Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

argolis wrote: »
    I collected mine on Saturday - got it in red - delighted with it :) I obviously haven't played with enough settings yet cos I didn't realise there was an ambient lighting setting - thanks for the tip! :pac:

Thanks to all who contribute on this thread (and the wider forum), it was a great help and one of the best resources I found when I was researching what EV to get. :)

Wish you to enjoy it.

Can you share how long was it that you waited for ? Is a big !queue" to get them ?
    Also, what specs, same as UK,please.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

I would imagine the same as all of the dealers, the limited allocation for July were booked up months in advance and there was a waiting/cancellations list after that. I was just lucky that I was in there at exactly the right day and got my name down for the last one.

I was told that the next batch landing into the country will be in January, it's a bigger batch but still seems limited. The dealership got 5 in July and are getting 15 in January next. Whether that's indicative of all dealerships getting a bump in the numbers available, I don't know.

Anyone having any trouble closing the bonnet? It doesn't seem to be catching right for me, I don't want to force it too much :-o

SORRY....5 (five) cars delivered in half a year !? ... and few more after 6(six) months !??

Looking for one like in 3-4 weeks max end of August...going to few local dealers this week..

seems crazy, can't be right,isn't??

LE
    checking KIA.ie website and it points me to some wrong links, with "temp-kia.com"...
    Also, their Hire Purchase HP page asks for a minim 40% deposit ?
    Very peculiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

rolion wrote: »
    SORRY....5 (five) cars delivered in half a year !? ... and few more after 6(six) months !??

Looking for one like in 3-4 weeks max end of August...going to few local dealers this week..

seems crazy, can't be right,isn't??

LE
    checking KIA.ie website and it points me to some wrong links, with "temp-kia.com"...
    Also, their Hire Purchase HP page asks for a minim 40% deposit ?
    Very peculiar...

What I heard is there are 50 cars delivered to Ireland for 2019 and they are all spoken for and if you want to order one you will need to wait until 2020 for new delivery of cars.

The production levels are low its a similar situation in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I would imagine the same as all of the dealers, the limited allocation for July were booked up months in advance and there was a waiting/cancellations list after that. I was just lucky that I was in there at exactly the right day and got my name down for the last one.

I was told that the next batch landing into the country will be in January, it's a bigger batch but still seems limited. The dealership got 5 in July and are getting 15 in January next. Whether that's indicative of all dealerships getting a bump in the numbers available, I don't know.

Anyone having any trouble closing the bonnet? It doesn't seem to be catching right for me, I don't want to force it too much :-o

I found it best to drop the bonnet from a height of about 40cm. It's very difficult to lower it and push it to lock. The drop does the trick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Wanted to check firmware but difficult to find info online, i have my car a while so wondering if any of the newer models have newer updates

Software - DE_EV.EUR.SOP.004.12.181018.STD_M
    Firmware - DE_EV.EUR.0.5.306.180820.MICOM
    NAV App - STD_AVN_MID.EUR.KMC180808.4610902
    Map - EUR.10.41.46.703.110.2(D.D2/E.D2)

Could other please check their versions and let me know please

jmpie wrote: »
    What I heard is there are 50 cars delivered to Ireland for 2019 and they are all spoken for and if you want to order one you will need to wait until 2020 for new delivery of cars.

KIA local dealer said next year.
    They can't take even a reservation or a pre-order as it could be anytime next year.

So,for those lucky guys...if your car breaks down or needs a part or soemthing,how will you manage the curtoasy car or service time until next year !?

So,back to Nissan L62 then...one in local stock, in white and blue.

I found it best to drop the bonnet from a height of about 40cm. It's very difficult to lower it and push it to lock. The drop does the trick. :)

Yeah, I found that this morning too :) I haven't had to drop a bonnet from that high before. My wife suggested reading the manual, so I saw that it suggests a 30cm drop :rolleyes: Now I have to tell her that reading the manual worked, despite me saying I know how to close a bonnet :p

Cheers for that, good to know it's not just mine!

Wanted to check firmware but difficult to find info online, i have my car a while so wondering if any of the newer models have newer updates

Mine has these details:
    Software - DE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.7.181019.STD_M
    Firmware - DE_EV.EUR.0.5.315.180914.MICOM
    NAV App - STD_AVN_MID.EUR.KMC.180928.b5c9193
    Map - EUR.11.41.46.704.101.2(D.E2/E.E2)

So it looks like there's a few updates alright. If it's difficult to get firmware info online, do they only want the garages doing the updates? Is it possible to download the firmware from somewhere and do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it possible to download the firmware from somewhere and do it yourself?

It is, pretty straightforward too. Dig deep into the Ioniq thread and you will find it. Careful though, one owner on here nearly bricked his car doing a firmware update.

The safer route is to find out exactly what the newer version fixes over the older version you have, then go to the dealer and demand a fix of the problem under warranty (so the dealer will update the firmware)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They'll upgrade it free and wash and vac the car too lol - well they did when I had my Niro updated to get Car Play added a few years ago!!

tk123 wrote: »
    They'll upgrade it free and wash and vac the car too lol - well they did when I had my Niro updated to get Car Play added a few years ago!!

