Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What are you getting yourself, peaceboi? We saw your Ioniq was for sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Kia soul k3 or kona premium se....but sadly kona premium se available only in the uk

Kia dealer not offering a reasonable trade in on Ioniq? Or are you bringing in nearly new from the UK anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

I have emailed few dealerships with pics, only 1 fella replied he offered 19k.

peaceboi wrote: »
    I have emailed few dealerships with pics, only 1 fella replied he offered 19k.

Email them all! All Kia and Hyundai dealers in Ireland. And ask not just how much trade in they offer, ask them also would they buy your car for cash. They very well might as the car is in demand. Hyundai dealers in Ireland are importing second hand Ioniqs from the UK to sell on here.

And email offers are just a start. Negotiations begin after that on the phone or in person.

If it was me, I'd spend a few hours working on this. Rather than sell in a private sale for €20k (the colour is not in your favour, although personally I like it), you should be able to get more for your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Just back from what turned out to be ~ 1200km UK round trip in the Niro.

As expected, the car was flawless. One leg was 530kms. One stop for a meal and a 45 minute charge and we're done. But I wish there were faster chargers on the routes I take over there.

Most of the 1200 was motorway speed and the average consumption is now 14.6kWh/100kms. I reset it a couple of days before the trip. Happy with that efficiency.

I did about 1000 of the run with my hands resting on my knees and feet on the floor. The LFA and ACC compliment each other nicely, there were no panic moments whatsoever.

The power on tap is impressive when you need it.

There's no adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat, but even with my very dodgy back, I had no problem with the long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Just back from what turned out to be ~ 1200km UK round trip in the Niro.

As expected, the car was flawless. One leg was 530kms. One stop for a meal and a 45 minute charge and we're done. But I wish there were faster chargers on the routes I take over there.

Most of the 1200 was motorway speed and the average consumption is now 14.6kWh/100kms. I reset it a couple of days before the trip. Happy with that efficiency.

I did about 1000 of the run with my hands resting on my knees and feet on the floor. The LFA and ACC compliment each other nicely, there were no panic moments whatsoever.

The power on tap is impressive when you need it.

There's no adjustable lumbar support in the driver's seat, but even with my very dodgy back, I had no problem with the long runs.

Great stuff

How is the long-range Niro claiming up to 455km on a single charge with its 64kWh batttery, while the 62kWh Leaf only claims 385km?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How is the long-range Niro claiming up to 455km on a single charge with its 64kWh batttery, while the 62kWh Leaf only claims 385km?

Niro has 64kWh usable. Leaf has less than 60kWh... maybe 58ish... not sure exactly.

And the Leaf is less efficient.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would think it's mainly due to a more efficient motor in the Niro.

• Advertisement

Hmmm right. That makes a fairly big difference - I wondered if they were just using different standards/tests.

It seems like there won't be a huge difference in price between long-range Leaf, Niro and Kona. I was inclined to just trade-up to a new Leaf next year or the year after but seems like the Niro offers a bit more bang for buck. I would miss the e-pedal in the Leaf though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would miss the e-pedal in the Leaf though

Kona/Niro has 4 levels of regeneration ,0,1,2,3 giving 1 pedal operation with paddle adjustments, similar to Leaf. It also has CCS connector with faster charging and more public fast chargers such as ionity, which leaf cannot use with chademo. Tesla has access to CCS + Tesla only superchargers. Kona has tiny boot, Niro better. I think Niro has adaptive cruise control as standard which makes motorway driving in traffic less stressful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

zg3409 wrote: »
    Kona/Niro has 4 levels of regeneration ,0,1,2,3 giving 1 pedal operation with paddle adjustments, similar to Leaf. It also has CCS connector with faster charging and more public fast chargers such as ionity, which leaf cannot use with chademo. Tesla has access to CCS + Tesla only superchargers. Kona has tiny boot, Niro better. I think Niro has adaptive cruise control as standard which makes motorway driving in traffic less stressful

There are more locations in Irealnd with Chademo then CCS at this point.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

September1 wrote: »
    There are more locations in Irealnd with Chademo then CCS at this point.

I'm not to sure about that, eCars only have 2 extra CHAdeMO chargers compared to CCS, and they have 31 CHAdeMO chargers listed as others (eCars NI and Nissan) versus 10 CCS listed as other. Other manufacturers don't list their CCS chargers on the eCars app.

Once the 3 Ionity sites are finished. We'll have 24 more CCS only chargers.
    It's probably safe to say that there is zero advantage to picking CHAdeMO over CCS, and thanks to the multi charger Ionity sites, CCS is becoming advantageous.

liamog wrote: »
    I'm not to sure about that, eCars only have 2 extra CHAdeMO chargers compared to CCS, and they have 31 CHAdeMO chargers listed as others (eCars NI and Nissan) versus 10 CCS listed as other. Other manufacturers don't list their CCS chargers on the eCars app.

Once the 3 Ionity sites are finished. We'll have 24 more CCS only chargers.
    It's probably safe to say that there is zero advantage to picking CHAdeMO over CCS, and thanks to the multi charger Ionity sites, CCS is becoming advantageous.

You are counting chargers and what I mean it locations where you can charge. I only used two Ionity locations and both of them had Chademo available as well although from different providers. Some Nissan dealerships have chargers, usually with restricted hours of access. However if ESB starts charging people, they could sway some people to Nissan as they are free.

You are counting chargers and what I mean it locations where you can charge.

Locations where you can charge is completely irrelevant when only one car can charge at a time and here around Dublin typically at least 2 cars are at ESB public fast charger at the same time during most of the day and evening. Result: you wait hours.

unkel wrote: »
    Locations where you can charge is completely irrelevant when only one car can charge at a time and here around Dublin typically at least 2 cars are at ESB public fast charger at the same time during most of the day and evening. Result: you wait hours.

Well, if you need charge you might not be able to reach closest Ionity charger, or in many towns (like Galway) there will be much less queuing at Nissan charger. There is more to Ireland than Dublin :D but even there are some Nissan chargers and AFAIK not a single one Ionity site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well, if you need charge you might not be able to reach closest Ionity charger, or in many towns (like Galway) there will be much less queuing at Nissan charger. There is more to Ireland than Dublin :D but even there are some Nissan chargers and AFAIK not a single one Ionity site.

Ionity is about charging on a journey.
    Nissan garages are in towns and cities so you've reached your destination or are making a detour to get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

That’s close to Ioniq territory at motorway speeds, during my test drives i was getting just shy of 17 with 65% motorway. Even more impressive is that ACC is not normally kind to efficient driving. Was it all downhill:)

My wife who drives really efficiently can only get 17 from the leaf or 15.8 with the i3 with the same 65% motorway commute.

I'd say it was a light foot, or not an awful lot of 120km/h GPS speed driving. I don't even average 14.6kWh/100km in Ioniq at those motorway speeds.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    That’s close to Ioniq territory at motorway speeds, during my test drives i was getting just shy of 17 with 65% motorway. Even more impressive is that ACC is not normally kind to efficient driving. Was it all downhill:)

My wife who drives really efficiently can only get 17 from the leaf or 15.8 with the i3 with the same 65% motorway commute.

I.d like to see the trip where 1200kms are all downhill. :D I always got good efficiency out of the Ioniq... maybe it's just my driving style.
    unkel wrote: »
    I'd say it was a light foot, or not an awful lot of 120km/h GPS speed driving. I don't even average 14.6kWh/100km in Ioniq at those motorway speeds.

While there were A LOT of roadworks on the M4 and M6, with speed limits of 50mph/80kph, the rest was done at motorway limits or above. The journeys are long enough without having to drive slowly! Don't forget that motorway limits over there translate to 112kph..I was regularly over that figure.

On Wednesday night I had to go from London to Holyhead when it became obvious that Irish Ferries were going to cancel my Pembroke to Rosslare return, I was running the heating all the way. One 45 minute charge at Knutsford Services on the M6 to give me enough to get back down to Wexford after the ferry. The bigger battery is a game changer on long trips. No moped engine needed. :D

I normally run with regen set to zero, but with the auto regen on. I think this makes a big difference in efficiency, as the car applies regen to slow the car, then goes back to zero as soon as it can. The Niro ACC seems to be a lot more efficient than the Ioniq. It seems to allow the car to freewheel more and it's not as aggressive with acceleration on the uphill sections. I suppose the extra BHP means it doesn't have to floor it to keep the speed to the setting.

I'd like to claim all the credit for being such an efficient driver, but the truth is that the car was doing most of the driving. I was just sitting with my feet on the floor and my hands on my knees, watching it do it's magic. :P:D

Was the Holyhead sailing to Dublin??????.

London to Wexford on ONE stop is very very good regardless.

Would be amazing if "down to Wexford" was from Dublin port.

Old diesel wrote: »

Yup, just north of London on the A10 to Knutsford Services on the M6, then across to Holyhead. From Dublin port to Wexford.

Knutsford to Wexford was only something like 320kms. London to Knutsford was something like 260kms. All easy range for the Niro. Not sure why the amazement. :confused: Wexford to London was one stop at Reading Services on the M4. (Rosslare to Pembroke Dock)

I use 350kms as my personal maximum, both for a driving break and for a comfortable range to allow for charger issues when needed. I like to have a reasonable range to get to my plan B.

Old diesel wrote: »

Yup, just north of London on the A10 to Knutsford Services on the M6, then across to Holyhead. From Dublin port to Wexford.

Knutsford to Wexford was only something like 320kms. London to Knutsford was something like 260kms. All easy range for the Niro. Not sure why the amazement. :confused: Wexford to London was one stop at Reading Services on the M4. (Rosslare to Pembroke Dock)

I use 350kms as my personal maximum, both for a driving break and for a comfortable range to allow for charger issues when needed. I like to have a reasonable range to get to my plan B.

