Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

Hi everyone. I am actually looking for help as I am still new at ev ownership even though I felt like I have done a bit of research.
    So I have finally got EVBox Elvi set up in house and came home this evening and decided I’d plug it in straight away. I haven’t moved to night rate and figured I need to learn anyway.
    So when I plug it in or even when I go back to check on it it says charging current is quite low e.g. 0.5kWh or something like that. Then after a min or so it goes up to 7.3kWh. But the estimated duration doesn’t adjust and remains high at 33hours. I want to be able to schedule charging for off peak and such but if it’s going to be estimating 33hours it will always charge from when I plug it in. I also hope it won’t actually take 33hours but don’t feel like it will especially if it’s consistent at 7.3kWh. I also have issues with hey EVBox app so can’t tell what’s being drawn. It’s also strange that it keeps dropping when I open door to check on rate. Am I going nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

kevin16w wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am actually looking for help as I am still new at ev ownership even though I felt like I have done a bit of research.
    So I have finally got EVBox Elvi set up in house and came home this evening and decided I’d plug it in straight away. I haven’t moved to night rate and figured I need to learn anyway.
    So when I plug it in or even when I go back to check on it it says charging current is quite low e.g. 0.5kWh or something like that. Then after a min or so it goes up to 7.3kWh. But the estimated duration doesn’t adjust and remains high at 33hours. I want to be able to schedule charging for off peak and such but if it’s going to be estimating 33hours it will always charge from when I plug it in. I also hope it won’t actually take 33hours but don’t feel like it will especially if it’s consistent at 7.3kWh. I also have issues with hey EVBox app so can’t tell what’s being drawn. It’s also strange that it keeps dropping when I open door to check on rate. Am I going nuts.

The 0.5 kw at the start is probably while the car is just starting the charge my Leaf does this and then goes to the full charge rate once it has complete its startup handshaking with the charger.

So if you have 64 kwh battery and its empty just a rough estimate of how long it will take is simply divde the battery size by the kWh rate so 64/7.3 =8.7 hours roughly there will be some losses etc ,but roughly its 9 hours to charge from empty on a 7.3 kW charger. there are some caveats to this as the battery becomes close to fully charged the rate of charge slows down so the last 10% (90-100%) will be less than 7.3kw so that will add some time this is because the internal resistance of the battery increases. it will continue to reduce the closer to full it gets.

Also you probably will always have some state of charge greater than 0% when you plug in so it won't always be charging from 0% this will shorten the time.

you probably don't need 100% everyday either you can set the % you stop at in the menus in the car so stop at 80% or 90% ... especially with a big battery.

I'm not sure why the car says it will take 33 hours to charge to full maybe that the estimated time based on the 0.5kw and the current state of charge when you plug in first, not sure. is it showing on the car or the charger? car I assume.

jmpie wrote: »
    The 0.5 kw at the start is probably while the car is just starting the charge my Leaf does this and then goes to the full charge rate once it has complete its startup handshaking with the charger.

So if you have 64 kwh battery and its empty just a rough estimate of how long it will take is simply divde the battery size by the kWh rate so 64/7.3 =8.7 hours roughly there will be some losses etc ,but roughly its 9 hours to charge from empty on a 7.3 kW charger. there are some caveats to this as the battery becomes close to fully charged the rate of charge slows down so the last 10% (90-100%) will be less than 7.3kw so that will add some time this is because the internal resistance of the battery increases. it will continue to reduce the closer to full it gets.

Also you probably will always have some state of charge greater than 0% when you plug in so it won't always be charging from 0% this will shorten the time.

you probably don't need 100% everyday either you can set the % you stop at in the menus in the car so stop at 80% or 90% ... especially with a big battery.

I'm not sure why the car says it will take 33 hours to charge to full maybe that the estimated time based on the 0.5kw and the current state of charge when you plug in first, not sure. is it showing on the car or the charger? car I assume.

Thanks jmpie. As i have just gotten the charger I just wanted to make sure it is working ok so every hour or so i was checking progress. The only way to check is to open door and check and everytime i do this it shows 0.5 or something low like that then ramps up after a minute or so. This is even after an hour of charging. Plus it still remains with the high duration. I will probably keep going with 100% charging as it is taking 30% to get to work and 30% return as i commute to Dublin from Longford. It leaves 40% should i get called away in work to go to a site somewhere. I have still just trying to get used to it all. The readings are all coming from the car as the hey evbox app isnt what i had expected and hasnt as much functionality as i had hoped. i have a query in with them also as when i am charging and go to the dashboard it get a expectation failed error. also have no ability to see progress of charging or anything like that. im not sure if that should be the case with this app.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

The 0.5kW thing is for safety. When the doors unlock it drops down so you can unplug safely. If you lock the car or just wait a while it goes back up to normal rate.

kuro68k wrote: »
    The 0.5kW thing is for safety. When the doors unlock it drops down so you can unplug safely. If you lock the car or just wait a while it goes back up to normal rate.

Perfect, that makes sense. Thanks Kuro68k. i just need to figure out how to sort out the 33hours as i think this would affect scheduled charging.

• Advertisement

Perfect, that makes sense. Thanks Kuro68k. i just need to figure out how to sort out the 33hours as i think this would affect scheduled charging.

But is it actually charged in the morning when you come out? Its not actually taking 33 hours is it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My Ioniq does something similar with the zappi, charge time on the dash is something like 12 or 13 hours but current is 7kw. The car actually chargers in about 4 hours.

Apparently there's a fix for this but I couldn't be bothered, once you see the correct current is going in then it's probably fine.

But is it actually charged in the morning when you come out? Its not actually taking 33 hours is it?

Yes, its charged by the morning. I was just concerned that when i set up scheduled charging for off peak times that it wouldnt count for anything as the car was expecting a duration of 33 hours, so it would start as soon as i plugged in. Which mean i have to wait until before bed before going back out and plugging in. My expectation was to come home, plug in and leave. it would then start charging when it needed to, to get full before my expected leaving the house at 6:30am. I hope that makes sense.

Yes, its charged by the morning. I was just concerned that when i set up scheduled charging for off peak times that it wouldnt count for anything as the car was expecting a duration of 33 hours, so it would start as soon as i plugged in. Which mean i have to wait until before bed before going back out and plugging in. My expectation was to come home, plug in and leave. it would then start charging when it needed to, to get full before my expected leaving the house at 6:30am. I hope that makes sense.

you should be able to setup a timer in the car also that does this I have it on my Leaf, I don't have my eNiro yet so not familiar with the menu options, but its almost definitely an option to allow for timers I would say. have a look in the manual and mess around with the menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

This may be a stupid question but did anyone's eNiro come with a locking wheel nut for the alloys? It doesn't look to me like there's any nuts that require one for security, they just look like regular bolts and I can't find a locking wheel nut anywhere in the car.

The Kia UK website says locking wheel nuts come as standard, I can't access anything on the Kia Ireland website about the spec because of a load of the links are broken :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

argolis wrote:
    This may be a stupid question but did anyone's eNiro come with a locking wheel nut for the alloys? It doesn't look to me like there's any nuts that require one for security, they just look like regular bolts and I can't find a locking wheel nut anywhere in the car.

argolis wrote:
    The Kia UK website says locking wheel nuts come as standard, I can't access anything on the Kia Ireland website about the spec because of a load of the links are broken

No mine didn't I was looking at a boot mod from some one in the UK and noticed them and checked mine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are alloys still robbed these days? They're much more common now, I didnt think it was a thing anymore but maybe it depends on where you live.

In my last car I dumped the locking wheel nuts and replaced it with a standard one as the locking nuts eventually get rounded by tyre fitting companies using the air guns on them and then its a disaster trying to get the wheels off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KCross wrote: »
    Are alloys still robbed these days? They're much more common now, I didnt think it was a thing anymore but maybe it depends on where you live.

In my last car I dumped the locking wheel nuts and replaced it with a standard one as the locking nuts eventually get rounded by tyre fitting companies using the air guns on them and then its a disaster trying to get the wheels off.

Very very rare to get robbed. I do the same and dump the lock nuts. Got caught out twice now trying to get them off, both times I would have flats repaired, then months later look for lock nut and gone....the garage charge a fortune to take it off.....

The Car is in the dealers now just waiting on the SEAI to finalise the grant, which I hope will be soon. I called in yesterday evening for a look, the red is fantastic, delighted I went for it now. The photos aren't great as it was inside .

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

The Car is in the dealers now just waiting on the SEAI to finalise the grant, which I hope will be soon. I called in yesterday evening for a look, the red is fantastic, delighted I went for it now. The photos aren't great as it was inside .

It's a beauty. I love the red! VERY JEALOUS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They do look nice in that red

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looks lovely, first thing I'd be doing though is removing all dealer stickers etc, hate them

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

slave1 wrote: »
    Looks lovely, first thing I'd be doing though is removing all dealer stickers etc, hate them

Yeah, first thing I did too. Even removed the dealer advertising from the number plate surround, it's just black now. It's my car not their advertising hoarding. :D

slave1 wrote: »

Yeah I always do that I hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Very nice indeed - lovely pics.

I'm even excited for you looking at that!

I've no doubt you'll find it brilliant.

Wish you many years of great & trouble free motoring.

• Advertisement

Just took delivery of an alloy space saver spare wheel kit for the E-Niro. I never liked those goo and air pump things.

I tried it on the car and all's good. :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just took delivery of an alloy space saver spare wheel kit for the E-Niro. I never liked those goo and air pump things.

Is that an official bit of kit? Wouldn't mind getting something similar for the Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Where'd you get that from?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is that an official bit of kit? Wouldn't mind getting something similar for the Ioniq.

I asked Kia if they do an official spare wheel. They pointed me to some online third party tyre and wheel place that only sold steel wheels and only for the Niro with 16" wheels. I went with a UK store that does alloy space savers, with a jack, brace and bag. Dunno if I can mention the name without being called a shill. :p

I asked Kia if they do an official spare wheel. They pointed me to some online third party tyre and wheel place that only sold steel wheels and only for the Niro with 16" wheels. I went with a UK store that does alloy space savers, with a jack, brace and bag. Dunno if I can mention the name without being called a shill. :p

Hah, you're only a shill if you're working for them as far as I know. You can PM me if you don't want to name them :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hah, you're only a shill if you're working for them as far as I know. You can PM me if you don't want to name them :)

Fuck it, I'll take the chance, what's the worst that can happen? :D

www.tyremen.co.uk

The delivery is a bit spicy at £35, but I couldn't find another way. Either too big, too heavy or both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

thanks for the info on the firmware guys after much persuasion i eventually managed to get Kia dealership to install the update file they had which updated the firmware and software to the same version that Argolis and jmpie have running

Software - DE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.7.181019.STD_M
    Firmware - DE_EV.EUR.0.5.315.180914.MICOM
    NAV App - STD_AVN_MID.EUR.KMC.180928.b5c9193

however some how and i am still scratching my head instead of a sat nav version update it was downgraded and I am now on version

Map EUR.10.41.46.701.002.2(D.D2/E.D1) - arrrrgggghhhh, this is lower than the version i started on and the version you guys are running is
    Map - EUR.11.41.46.704.101.2(D.E2/E.E2)

all very frustrating
    How can i get this new map version !

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

wanted to book a test drive for e-niro. had no reply from dealers what so ever. decided to give dealers a call. apparently there are not a single e-niro available not even demo model. should be back in stock November, December 2019! Id say those are gona go for 2020 plates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    wanted to book a test drive for e-niro. had no reply from dealers what so ever. decided to give dealers a call. apparently there are not a single e-niro available not even demo model. should be back in stock November, December 2019! Id say those are gona go for 2020 plates :)
    If you're in Swords, they should have a test drive model. I wouldn't expect any availability until 2020 but it's worth checking non-Dublin dealerships like Donegal maybe ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

dmcg90 wrote: »
    If you're in Swords, they should have a test drive model. I wouldn't expect any availability until 2020 but it's worth checking non-Dublin dealerships like Donegal maybe ;)

I was calling up Castlebar and Donegal dealerships. And they have none.

Advertisement