Was this in a Dublin dealer ? Did you have to book it in with them ?

unkel wrote: »
    It is, pretty straightforward too. Dig deep into the Ioniq thread and you will find it. Careful though, one owner on here nearly bricked his car doing a firmware update.

The safer route is to find out exactly what the newer version fixes over the older version you have, then go to the dealer and demand a fix of the problem under warranty (so the dealer will update the firmware)

Thanks Unkel yeah find it difficult to get any information on the firmware versions and fixes included thanks for the tip though

Was this in a Dublin dealer ? Did you have to book it in with them ?

Yep Joe Duffy in Airside.. I called them to ask if the upgrade was available.. guy didn't know what I was on about, called me back and told me bring it over. I think it must have been the same day as I brought it over at lunchtime and hung around waiting for it?

I'll be over with them soon to collect my hybrid Niro after they replaced a relay that was recalled so I'll take a look at the e-niro then and find out what the story will be with trading in! :pac:

That's not the latest software, firmware or maps.
    The latest software is: ...SOP.005.7.181019.STD_M
    Firmware is: ...EUR.0.5.315.180914.MICOM
    Nav App is: ...KMC.180928.b5c9193
    Maps: EUR.11.41.46.704.101.1(D.E2/E.E2)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

That's not the latest software, firmware or maps.
    The latest software is: ...SOP.005.7.181019.STD_M
    Firmware is: ...EUR.0.5.315.180914.MICOM
    Nav App is: ...KMC.180928.b5c9193
    Maps: EUR.11.41.46.704.101.1(D.E2/E.E2)

I that other car a PHEV, if they have it for a while?

I that other car a PHEV, if they have it for a while?

Could be a Nordie. :)

Thanks very much, how do you know/ find out what the most current software and firmware are ?

And its a full electric and not nordie :)

I think I got it from here

My week old car has that software/firmware/maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

KIA local dealer said next year.
    They can't take even a reservation or a pre-order as it could be anytime next year.

So,for those lucky guys...if your car breaks down or needs a part or soemthing,how will you manage the curtoasy car or service time until next year !?

So,back to Nissan L62 then...one in local stock, in white and blue.

The supply situation isn't necessarily a barrier to you getting a courtesy car.

Sure it would be nice to get an EV like your own - but you can still work away with an ICE car while Kia do what they have to do with your own.

Parts????? - I assume Kia will get the part required in for you. The fact the car supply is low doesn't mean the part supply is literally zero.

You can get a Nissan quite quickly for sure but that's literally the main reason for anyone in the know about EVs to buy one (Nissan).

The superior product that the Koreans deliver is well worth the wait.

If you can't wait because your old car is end of life - I'd be picking up the cheapest decent condition usable car I could get insured on.

And using that as a stopgap.

Much better then the faff that is Nissan EV 40 and 62 kwh EV ownership

I was told today that they won’t have any until Jan, gave me ballpark figure for trade in and I’d need to go on the waiting list etc etc He said it was the dealers that asked Kia to put the notice up that 192 stock is sold out as they’re spending hours every day talking to people about them! They took a 172 hybrid Niro in as a trade in last week and it was sold in days which is good news for me trading in.

• Advertisement

@old_Diesel

Thanks,appreciated your reply.

I tought long before replying and i am doing it just for the "faff" of driving or owning a LEAF...or maybe two.
    Not sure where you get that impression, to be honest,but i am experiencing a simillar feeling when i try to imagine driving in a Tesla... so i believe you.You feel different than me and i respect your opinion.Now,let me get my hard earned cash and wait another year to drive the eNiro... maybe i should keep dreaming.

I spoke with Sales Reps and with service guy in KIA and i have made my mind.Not worth it...now.
    Cant say more as i dont want to attribute any kind of negativism to the brand or local dealers.
    Despite a "superior quality product" that is not avalaible until maybe March 2020 let me have my own satisfaction driving a faff LEAF that i can use it ... tomorrow. Nothing wrong with that,i think.ASSuMEptions is the mother of walking home without a car...

If i am in sales business and tell my clients that i can sell you a product now but i have none in stock until next year,what kind of impression i generate,what kind of relation do i try to establish here ?

I have absolutely no intention to offend KIA or eNiro,i had the application for finance approved by my bank manager just... not worth it today.
    I envy those that owns the car but, i guarantee you, next year it will be another faff EV car that will beat eNiro or this kind of attitude.

Be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

@old_Diesel

Thanks,appreciated your reply.

I tought long before replying and i am doing it just for the "faff" of driving or owning a LEAF...or maybe two.
    Not sure where you get that impression, to be honest,but i am experiencing a simillar feeling when i try to imagine driving in a Tesla... so i believe you.You feel different than me and i respect your opinion.Now,let me get my hard earned cash and wait another year to drive the eNiro... maybe i should keep dreaming.

