Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia Niro EV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Redlim

graememk wrote: »
    Had a look at the website, its on one of the pictures, but its not in the specification list.

Yes, the spec sheet doesn't mention it but below is what is given on the Kia.ie E-Niro page:

"The 10.25" navigation touchscreen is easy to read and operate and provides you with routes, shortcuts and other useful information. It also gives you control of the 8-speaker JBL® premium sound system with Clari-Fi™ technology.8 The 7 years of map updates9 keep your system current year after year."

Thank you're lucky stars you don't have to put up with the BOSE system in the Leaf, it's dreadful, Muddy sound and good awful boomy bass.

Thank you're lucky stars you don't have to put up with the BOSE system in the Leaf, it's dreadful, Muddy sound and good awful boomy bass.

Plus in the Leaf doesn't the subwoofer take up some valuable boot floor space

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Redlim wrote: »
    Yes, the spec sheet doesn't mention it but below is what is given on the Kia.ie E-Niro page:

"The 10.25" navigation touchscreen is easy to read and operate and provides you with routes, shortcuts and other useful information. It also gives you control of the 8-speaker JBL® premium sound system with Clari-Fi™ technology.8 The 7 years of map updates9 keep your system current year after year."

I was initially disappointed with the speakers, they lacked warmth, but it's just a matter of adjusting the preferences. Have them just right now.

Edit: New 2020 model

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Had a look at the website, its on one of the pictures, but its not in the specification list.

Also to note, my one (march) has front and rear heated seats, where it looks like newer ones have only front heated, but also ventilated seats

Can any of the new owners confirm this?

Picked up mine early July. Just like yours - heated front and rear, not ventilated

Plus in the Leaf doesn't the subwoofer take up some valuable boot floor space

It doesn't take up much room to be honest but it performs so poorly it would be better off removed for a much higher quality door speakers.

Bose in general are not that good, in my opinion, they're certainly not hifi quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭championc

In case anyone is wondering about swapping their crappy factory cones, here's a pic of the front door ones

So a 6.5" speaker which is fairly regularly accessible, but I struggled to find a mount with about a 1" depth

The door skin is very easy to take off. There are only two screws - one under the plastic bottom of the armrest coin holder (or whatever it's for) and one behind the plastic insert under the door opener

522156.jpg
    522157.jpg
    522158.jpg

That's interesting - did you go ahead and change them ChampionC?

That's interesting - did you go ahead and change them ChampionC?

No. I had installed JBL's on my old Bimmer but I could see how to essentially swap them over, so they go sold with the Bimmer.

The problem is to find a 1" deep mount for a 6 ¹/2" cone

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    No. I had installed JBL's on my old Bimmer but I could see how to essentially swap them over, so they go sold with the Bimmer.

The problem is to find a 1" deep mount for a 6 ¹/2" cone

What's your take on the quality of the standard e-Niro speakers? If you're not a fan of them could you insist Kia install the JBLs that they advertise as being included on their website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Has anyone encountered an issue where there's a crackling sound coming from the steering wheel? It's intermittent and doesn't affect driving as much as I can sense but it's annoying as hell.

I dropped my 192 into the garage where I bought it a few weeks ago for it's first service but they couldn't hear it and wouldn't look into it deeper. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭chewed

What's your take on the quality of the standard e-Niro speakers? If you're not a fan of them could you insist Kia install the JBLs that they advertise as being included on their website?

Not great TBH! I find they distort at loud volume. Not that I boom music, but compared to my previous Sportage, they're a bit flat.

Are they definitely not JBLs in the MY20 Niro?

Sharing photos and jargon between different countries Kia websites doesn't form any basis to what you "contractually" bought. The spec would be the Bible but I'm sure there's an asterisk there somewhere too

Mind you, us pioneering March MY20ers had no idea what to expect. We could only go by rumour and speculation, largely based on UK specs. We of course believed we were stiched up without the LED Headlights, but I am delighted with the bulb replacements that I fitted.

chewed wrote: »
    Not great TBH! I find they distort at loud volume. Not that I boom music, but compared to my previous Sportage, they're a bit flat.

Are they definitely not JBLs in the 2020 Niro?

Not sure if they're JBL or not but I have my doubts as I didn't notice any JBL branding in the one I sat in, whereas other locations have the branding on the speakers similar to the attached image.

Not sure if they're JBL or not but I have my doubts as I didn't notice any JBL branding in the one I sat in, whereas other locations have the branding on the speakers similar to the attached image.

I'll have to double check mine again later, but I don't recall seeing any JBL badge on my speakers. I bought mine in early July

• Advertisement

Sharing photos and jargon between different countries Kia websites doesn't form any basis to what you "contractually" bought. The spec would be the Bible but I'm sure there's an asterisk there somewhere too

Mind you, us pioneering March MY20ers had no idea what to expect. We could only go by rumour and speculation, largely based on UK specs. We of course believed we were stiched up without the LED Headlights, but I am delighted with the bulb replacements that I fitted.

