Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks.

I'm considering a move from an i3. My consumption is around 18kWh/100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

I'm on 14.9kWh/100km on my Kona - that applies for the commute to work this morning and I think it's the overall figure since Jan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

We've only had them since July, so it's hard to put a year round average on it. Before the really cold weather started, my running average was 14.8kWh/100. I'm afraid to look at it recently. :D

With the Ioniq, I was very conscious of driving economically, but I drive the Niro more like an ICE car and don't really worry about range. :o

14.8 is great going! I'm the same, I generally don't worry about range and am driving it as I would an ICE. Although now having adaptive cruise control, I find I use that a lot so I end up taking the it easier than I would have in my old ICE car and am way more relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Considering buying an EV at the moment but I'm living in a rental property. Are any available with a charger that plugs into a regular plug?

MacDanger wrote: »
    Considering buying an EV at the moment but I'm living in a rental property. Are any available with a charger that plugs into a regular plug?

They can all plug in with a regular plug, it's known as a granny charger.

Painfully slow mind you. Can take anything from 10-20 hours from flat to full. It's unlikely to be that often you'd need flat to full though depending on the car's battery size.

Would your landlord not consider allowing an install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

DrPhilG wrote: »

Painfully slow mind you. Can take anything from 10-20 hours from flat to full. It's unlikely to be that often you'd need flat to full though depending on the car's battery size.

27 hours is more accurate in my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

spakman wrote: »
    27 hours is more accurate in my experience!

Is that to Full, or to 80% ? I've read a few times that you really shouldn't charge much above 80% and also, that charging the last few % can take absolutely ages when compared to the time to do 0 to 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most granny chargers are about 2.3kW, so 27 hours for 64kWh is about right. The slowness at higher state of charge is more an issue for DC fast charging, so 80% charge will be around 22 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Lumen wrote: »
    Most granny chargers are about 2.3kW, so 27 hours for 64kWh is about right. The slowness at higher state of charge is more an issue for DC fast charging, so 80% charge will be around 22 hours.

Another way of looking at a granny charger is to compare the nightly charge you can get versus what your car needs for your daily drive.
    If, say, you could reliably presume that your car would be plugged-in for 10 hours per night then your car will gain 23kWh (at 2.3kW charge speed). If your car consumes say 18kWh per 100km then with the 23kWh of nightly charge your daily drive could be on average up to (23*100/18)= 127km.
    A typical granny charger may not have the same lifetime as a wall charger, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pdpmur wrote: »
    Another way of looking at a granny charger is to compare the nightly charge you can get versus what your car needs for your daily drive.
    If, say, you could reliably presume that your car would be plugged-in for 10 hours per night then your car will gain 23kWh (at 2.3kW charge speed). If your car consumes say 18kWh per 100km then with the 23kWh of nightly charge your daily drive could be on average up to (23*100/18)= 127km.
    A typical granny charger may not have the same lifetime as a wall charger, though.

You can also use a granny charger for topping up after DC fast charging. If you don't want to spend 90 mins at an Ionity you can just fast charge to 70% and then trickle the rest in overnight (although not great leaving at >90% for any length of time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Thanks for the replies.

We're hoping to buy in the next year or two so I'd have thought that the cost of getting a charger installed in a rental wouldn't be worth my while.

My daily mileage is very low (15-20km) except for one weekly 250km trip for work on a Monday night followed by a return on Tuesday evening - I can get it charged at work though so I think I'd be okay.

championc wrote: »
    Is that to Full, or to 80% ? I've read a few times that you really shouldn't charge much above 80% and also, that charging the last few % can take absolutely ages when compared to the time to do 0 to 80%

That applies to use of rapid chargers. There isn't really any harm charging above 80% on a rapid, but it does take ages at the top end. On a 24kWh Leaf it's around 80%, on other cars the speed says high until 90% or even higher.

On a granny cable, do what you want. It won't slow down at 80% and there's no harm in going to 100%. After 99% it may slow down as it balances the cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

What range are you e-Niro folk getting, year round?