Sorry I was getting a bit overexcited when I said amazing.

But it's a good example of how usable a modern EV can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Right, I'm going to contact the local dealer tomorrow and make some enquiries on the eNiro.

For those who own it, I have some questions if you don't mind. I've followed a good bit of the thread but this is just a quick summary I'm after.

*Could you tell me in your experience:
    *Best case scenario mileage
    *Worst case scenario mileage
    *Acceleration compared to other EVs you've *driven
    *Comfort and space
    *PCP/lease deals

I don't get great range as I have a heavy boot. I used to get about 100km on an average to good trip in my 24kWh Leaf, currently get about 150km in my 94ah i3 REx.

I know there is a hefty wait time on the eNiro, but if I can find the right deal I'd consider a deposit now and sell the i3 privately when the time comes. The i3 seems to be keeping its value very well, but (1)I'd prefer to go back to full electric now that the network should be improving (plus with 64kWh I'd barely ever need it) and (2)the i3 is now out of warranty. 2 things make me nervous, an out of warranty EV and an out of warranty BMW. Combine the 2 and its squeaky bum time.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    For those who own it, I have some questions if you don't mind. I've followed a good bit of the thread but this is just a quick summary I'm after.

*Could you tell me in your experience:
    *Best case scenario mileage
    *Worst case scenario mileage
    *Acceleration compared to other EVs you've *driven
    *Comfort and space
    *PCP/lease deals

I'll give it a go Phil.

Best case scenario mileage? The GOM seems to be pretty accurate so, going by that I've seen mid 450 to low 470 figures. Using 350 as my target range to charge seems to work well. A very heavy boot will probably bring this back to 300, if you're that way inclined. This leaves 100 contingency kms to get to back-up chargers. As you're planning less charging, the range pretty much ceases to be an issue.

Acceleration: Of course, identical to the Kona. I've also driven the I3 120Ah and there's a bit more oomph in the Niro. It blows the Ioniq out of the water, especially in the passing acceleration range.

Comfort and space: well it took me a while to get the seat and steering wheel positions right, but having done very long trips in the car, I find it to be quite good. Space is where the Niro shines. I'm a six footer, so are my sons. No problems with one of them sitting behind me, With the back seats folded it's like a van. I haven't bothered to drop the rear floor to give more boot space. I don't really need it.

I can't help you with finance I'm afraid. I bought with cash.

The large battery really changes the EV experience. I use the battery capacity meter just like I did when I drove ICE: fill it when necessary. On a long run I just pick where my one stop will be. Somewhere around 350kms in my case.

Worst thing about the Niro? Headlights! They're just about adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks, interesting that you found it nipper than the 120ah i3.

The official 0-100km for the 120ah is 7.3, 0.2 of a second faster than the e-Niro.

Both are a damn sight better than the 8.1 of my 94ah mind you, although I've never found it slow, even at overtaking speed going from say 90 to 140 very quickly.

That was where it blew my old Leaf away. I often contended that the i3 was actually a tiny bit slower off the line than the 24kWh Leaf, but at higher speeds the i3 roasted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'll give it a go Phil.

Best case scenario mileage? The GOM seems to be pretty accurate so, going by that I've seen mid 450 to low 470 figures. Using 350 as my target range to charge seems to work well. A very heavy boot will probably bring this back to 300, if you're that way inclined. This leaves 100 contingency kms to get to back-up chargers. As you're planning less charging, the range pretty much ceases to be an issue.

Acceleration: Of course, identical to the Kona. I've also driven the I3 120Ah and there's a bit more oomph in the Niro. It blows the Ioniq out of the water, especially in the passing acceleration range.

Comfort and space: well it took me a while to get the seat and steering wheel positions right, but having done very long trips in the car, I find it to be quite good. Space is where the Niro shines. I'm a six footer, so are my sons. No problems with one of them sitting behind me, With the back seats folded it's like a van. I haven't bothered to drop the rear floor to give more boot space. I don't really need it.

I can't help you with finance I'm afraid. I bought with cash.

The large battery really changes the EV experience. I use the battery capacity meter just like I did when I drove ICE: fill it when necessary. On a long run I just pick where my one stop will be. Somewhere around 350kms in my case.

Worst thing about the Niro? Headlights! They're just about adequate.

I think this is when people's mindsets about EVs will change. When the behavior/use pattern follows a familiar mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I feel a drag race challenge is needed between the niro and I3, the instant launch of I3 should smoke it to the half way but then I am not so sure. It’s commendable the lump of the niro can even challenge the I3 for accelerating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Saw on Facebook, the Kia Ireland dealer conferences are going on in the next week. We're likely to see updated prices/spec on the Niro EV after October 20th.

Advertisement