Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

CPTM wrote: »
    With which dealer did you manage to get a test drive?

Inishowen Motors outside Letterkenny.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ive just had a look at the Kia Austria website, Google translate does wonders!

Although it does struggle with PDF's!

They have details, and a brochure on the my2020 model and shows photos (renders?) of a large screen e-niro, UVO App support etc etc

But they have 4 different versions on the configurator. There is also the option of a 3 phase charger as an extra.

I dont know the situation of tax/grants in austria, but the top spec model is nearly 50k!

all of these have a battery heater though.

Titanium has the 8" screen
    silver and above has the 10.25", app support, vents for the back seats, No wireless charger for phones, only rear parking sensors
    gold has the LED headlights, 220v for back seats, wireless charger
    platinium has the heated rear seats, ventilated seats, real leather, fancy pedals, electric seats

No distinction on single or dual climate control

https://www.kia.com/at/modelle/e-niro/specifications/

Got around to summing up my thoughts in more detail.

I'm mostly impressed. I say mostly, because there are a few drawbacks and they're enough to make me hold back on a purchase.

+size is excellent. Much bigger interior than the i3 but not a tank either.

+plenty of overtaking power. More HP than the i3, but also much heavier. I'd say they're about equal in terms of retaining a bit of poke from 80km+.

+quite well finished interior. I hated the cheap nasty plastics of the Kona, this is much nicer. Softer plastics and a more refined finish. Plus you don't have that horrible centre console that the Kona has, I found that very uncomfortable against my leg.

+decent infotainment screen/system. My old Leaf system was clunky as hell and I wasn't much impressed with the 40kWh version either.

+fine looking car. Looks are subjective of course but I like it. Its no Tesla, but it ain't the Soul either (sorry).

+well specced. I drove the MY19 version and it was pretty good. The MY20 will add LED lights, app support, rear seat heat, front seat ventilation and a bigger screen.

+that warranty...

But...
    -I had a lot of wheelspin, on takeoff and again when I floored it at about 30kmph.

-the interior and infotainment is definitely nice, but also a clear step down from the i3. The quality of reversing camera is like VHS compared to i3 or Tesla being like UHD. Same with the infotainment. Nice, but a bit dated and basic compared to the i3.

-range was not what I had hoped. I would like to be able to manage 350km at LEAST in any weather at motorway speed. Today was cold (4 degrees roughly) when I drove it, but it was dry. The range was indicating 319 at around 80%, but with the heat on at 22 degrees it dropped to 275km and that was at 100kmph speeds. Cold weather and motorway, I'd say I'd struggle to get much past 300km.

-€41k is just too expensive.

So all things considered, I think I'll hold fire. Couldn't justify spending €41k on an e-Niro when €48k could get me a Model 3 for January, or a used Model S with a 4 year warranty.

I'll stick with the i3 for another year at least and then see the lay of the land. E-Niro might be available on the second hand market, the government might pull the plug on the 0% bik and the market will be flooded with Model 3s, or those £38k 2016 Model Ss might become £30k Model Ss and I'd be tempted enough to shell out.

Bif wrote: »
    Folks. What’s the road noise like in the Niro? Thanks.

I didn't notice any in particular. Although that said, I have winter wheels on the i3 at the minute and they make a fair bit of noise at times.

Some pics.

Correction it was 7 degrees today, was 4 earlier on but the car said 7 during the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Couldn't justify spending €41k on an e-Niro when €48k could get me a Model 3 for January, or a used Model S with a 4 year warranty.

Your main stumbling block seems to be range. Tesla Model 3 in your budget has a lot less range than eNiro 64kWh. Also used Model S in that budget has 2 years warranty at the very best, where did you get that 4 year figure from?

unkel wrote: »
    Your main stumbling block seems to be range. Tesla Model 3 in your budget has a lot less range than eNiro 64kWh. Also used Model S in that budget has 2 years warranty at the very best, where did you get that 4 year figure from?

There is a 2015 Model S 70 in the UK tesla CPO list for £38k. That's about €44.5k, plus a few grand of VRT.

Comes with 4 years or 50k miles warranty. So technically only about 3.5 miles for my use.

Theres also a 2016 85 for £39,200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭CPTM

From phoning around it seems I'll be hard pushed to get one by April 2020. Now I'm thinking about upping the ante to a Tesla model 3. Anyone any opinions on whether it's better than the Kia e-niro? I've a baby on the way early next year so a family friendly car would be key. Budget is 50k.

Edit: Not sure I like all the cabin controls being on a touch screen in the tesla. I like physical buttons. Also, the standard Model 3 for 8k more has a range of only 410km, it's 10k euro extra to get the longer range model. I'm back and forth between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭championc

From phoning around it seems I'll be hard pushed to get one by April 2020. Now I'm thinking about upping the ante to a Tesla model 3. Anyone any opinions on whether it's better than the Kia e-niro? I've a baby on the way early next year so a family friendly car would be key. Budget is 50k.

Edit: Not sure I like all the cabin controls being on a touch screen in the tesla. I like physical buttons. Also, the standard Model 3 for 8k more has a range of only 410km, it's 10k euro extra to get the longer range model. I'm back and forth between the two.

If they get a shipment every two months or so, you'd only be looking at possibly mid June at worst for the e-Niro. Spare a thought for those in the UK looking at almost a 12 month queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

kevin16w wrote: »
    I can believe that as soon as the grant went in, the prices piled up... its a disgrace. Thats why im trying to do local, hoping i can get it close enough to grant. Saying that EVbox elvi will be approx €700 and then priority switch between €150 and €170, then RCBO and cabling and labour. It will all add up.

Did you have the EVbox Elvi installed? If you did, was the RCBO type A or Type B. Any issues with the Elvi?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mylow wrote: »
    Did you have the EVbox Elvi installed? If you did, was the RCBO type A or Type B. Any issues with the Elvi?

TIA

Type A with a B(or C) curve is what you need for any 32A charge point

e.g. I have this one on my 32A Rolec charge point...
    https://www.eurosales.ie/products/AD990J.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I attempted a kind of on-paper comparison here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058002961

Now that I've had more time to test drive and research, all of the negatives I listed with the M3 have dissolved. Android Auto isn't the revelation I thought it would be (judging by the Kona), the Tesla nav system is much better than I expected, and Tesla faults and build issues seem to be mostly paint-related.

That said, I would still hesitate before laying down 50k on an SR+ against the cheaper Kia, particularly if I had babies. The easier access for both seating and boot in the higher hatchback car probably makes a big difference. I remember posting my newborn over the headrest of my Mini Cooper S because the baby seat wouldn't go in with the front seat moved forward, and going off to buy a new car the next weekend. Baby stuff is crazy.

graememk wrote: »
    Maybe? When I ordered, expected delivery was march, But was up today test driving the one they had.

They now have one for me in January with my name on it if I want it, but it is definitely the MY 2019 model.

Ok I have confirmation from kia about the "new" Model. Its the same spec as the PHEV (k4?) model that they have there and 2k exactly more than the MY2019 Model

Delivery estimated in March.

I have switched to that model as I like my creature comforts.
    So there might be one free for Jan delivery.

Comes with 4 years or 50k miles warranty.

And already 39k miles on the clock, so realistically less than a year's warranty left.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

And already 39k miles on the clock, so realistically less than a year's warranty left.

No, Tesla's CPO warranty starts from the day you pick it up. Eg on the one with 49k miles on it:

"Covers 2 years from when you take delivery or up to 100,000 total miles on the vehicle's odometer. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through March 2023."

The specific car he mentioned has 4 years cover or 50k miles (whichever comes first)

Some other cars (that typically already have over 50k miles, or are getting very close to it) have 2 years cover or 100k miles. You can search for either group in the left of the screen. Have a look for yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The specific car he mentioned has 4 years cover or 50k miles (whichever comes first)

Some other cars (that typically already have over 50k miles, or are getting very close to it) have 2 years cover or 100k miles. You can search for either group in the left of the screen. Have a look for yourself!

If I got it right it's 50k or 4 years from the delivery of CPO car for cars with 0-50 k on clock pre CPO. For cars over 50k on clock it's 4 years or total odometer figure of 100k. As ELM327's car was 9X k on the clock his warranty only lasts up to 100k.

Incorrect. It's 4 years of 50k miles from when you collect the car.

As shown here, this is from the wattanty info on a CPO Tesla.

495594.jpg

Incorrect. It's 4 years of 50k miles from when you collect the car.

As shown here, this is from the wattanty info on a CPO Tesla.

495594.jpg

Yep this.

The previous post I made covers cars with less than 50k miles. If the car has more than 50k miles it's:

"Covers 2 years from when you take delivery or up to 100,000 total miles on the vehicle's odometer. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through September 2024."

Thanks for clearing that up lads. I do less than 12.5k miles per year, so that would mean a full 4 year warranty. That would be a huge pro alright!

It also explains some of the pricing. ELM327's car was very cheap, but it was getting close to the 100k mark, which means end of warranty (apart from drivetrain and battery obviously)

• Advertisement

Yeah, not sure if I'd be comfortable with that, but each to their own.

Just got an email from Kia ireland if you had hit the email for more information button. Looking like most of the 2020 allocation is nearly presold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got that too. I'm getting the impression from talking to a couple of dealers (latest just this morning) that any statements probably relate to the current model, not the refreshed one coming. They talk about very few coming and nearly all sold. And both dealers denied any knowledge of a refreshed model coming, presumably sworn to silence until an official announcement. When that happens, maybe they won't be all pre-sold any more. But still may sell fast once released.

Looking like most of the 2020 allocation is nearly presold.

That's not what it says!

That's not what it says!
    They are trying to get the e souls sold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Just got an email from Kia ireland if you had hit the email for more information button. Looking like most of the 2020 allocation is nearly presold.

Glad I opted for the January delivery now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

icom wrote: »
    Glad I opted for the January delivery now.

Having attended the ID3 reveal yesterday, I'm glad I opted to buy the 64kWh E-Niro in May when I had the chance.

I'll definitely be asking for my ID3 deposit back now. The reasons? Less range than the Niro. Much smaller boot, long range model is a 4 seater only, and won't be available until 2021 and no heat pump. Sitting in the car behind where I had the driver seat set, the Niro has a good bit more back seat knee room than the ID3. And then there's the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They are talking about eNiros on route to Ireland - presumably on a boat.

That's not necessarily the full 2020 batch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Having attended the ID3 reveal yesterday, I'm glad I opted to buy the 64kWh E-Niro in May when I had the chance.

I'll definitely be asking for my ID3 deposit back now. The reasons? Less range than the Niro. Much smaller boot, long range model is a 4 seater only, and won't be available until 2021 and no heat pump. Sitting in the car behind where I had the driver seat set, the Niro has a good bit more back seat knee room than the ID3. And then there's the price.

My wife has had the opposite reaction, we may be cancelling the e-Niro order and switching it to an MEB model from VAG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

liamog wrote: »
    My wife has had the opposite reaction, we may be cancelling the e-Niro order and switching it to an MEB model from VAG.

I'm not writing off the MEB platform completely. The Buzz has my head turned, although that's a few years off. But the ID3 has become a disappointment for me.

Advertisement