't the same as the Ioniq: the steering wheel button or accelerator.

Had a bit of fun today. Tomorrow's commute to work will be a truth teller. 130km each way. But so far it's an amazing car. Couldn't be happier.

kevin16w wrote: »
    Had a bit of fun today. Tomorrow's commute to work will be a truth teller. 130km each way. But so far it's an amazing car. Couldn't be happier.

Interior looks well

Must drive one

Had a bit of fun today. Tomorrow's commute to work will be a truth teller. 130km each way.

With a mega commute like that, the car is well worth the premium. Well wear. What do you do, 60-70k km per year?

With a mega commute like that, the car is well worth the premium. Well wear. What do you do, 60-70k km per year?

thanks, yeah its something like that. never paid much attention. ill know this time next year...

Charge rate doesn't seem bad either

Watching Bjorn video and he gets 10%-45% in about 20 mins ( 50km to 210km)

Not Tesla quick, but acceptable

• Advertisement

Well wear.

Did you get anywhere on the granny charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Surely every boardsie didn’t stroll in with cash!? :)

There is very little info about the PCP / HP deals on offer.

I have 3.9% in my head for some reason.

Batesy wrote: »

3 years @ 3.9% is what I have seen on the website for pcp

Think some garages offer 5 years with lower monthly payments, interest rate probably worse

Well wear.

Did you get anywhere on the granny charger?

No but don't suspect I need it ever. There are plenty of chargers around for what the granny will offer for me. Brought it to fast charger just to see how it operates. Took a few tries but it eventually started. Only issue is I can't seem to pick the door. I don't plan on leaving anywhere but just wanted to see how it all works. I'm sure I'll get it.

Batesy wrote: »

HP for me at 4.9% as couldn't do PCP with the mileage I do.
    I'm still very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

I had the eSoul on a test drive on Saturday, I had the LFA on and when it stopped in traffic, it didn't disengage after being stopped for a few seconds like the Intellegent Cruise Control on the Leaf 40. Once the traffic started moving again, I just tipped the accelerator and the LFA kicked in again. I presume the eNiro would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I tried! Got a flat no.

Gonna get one second hand just for emergencies

icom wrote: »
    Once the traffic started moving again, I just tipped the accelerator and the LFA kicked in again.

Yeah, but that is sh1t. Ioniq is the same. Either tip the accelerator or press the cruise set button. Pain in the neck. A proper system will start moving again all by itself. That's what Tesla Model 3 does.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I read it was something like "if it stops for more than 3 seconds you have to start it again, otherwise it's automatic".

The new Soul has the upgraded system, might be better.

• Advertisement

kuro68k wrote: »
    I read it was something like "if it stops for more than 3 seconds you have to start it again, otherwise it's automatic".

The new Soul has the upgraded system, might be better.

The E-Soul on demo here at the moment is the newest one, so it'll have the upgraded system. That's as good as it's gonna get for the moment.

I'd prefer for it to start again without intervention, but it's not a big deal to restart it with the steering wheel button. My feet will be off the pedals, but my hand will be on the steering wheel anyway.

Advertisement