I spoke with Sales Reps and with service guy in KIA and i have made my mind.Not worth it...now.
    Cant say more as i dont want to attribute any kind of negativism to the brand or local dealers.
    Despite a "superior quality product" that is not avalaible until maybe March 2020 let me have my own satisfaction driving a faff LEAF that i can use it ... tomorrow. Nothing wrong with that,i think.ASSuMEptions is the mother of walking home without a car...

If i am in sales business and tell my clients that i can sell you a product now but i have none in stock until next year,what kind of impression i generate,what kind of relation do i try to establish here ?

I have absolutely no intention to offend KIA or eNiro,i had the application for finance approved by my bank manager just... not worth it today.
    I envy those that owns the car but, i guarantee you, next year it will be another faff EV car that will beat eNiro or this kind of attitude.

Be good...

My apologies......

I thought the reason you were looking at Nissan was purely because you could get one now.

Obviously if you really like the car and think it could work great for you - then go for it.

I did try a Leaf in January and to be honest it was one of the nicest cars I ever experienced.

Were it not for Rapidgate - I'd probably own one now.

It looks great imo, the interior is actually pleasant enough in black which I normally hate.

The Nissan gear selector is great and I could happily have lived with one in general.

But the car is going to have a number of drivers and as such Nissans battery cooling isn't up to scratch.

Especially when you get to L62 money as well.

I looked at the Leaf 40 when I was buying last year. It was available whereas the only real competition, the Ioniq, wasn't available. I still managed to buy an Ioniq, because it's a better car with no battery issues, it can cover the same distance as the Leaf 40 with a much smaller battery, and because it charges faster as well, less time is spent charging.

When I needed a longer range car, I looked at the E-Niro at the end of May, which in theory wasn't available. I still managed to buy one and it's outside my house right now.

I'm told there are still a few E-Soul available, so the cars can be bought, you just need to a be a bit proactive to get one. Apparently there are loads of 64kWh Konas available. If you can live with a poor spec, the range is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I'm told there are still a few E-Soul available, so the cars can be bought, you just need to a be a bit proactive to get one. Apparently there are loads of 64kWh Konas available. If you can live with a poor spec, the range is excellent.

E-soul is a great car but overpriced. If it was 5k less it would really be a competition to say Nissan. 38k is way too much for this ugly, albeit very practical box IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

McGiver wrote: »
    E-soul is a great car but overpriced. If it was 5k less it would really be a competition to say Nissan. 38k is way too much for this ugly, albeit very practical box IMHO.

I feel every single EV for sale at the moment is overpriced :(

With no reports of people getting Ioniq on scrappage for 192, the only exceptions maybe some of the Teslas, like the Model 3 P and the entry level S and X

McGiver wrote: »

With the E-Soul, you can't do a direct comparison with any Nissan. It has a bigger battery than the it's nearest Nissan competitor, the Leaf 60, and the E-Soul has battery thermal management, proper independent rear suspension, full digital dash, better efficiency, etc. The Leaf 60 looks to be about €3k more expensive than the E-Soul and E-Niro.

The E-Soul is the same price as the E-Niro, It's smaller but it has a better spec. It's looks would put a lot of people off though.

But, yeah, all EVs are overpriced at the moment, Teslas included.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    I feel every single EV for sale at the moment is overpriced :(

Yep, the bench of a ~64 battery EV is well and truly set now at ~€39k and it ain't gonna budge for many many years making the switch to EV outside the means of the masses

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

slave1 wrote: »
    Yep, the bench of a ~64 battery EV is well and truly set now at ~€39k and it ain't gonna budge for many many years making the switch to EV outside the means of the masses

Hoping the PSA group can change that

If 50kWh 208e/eCorsa/Zoe etc come in under €30,000 as it seems they will.

Hard to justify €9,000 extra for 20% bigger battery

Zoe50 has more range than Leaf62 on WLTP

Think 50kWh is enough for most, like filling up with 25e diesel, who does that every night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I suppose its the battery tech and shortage that's going to affect the price going forward for quite awhile, there's a lot of investment /development cost to be recouped on a rapidly evolving / advancing technology...
    It seems like there's a new more advanced battery being fitted every 2 years or so,
    On the plus side the ownership cost of electric cars is still way lower than an ice car, so if you're paying 250 euro a month for your new ice car and adding in 100 a month for diesel, plus lower resale values, more servicing, tax Ect,
    Then it's still cheaper to pay 350 a month for an electric,
    At some point car tax or something is going to have to go up to account for lower state revenue, (but I though that of the 08 low tax diesels, and that hasn't really happened yet)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Tomripley

I looked at the Leaf 40 when I was buying last year. It was available whereas the only real competition, the Ioniq, wasn't available. I still managed to buy an Ioniq, because it's a better car with no battery issues, it can cover the same distance as the Leaf 40 with a much smaller battery, and because it charges faster as well, less time is spent charging.

When I needed a longer range car, I looked at the E-Niro at the end of May, which in theory wasn't available. I still managed to buy one and it's outside my house right now.

The poor spec is what gets me. Its a terrible terrible tear down inside. Looks very cheap for that price. Niro and soul same price better looking and fully loaded.

Advertisement