Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Bif wrote: »
    Did you trade in or buy straight?

What would it matter which ?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

championc wrote: »
    What would it matter which ?
    I was just wondering how much it might cost to buy straight compared to list price etc. but no issue if you don't want to share. Best of luck with the Niro.

I was just wondering how much it might cost to buy straight compared to list price etc. but no issue if you don't want to share. Best of luck with the Niro.

There doesn't appear to be any wiggle room on the price, especially given the waiting list. Spare a thought for those in the UK who appear to have a 12 month waiting list.

The haggleable items appear to be with extras like the service pack.

I might use a trade-in just to get rid of my old 2004 car, if there's no interest or value at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Thinking of switching from a honda hrv diesel to Niro which seems close enough sizewise.
    Driving about 90kms a day Mon to Friday.Spend about £70 a fortnight on diesel.
    Getting average 5.5l/100kms -as low as 5l if I am driving at a reasonable speed with no short trips.

Some q's;
    Would my mileage be suitable for Ev?
    What are the main differences between niro phev and ev?
    Would the cost to upgrade be offset by running cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Thinking of switching from a honda hrv diesel to Niro which seems close enough sizewise.
    Getting average 5.5l/100kms -as low as 5l if I am driving at a reasonable speed with no short trips.

Some q's;

I'll give you some figures but just to clarify, did you mean €70 or £70?

And secondly, are you buying a new car either way or are you looking to buy a new Niro because you want to save money and the purchase cost has to pay for itself in fuel savings?

• Advertisement

70 euro. Looking to buy to save money and hoping purchase cost would be offset by fuel savings. I also think diesels are going to depreciate more rapidly over the next few years.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

70 euro. Looking to buy to save money and hoping purchase cost would be offset by fuel savings. I also think diesels are going to depreciate more rapidly over the next few years.

What would you be spending if you don't go for an EV?

By the way your mileage would be easily covered by cheaper EVs than the e-Niro such as the Leaf or Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

90km 5 days a week for, say, 48 weeks a year —> 21,600km commuting.

Presumably you do another few thousand at weekends so lets round it off at 25,000km per year.

Averaging 5.5l/100km and diesel averaged €1.34/l in Sep so your fuel cost is ~€1850/yr which is €70 per fortnight which matches what you said! :)

To do the same mileage in a BEV using home charging @ 8c/kWh and 14kWh/100km (because you seem to have a light foot) would be ~€280/yr

Thats an annual fuel saving of €1570
    Add on cheaper tax and cheaper tolls (if you use those).

Whether that €1570 pays for itself is down to what you plan to buy if you DONT buy a Niro. If for instance you were planning to spend €35k on a Sportage or something then yes it would pay for itself as the Niro is €38k so the extra €3k would be paid for in 2 years.

So it's entirely up to you whether its worth it or not.

The difference between a Niro EV and a Niro PHEV is that the PHEV will only do 40-50km before the battery is dead and it starts burning petrol. So you will be doing about half your commute on EV and the other half on petrol. The savings will then obviously be much less. Only buy a PHEV if you regularly stay within its range (<50km for the Niro).

The Niro EV will do 400km+ on battery. No petrol engine inside.

Thanks for reply. Ill definitely check them out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

From what I read here, getting one is going to be the problem, not many about.

• Advertisement

Folks,
    Doing a quick calculation myself on the economics of buying a Niro. Would anyone hazard a guess at what mileage the batteries will do overall before degrading beyond useful? I reckon we could use an EV in the house to cover 40000 kms a year. Thanks.

Folks,
    Doing a quick calculation myself on the economics of buying a Niro. Would anyone hazard a guess at what mileage the batteries will do overall before degrading beyond useful? I reckon we could use an EV in the house to cover 40000 kms a year. Thanks.

Some would argue that the batteries may well outlast the useful life of the vehicle. But while everyone questions the battery life, nobody appears to query the lifespan of the electric motor in any way

Some would argue that the batteries may well outlast the useful life of the vehicle. But while everyone questions the battery life, nobody appears to query the lifespan of the electric motor in any way
    Fair point. How much does the motor cost to replace? What is the Niro warranty on motor / batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Fair point. How much does the motor cost to replace? What is the Niro warranty on motor / batteries?