I agree the spec sheet itself is the the bible but unfortunately the Kia Ireland website itself seems to be misleading as it specifically points out the JBL system in this image.

Do you mind mind me asking which LEDs you got and are they straight forward to fit?

I got Hi/Lo ZES LED HB3 9005 on eBay

They just twist in like the standard bulbs. The box says 6500k. The important bits are Hi/Lo and the ZES chip

Left is the original, right is the LED - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202923950239 or cheaper https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000262792851.html

522170.jpg

Cheers, I'm likely buy in a few weeks so this will come in handy.

They just twist in like the standard bulbs. The box says 6500k. The important bits are Hi/Lo and the ZES chip

Left is the original, right is the LED - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202923950239 or cheaper https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000262792851.html

522170.jpg

You might get flashed by oncoming drivers at night, leds add a lot of glare, might be a good idea to get them re-aligned.

Are they definitely not JBLs in the MY20 Niro?

Yeah, I found that too but the calibrating the audio made a *huge* difference. The soundstage isn't as encompassing as I would have thought, given it's a brand new car, but it's good. I listen to Audible, for example, and I still prefer clipping in my bluetooth audio headphones if I can.

I'm happy with them, just not blown away by them.

• Advertisement

You might get flashed by oncoming drivers at night, leds add a lot of glare, might be a good idea to get them re-aligned.

Why do you say that ? You can clearly see the lines for where the light shines, and doesn't. The shape of the light beam is identical to that of the halogen light - it's just that the light is whiter and stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Apparently you can have the same lumen lights LED and halogen but the LEDs seem brighter , something to do with we register the wavelength of the bluer LEDs more ...
    So they can seem to produce a lot of glare ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yeah, I found that too but the calibrating the audio made a *huge* difference. The soundstage isn't as encompassing as I would have thought, given it's a brand new car, but it's good. I listen to Audible, for example, and I still prefer clipping in my bluetooth audio headphones if I can.

I'm happy with them, just not blown away by them.

What do you mean by "calibrating the audio"? Are you talking about balancing the audio in the car?

I contacted Kia Ireland to ask if the speakers were JBL and this is their response...

"Thank you for contacting Kia Customer Care. Your vehicle is fitted with JBL Speakers, the speakers are mounted behind the door card so you may not see any labelling.

If you suspect that there is any problem with the audio system in the vehicle, please make an appointment with your Kia dealer who will be happy to investigate any concerns."

Interesting, keep us updated please

I contacted Kia Ireland to ask if the speakers were JBL and this is their response...

"Thank you for contacting Kia Customer Care. Your vehicle is fitted with JBL Speakers, the speakers are mounted behind the door card so you may not see any labelling.

If you suspect that there is any problem with the audio system in the vehicle, please make an appointment with your Kia dealer who will be happy to investigate any concerns."

Wow, that was a quick turnaround and good to hear it's positive news! Thanks a mill for letting us know.

Why do you say that ? You can clearly see the lines for where the light shines, and doesn't. The shape of the light beam is identical to that of the halogen light - it's just that the light is whiter and stronger.

Led lights have a much more intensive light that can cause a lot more glare and discomfort.

I had to get the lights in my i3 adjusted because I was getting flashed.

+ you’re fitting led lights to a headlamp that is not designed to take this much more intense light.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/16/health/blue-light-led-health-effects-bn-trnd/index.html

What do you mean by "calibrating the audio"? Are you talking about balancing the audio in the car?

See attached, I put greater emphasis on the left speaker to better balance the sound stage. I increased bass and mid.

See attached, I put greater emphasis on the left speaker to better balance the sound stage. I increased bass and mid.

Thanks darrenheaphy. I'll try that out in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Went for a drive in the Comeraghs to see what it’s like in the hills. Great, as it happens. Amusing to then see it gaining 6km range in the 4km drive from Mahon Falls to Mahon Bridge. Another 5km bump up in a descent near Clonmel. I wasn’t sure just how much regen adds, but I wasn’t expecting that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can probably see in the menu somewhere how much regen the car is producing. But it is not uncommon to get say about 25kW on average over a 5 minute steep descent. This will top up your battery by about 2kWh giving you over 10km extra range :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »
    You can probably see in the menu somewhere how much regen the car is producing. But it is not uncommon to get say about 25kW on average over a 5 minute steep descent. This will top up your battery by about 2kWh giving you over 10km extra range :)

Yeah it's in the EV menu somewhere but only an instantaneous readout

(Same menu also shows you how much total is used for driving, climate control and "electronics" I think there is a fourth but can't remember)

JohnC. wrote: »
    Went for a drive in the Comeraghs to see what it’s like in the hills. Great, as it happens. Amusing to then see it gaining 6km range in the 4km drive from Mahon Falls to Mahon Bridge. Another 5km bump up in a descent near Clonmel. I wasn’t sure just how much regen adds, but I wasn’t expecting that.