Winter is absolutely affecting me with the lack of being able to pre-heat remotely. Some short journeys for me in the morning are increasing my usage by about 10 KWH.

I do think that longer journeys, this would be better as the car has less work to do to come up to temperature.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Winter is absolutely affecting me with the lack of being able to pre-heat remotely. Some short journeys for me in the morning are increasing my usage by about 10 KWH.

I do think that longer journeys, this would be better as the car has less work to do to come up to temperature.

I have 103kms done since i charged and have 44kms indicated range left (won't even get that many) and my driving has been through town and few kms at <80kph regional roads in B more. Summer and warmer weather please hurry up!

BTW - its snowing in Tullamore right now. :(

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I have 103kms done since i charged and have 44kms indicated range left (won't even get that many) and my driving has been through town and few kms at <80kph regional roads in B more. Summer and warmer weather please hurry up!

BTW - its snowing in Tullamore right now. :(

From fully charged?

From fully charged?

yes. :eek:

yes. :eek:

Wow. Not getting anything that bad range estimate wise. That's mad!

Wow. Not getting anything that bad range estimate wise. That's mad!

am very dissapointed to be honest. (BTW my car is an E-Golf)

Sorry for going off topic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

MacDanger wrote: »

My daily mileage is very low (15-20km) except for one weekly 250km trip for work on a Monday night followed by a return on Tuesday evening - I can get it charged at work though so I think I'd be okay.

Today you can get charged at work, with more PHEV and pure EV uptake do not rely on that in the future, there will be a lot more cars looking to hook up for a charge at work now ESB charging is en route too.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

am very dissapointed to be honest. (BTW my car is an E-Golf)

Sorry for going off topic.

Yeah given that we're talking about the range people are getting from the e-Niro, it might have been an idea to tell people your 150km figure is from a different car entirely...

Every current and prospective e-Niro owner just shat themselves.

• Advertisement

Every current and prospective e-Niro owner just shat themselves.

Ohh Jeasuz sorry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Called into my local KIA dealer in the Northwest today to enquire about the 2020 eNiro.

They are getting a demo car next week, silver colour, it's ready for collection in Dublin.

Taking orders now for the facelift MY20 model with the 10.5 inch display for March delivery (won't hold my breath !)

They are not allowed to register any new KIA EV's (eNiro or eSoul) until January, something to do with KIA's EU CO2 targets for 2020.

eNiro price including delivery and metallic paint is 39,000 euro

If ordered before December 31st, KIA will send me out a 500 euro Supervalu voucher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Well, ready for collection in Dublin checks out after the Morning Post docked for the day on Sunday to unload it's cargo from Pyeongtaek. Also, the Morning Prosperity was in Dublin at the beginning of the month

icom wrote: »
    Called into my local KIA dealer in the Northwest today to enquire about the 2020 eNiro.

Whereabouts in the NW? I'm in Donegal. Tried Inishowen Motors last week with no success.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Whereabouts in the NW? I'm in Donegal. Tried Inishowen Motors last week with no success.
    Same place Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is the model with a few upgrades confirmed then? I know there were rumours, but I couldn't seem to find anything concrete. Other than larger screen, what does it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

They are getting a demo car next week, silver colour, it's ready for collection in Dublin.

Taking orders now for the facelift MY20 model with the 10.5 inch display for March delivery (won't hold my breath !)

They are not allowed to register any new KIA EV's (eNiro or eSoul) until January, something to do with KIA's EU CO2 targets for 2020.

eNiro price including delivery and metallic paint is 39,000 euro

If ordered before December 31st, KIA will send me out a 500 euro Supervalu voucher :)

39k? A dealer down in the south east quoted me €41500 including delivery and metallic paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    39k? A dealer down in the south east quoted me €41500 including delivery and metallic paint!

We were quoted 42k for the exact same thing in cork city! With the grants!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Same place Phil.

Yeah I've put a order in for one, same price. Have to get the house sorted now/meter changed to get the night rate now.

Same story on the demo car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I've a feeling that the higher quotes are for the MY20 car with bigger spec than the MY19.

Advertisement