7 year (or 150,000km) warranty, including the EV bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

They are brushless motors so no reason not to last. Bearings possibly the only failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some q's;

I do 110km round trip daily commute on 28kwh Ioniq, and it can do 160km guaranteed any weather. You can buy one used for 23,000. Main issue with Ioniq if round trip more than 90km from home you need to public charge and public chargers are often busy, broken or blocked. The all battery niro is around 400km range, so any trips more than 200km from home require charging. Either car will cover daily use, but what about weekends, weekends away etc. ? Do not rely on public charging. You could get an Ioniq and keep old car for long trips, if you have no access to second car. PHEV has tiny battery more suited to those dropping kids to school and weekly shop, not 90km round trip commute. Range more like 30km (15km from home). Biggest savings is going full EV with cheapest car and borrowing other car for long trips. Ioniq vs Niro is 15,000 difference (2nd hand vs new)

The Morning Post is just off the coast of Lisbon, heading for Dublin, to arrive Saturday evening. Left PYEONGTAEK on 01 Oct.

Has anyone been told to expect their e-Niro in the next week or so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The Morning Post is just off the coast of Lisbon, heading for Dublin, to arrive Saturday evening. Left PYEONGTAEK on 01 Oct.

Has anyone been told to expect their e-Niro in the next week or so ?

I was talking to a dealer during the week and he's expecting a single car on the 11th. He has four people wanting it.

He also said every dealer is getting a grand total of 4 cars each next year. I sincerely hope he's mistaken on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How are people buying these? Finance deals etc?

I'm sorely tempted but it would take a serious amount of man-math to get me to eat that first year depreciation hit.

But I'd get pretty good money for my i3 if I sold it now and that would be a big oul lump of a deposit on an e-Niro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

JohnC. wrote: »
    I was talking to a dealer during the week and he's expecting a single car on the 11th. He has four people wanting it.

He also said every dealer is getting a grand total of 4 cars each next year. I sincerely hope he's mistaken on that.

Must be mistaken, the dealer we are talking to reckons he's getting 16 in January, they are all taken already.

• Advertisement

And I think mine (Dundrum, Dublin) are getting 10

Remember too that the boat takes about 5 weeks so all of the January cars are possibly just about to commence production.

Irish and UK cars would need to be specially factored into the production process, due to requiring Right hand drive models

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Hey folks,

I've noticed over the last six weeks that my consumption has been steadily increasing. For the first 3 months or so, my consumption stayed around 17.1 kwh/100km. I saw another poster here say they were getting a similar figure so I'm fine with this as it's probably affected by where and how I drive.

But over the last few weeks without changing anything that I'm aware of, and most of the time now trying to go easy because of what I'm seeing, the consumption rate has climbed slowly from 17.1 to 19.6 kwh/100km. I do a good chunk of motorway driving but it didn't seem before to cause a huge spike in consumption that I'm now seeing.

I don't know whether this could be accounted for by cold weather and I'm now wondering is there something wrong. Is anyone else seeing an increase in their consumption rates over the last few weeks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

argolis wrote: »

I don't know whether this could be accounted for by cold weather and I'm now wondering is there something wrong. Is anyone else seeing an increase in their consumption rates over the last few weeks?

There's your answer, you'll see this every winter from now on, a bit hit on your efficiency and in turn on your range, batteries do not like the cold

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

argolis wrote: »
    Hey folks, the consumption rate has climbed slowly from 17.1 to 19.6 kwh/100km

That's normal for every EV this time of year. It takes a lot of energy to get your cabin from 4 degrees to 20 degrees.
    If you heat your car while plugged in before your commute it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

slave1 wrote: »
    There's your answer, you'll see this every winter from now on, a bit hit on your efficiency and in turn on your range, batteries do not like the cold

This... and you probably run the heating more, with the recent colder weather (or the car needs to run more heating to keep the set temperature).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cold air, cold battery, wind, wet roads and heating will all affect consumption negatively.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah this morning was pretty much worse case scenario. Fairly windy, heavy rain and only 5 degrees outside. There isn't an EV in existence that wouldn't suffer in those conditions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I didn't realise how drastic the drop in range would be with the colder weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What range are you e-Niro folk getting, year round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

DrPhilG wrote: »
    What range are you e-Niro folk getting, year round?

We've only had them since July, so it's hard to put a year round average on it. Before the really cold weather started, my running average was 14.8kWh/100. I'm afraid to look at it recently. :D

With the Ioniq, I was very conscious of driving economically, but I drive the Niro more like an ICE car and don't really worry about range. :o

Advertisement