Isn't it great too how much power there is going up the hills :) When I stopped at Coumshingaun last weekend there was Tesla next me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Yeah it's in the EV menu somewhere but only an instantaneous readout

(Same menu also shows you how much total is used for driving, climate control and "electronics" I think there is a fourth but can't remember)

Battery Care. Have never seen it do anything though!

Urgh, my daughter spilled her whole milk shake in the rear seat and much has flowed down behind/between them. Any way to lift the base seats to clean it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

I feel embarrassed to say that I only just discovered that the right panel when the large display is in split screen mode. It shows the battery information by default, but you can swip up and down to change what is displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Anyone had any luck finding a dealer who will service the eniro for a decent price. €200 price that they are saying is coming from Kia is silly for very little

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Urgh, my daughter spilled her whole milk shake in the rear seat and much has flowed down behind/between them. Any way to lift the base seats to clean it up?

This any help?

photos of the disassembly https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMaetdX0PsFMHexMPI15CIoObxI7t3IQ-IirA9HPZedFbhVS4cqO36-8Y48l8H_xA?key=a3dyMGo2WGxCWWpxQUhZclFPeVE1V3hLT2dqOVZ3

Anyone had any luck finding a dealer who will service the eniro for a decent price. €200 price that they are saying is coming from Kia is silly for very little

Someone about 6 months ago said they got a service done for 80. I remember it was only about an hour's drive from Dublin, down the Naas Road I'm fairly sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

Newgate, Navan, Co. Meath
    Newgate Motor Group - Mercedes-Benz & Kia

Was quoted €80 for the eNiro service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That's very cheeky! I had my dash cam running the whole time the Niro was in for service. Charging €20 for a service would even be a bit much. All they did was check that all the lights worked and topped off the washer fluid. The same as they did on the Ioniq the year before.

At least they used the ozone generator to sanitise the car at the end.

I had no charge as I had winkled a 3 year service plan out of the dealer when I bought the car last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Hi all - have viewed an e-Niro today and excited by it!! Question, what cost are people being quoted and was there anything additional (service pack etc)

Was quoted in around the 41.8k mark for one and just want to know if there’s much haggling (I appreciate the demand aspect) to be done!

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Hi all - have viewed an e-Niro today and excited by it!! Question, what cost are people being quoted and was there anything additional (service pack etc)

Was quoted in around the 41.8k mark for one and just want to know if there’s much haggling (I appreciate the demand aspect) to be done!

Because supply is low there's not a huge amount of wiggle room on the list price but I do think your quote is about €400 above the total on the road price (including delivery and metallic paint charges). I'd recommend calling a few dealers to check if you can get better than that quote. If trading in something against it then maximising what you get for that is perhaps your best bet.

You can get them to include mats, mudflaps and the rubber boot liner. Not sure on availability of service pack.

Also, you'll have the 2% reduction in vat rate in a few weeks so that'll knock off another €800 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Should be able to buy for 40500 straight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

As unkel would say, send out an EMail to every dealer in the country stating you are a cash buyer and would take immediately. (If that is your wish).

When I was interested in a Niro at the start of the pandemic I was told it would probably be next year! They then tried to sell me a Soul which I had little interest in.

More recently when I enquired again there was no problem with ordering one for immediate delivery, I could even pick my colour. This just happened to be at the same time as VW opened the order book for the ID3. So don't believe them when they say they are impossible to get....:)

Btw I ordered an ID.3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

eagerv wrote: »
    As unkel would say, send out an EMail to every dealer in the country stating you are a cash buyer and would take immediately. (If that is your wish).

When I was interested in a Niro at the start of the pandemic I was told it would probably be next year! They then tried to sell me a Soul which I had little interest in.

More recently when I enquired again there was no problem with ordering one for immediate delivery, I could even pick my colour. This just happened to be at the same time as VW opened the order book for the ID3. So don't believe them when they say they are impossible to get....:)

Btw I ordered an ID.3.

So you're saying not requiring finance to buy the kia niro might allow swift delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don’t think requiring finance or not is a factor. It’s just that the supply situation has changed for the better. I also got mine quickly, with the timeframe given before we got into how I’d be paying.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    So you're saying not requiring finance to buy the kia niro might allow swift delivery?

No, but may/maynot allow for a better cash price?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

eagerv wrote: »
    No, but may/maynot allow for a better cash price?

I would leave out the cash buyer from the email, dealers are incentivised to sell a car on finance. I try and delay decisions about how I'm paying until they've shown me all the options.

liamog wrote: »
    I would leave out the cash buyer from the email, dealers are incentivised to sell a car on finance. I try and delay decisions about how I'm paying until they've shown me all the options.

Yes, correct, I should not have mentioned finance.
    I was under the impression that the Niro is not in as short supply as they would like buyers to think.
    And from my limited dealings it looks as though a fairly good discount could be available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement