Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

It doesn't matter when it was registered if you can get the dealer to sell it VAT free in the UK. Just pay the Irish VAT and a bit of VRT and you're done.

True but why pay Irish 23% as opposed to UK's 20% ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

KildareMan wrote: »
    True but why pay Irish 23% as opposed to UK's 20% ?

Cheaper (pre VAT) car, better spec, availability....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

why pay Irish 23% as opposed to UK's 20% ?

For the sake of probably a few hundred €uro, I'd rather the VAT stay here rather than go to the UK exchequer.

Think of it like the late Brian Lenihan - "a call to patriotic action".

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Kramer wrote: »
    For the sake of probably a few hundred €uro, I'd rather the VAT stay here rather than go to the UK exchequer.

Think of it like the late Brian Lenihan - "a call to patriotic action".

Except, and I'm open to correction, the vat is charged on top of VRT, so more than just a couple of hundred I think. That's why cars are generally so much more here than the UK. Again open to correction. Every day a school day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Except, and I'm open to correction, the vat is charged on top of VRT, so more than just a couple of hundred I think. That's why cars are generally so much more here than the UK. Again open to correction. Every day a school day etc.

It is not charged on top of VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did the 64kW e-Niro sell in Ireland?

Was it a popular choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That seems hard to answer given the very limited numbers available. It sold out quickly, so was popular enough for that, but it also means you don't really know how popular it could have been if it was actually available to more people.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Did the 64kW e-Niro sell in Ireland?

Was it a popular choice?

A few have been sold, and there are a number coming in January.
    The UK has had a spec bump (and price increase) for 2020.

I've a deposit on one, to replace our Ioniq. If we get a similar price bump then I may need to rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

liamog wrote: »
    A few have been sold, and there are a number coming in January.
    The UK has had a spec bump (and price increase) for 2020.

I've a deposit on one, to replace our Ioniq. If we get a similar price bump then I may need to rethink.

The price bump is rumoured to be about £1,200. For that you get a bigger screen (10.25"), LED headlights, app connectivity and a couple of other things I can't remember, so probably not hugely significant. I think that's decent value, if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

There are plenty of Konas sold .

But eNiro offers more space etc for same money with same range etc.

So smaller numbers is likely a "you just can't get one" situation.

Supply in UK a disaster too - people are waiting AGES.

• Advertisement

68 eNiros sold this year - some of these are 39 kwhs though.

They got some supply in for July because Kia sold 72 BEVs that month .

46 eSouls sold so far too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Where can you view these figures?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Where can you view these figures?

Stats section of the SIMIs beep beep site - filer by Make (Kia) and then by fuel type (electric).

It's awkward on a phone though - it is hard to get to stay on one item selected when filtering .

Old diesel wrote: »

Was this a case of Hyundai beating Kia to the market, and doing a better marketing job in general? Or do Kia just not have the volume to sell?

Those in the know would of spotted the poor spec of the Kona, and for the same money the Kia is a nice bit bigger (in the boot at least).

I'd be having my eye on a 2nd hand 64kW E-Niro in a few years, if they're to be found.
    38kW pack from Hyundai/Kia has ruined a big chunk of the market for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd be having my eye on a 2nd hand 64kW E-Niro in a few years, if they're to be found.

Precisely my plan.

Old diesel wrote: »

Was this a case of Hyundai beating Kia to the market, and doing a better marketing job in general? Or do Kia just not have the volume to sell?

Those in the know would of spotted the poor spec of the Kona, and for the same money the Kia is a nice bit bigger (in the boot at least).

Supply is a massive issue but Kia have been a bit half hearted too.

eNiro arrived randomly with black 39 kwh demos .

The website was shocking and then the eSoul arrived to a low profile.

The half heartedness could be down to simply not having the cars though .

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Precisely my plan.

Just when I'll be selling mine. :D

I'll keep you in mind lads. ;)

The Kona beat the Niro to market, and with decent numbers. Niro is not only bigger, but the spec is much better. I passed on the Kona, but the Niro turned my head and my wallet.

The Kona beat the Niro to market, and with decent numbers. Niro is not only bigger, but the spec is much better. I passed on the Kona, but the Niro turned my head and my wallet.

Thanks. Certainly do! Love the Ioniq at the moment, but it's eventually going to be too small for us (1 little one at the moment). Tis rare i'd keep a car for such a brief period of time, but practicalities will force my hand. Best start putting a few euro aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Precisely my plan.

I’d say there are lot with a similar plan. Good news for early adopters as they should hold value if the 2nd hand market stays strong.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A few of us might have to fight eachother for it. I hope you'll give a good trade in on a 2019 Ioniq when the time comes :D

• Advertisement

I honestly don't know when I'll move on to another EV.

I thought the ID3 would have been ideal for me, but with the basic version looking likely to cost more than I paid for the Niro, which has a fairly good spec and higher range, I don't know if I would go there. There's nothing on the horizon that will give me the same, or better, range for around the same money.

I really liked the Ioniq when I had it and I actually miss it. Can't go back to anything with sub 400km range now though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I honestly don't know when I'll move on to another EV.

I thought the ID3 would have been ideal for me, but with the basic version looking likely to cost more than I paid for the Niro, ...

The basic version of the ID.3 will be €10k cheaper than your eNiro.

The 1st edition will be much the same price as your eNiro but its hard to compare those two things until we get confirmation of spec and get some real world reviews.

KCross wrote: »
    The basic version of the ID.3 will be €10k cheaper than your eNiro.

The 1st edition will be much the same price as your eNiro but its hard to compare those two things until we get confirmation of spec and get some real world reviews.

I would never do a basic version of any car.

I had a tough call to make when I was offered the Niro with an excellent trade-in on my Ioniq: should I wait for the VW or not? I know the price should be similar, but a bird in the hand and all that... No real idea what actual range the ID3 1st will have, but the 450-500km I'm getting in the Niro suits me well.

I'll look at the ID3 long range when they can be driven at the showroom, but I think it's going to be around €50K with the spec I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Silent Running - you bought a car that is in high demand with disappointed buyers who lost out going straight onto the waiting list for early next year. That is always good for low depreciation.

It will be at least a year until we see a €30k ID.3, which will have significantly less range than your eNiro and a lower spec. I doubt you will come to regret your choice :)

kuro68k wrote: »
    Dealer sent me this:

4Or2OGr.png

No autopilot
    Downgraded screen to 7"
    No keyless entry?

Like the UK version it's also missing LED headlights, ventilated seats, blue interior trim, mood lighting, telematics (app), Intelligent Speed Limit Warning (which can read road signs) and some other stuff I forget now.

Oh and it costs the same as the UK version after the grant! They must be making a hefty profit on it.

€48k :eek:

Is that the kind of pricing others have seen? I was thinking of going into a dealer but that's beyond my appetite for spending!

Is there any chance that price is before grants etc?
    Kia's price list has it at 37k

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's the before grant price yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hang on...this was originally posted last June!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Is that the price for top of the range k3 trim ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Is there any chance that price is before grants etc?
    Kia's price list has it at 37k

The question is if it is the 1st addition or the newer version with led and 10' touch screen, app etc

Advertisement