Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

kevin16w wrote: »
    No but don't suspect I need it ever. There are plenty of chargers around for what the granny will offer for me. Brought it to fast charger just to see how it operates. Took a few tries but it eventually started. Only issue is I can't seem to pick the door. I don't plan on leaving anywhere but just wanted to see how it all works. I'm sure I'll get it.

The charging network has gone down in the past, other half got stuck on the way home from Dublin very late a few years back and found a 24hr shop that let her Granny charge enough to make it home, other than that she would have been stranded in the wee hours...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

slave1 wrote: »
    The charging network has gone down in the past, other half got stuck on the way home from Dublin very late a few years back and found a 24hr shop that let her Granny charge enough to make it home, other than that she would have been stranded in the wee hours...
    Did the insurance not cover free roadside collection?
    I have it with Zurich and for 3 years with Nissan

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kuro68k wrote: »
    I read it was something like "if it stops for more than 3 seconds you have to start it again, otherwise it's automatic".

The new Soul has the upgraded system, might be better.

Same in Ioniq. But obviously a lot of the time you are stopped for more than 3s, so you have to tip the accelerator or tip the switch

Mind, we all got a bit spoilt already. Remember when we had to work the clutch, brake, gears and accelerator while listening to that nasty engine? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Don't forget impaling the steering column with a metal rod!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

liamog wrote: »

Or no crumple zones. The car stopped, but your internal organs carried on until they hit your ribs. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

someone, somewhere once said...
    if you want to decrease driver deaths do the following. Remove all airbags from steering wheels. Replace then with a large metal spike that protrudes from the centre of the steering wheel, and stops 3 inches below the drivers face.
    then people will drive safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

someone, somewhere once said...
    if you want to decrease driver deaths do the following. Remove all airbags from steering wheels. Replace then with a large metal spike that protrudes from the centre of the steering wheel, and stops 3 inches below the drivers face.
    then people will drive safely.

:D one good kick to the back of my seat from my daughter would kill me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I was told PCP was 3.x% on the eNiro but was told and wasn’t written down

The PHEV at 0% is exceptional value

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I was told PCP was 3.x% on the eNiro but was told and wasn’t written down

The PHEV at 0% is exceptional value

phev was 3.9% for early 191s..... then went to 0% when eNiro was released... must be pushing last stock of phevs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

So, new Niro owners. What colour have you chosen for your ambient lighting?

I chose blue as it matches the accents on the outside.... and I like blue. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

I'm still waiting on news of the car and grant so hopefully will have it by next weekend, I think Red to suit the exterior!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

Yeah, i went with the blue, but i also like the bronze and sometimes red to match car

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Trying to find info about software and firmware versions I think mine is probably out of date, will post mine when I get back to the car but can any new owners let me know the versions you have please

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mulletamoeba

Got an e niro yesterday. Nice car. Still getting the hang of the various drivers aids. Its Disappointing that there is no granny cable as I'm still waiting for my home charging point to be installed. However it gave me a chance to try out the public charging solutions in the northwest.

I went to two public charging spots. The first one, which ESB told me hadn't been used in a month, didn't work. The second one ultimately did work, but only at 7kw rather than the advertised 22kw. Topped up by 2.4kw of juice.

I'm sure once the home charger is installed it'll be grand, but you would want the patience of a saint to be relying on public chargers. The mind boggles if one was to add queues to the mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I went to two public charging spots. The first one, which ESB told me hadn't been used in a month, didn't work. The second one ultimately did work, but only at 7kw rather than the advertised 22kw. Topped up by 2.4kw of juice.

KIA can only take 7kW from AC power, AFAIR only Renault and Tesla can take full 22kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mulletamoeba

September1 wrote: »
    KIA can only take 7kW from AC power, AFAIR only Renault and Tesla can take full 22kW.

Ah! Thanks for the information. I'm surprised to hear that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Zoe is the only mainstream EV that can take the 22 so the norm is max 7, even the Tesla needs an optional dual charger (AFAIK)to take the 22

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And yet you shouldn't be, you should have been told. Mainstream dealers are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Got an e niro yesterday. Nice car. Still getting the hang of the various drivers aids. Its Disappointing that there is no granny cable as I'm still waiting for my home charging point to be installed. However it gave me a chance to try out the public charging solutions in the northwest.

I'm sure once the home charger is installed it'll be grand, but you would want the patience of a saint to be relying on public chargers. The mind boggles if one was to add queues to the mix!

Edit other posters made the point I was making already

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Does anyone know if the granny chargers are model specific.

I have a granny charger that came with my Leaf 40, was wondering if I used it on another brand of car with a type 2 connector, would it charge, or would it only do a handshake with a Leaf 40 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

They're standard, so it should charge any car with a type 2 connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

You can change that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

icom wrote: »

Does anyone know if the granny chargers are model specific.

I have a granny charger that came with my Leaf 40, was wondering if I used it on another brand of car with a type 2 connector, would it charge, or would it only do a handshake with a Leaf 40 ?

I bought a second hand Hyundai one today, worked fine with the Niro. Don't think there is much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    You can change that?!

I didn't know about that either. Found this on Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfZqippjS0

I've also seen people saying it's not on the UK model. So is it really not in UK but is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Are we expecting updates on Kia's range? I notice the entire New Car section has gone missing from their main page. You can still access it elsewhere, but it isn't fully functional. Maybe updating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

What's the lifetime of the battery on the eniro?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

chewed wrote: »

50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

JohnC. wrote: »
    Are we expecting updates on Kia's range? I notice the entire New Car section has gone missing from their main page. You can still access it elsewhere, but it isn't fully functional. Maybe updating?

Their website has been a disaster generally recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

chewed wrote: »

That's a very difficult question to answer it could be any length of time, it depends on loads of parameters, like charging patterns, usage, temperature (it has cooling) but it could be still serviceable in 20 years.

My 5 year old 24 kwh leaf still has 12 bars on the battery and 111000 km on it. the large battery should even do better as it won't be stressed as much. I nearly have to fully charge the Leaf 5/6 days a week. I won't be needing that on the eNiro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

I collected mine on Saturday - got it in red - delighted with it :) I obviously haven't played with enough settings yet cos I didn't realise there was an ambient lighting setting - thanks for the tip! :pac:

Thanks to all who contribute on this thread (and the wider forum), it was a great help and one of the best resources I found when I was researching what EV to get. :)

Advertisement