Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

liamog wrote: »
    My wife has had the opposite reaction, we may be cancelling the e-Niro order and switching it to an MEB model from VAG.

My dealer got me to pay a NON refundable deposit. Are you not in the same boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

championc wrote: »
    My dealer got me to pay a NON refundable deposit. Are you not in the same boat ?

Are you expecting to receive the Supervalu voucher before Christmas?

If so they are covering themselves in case you change your mind, it's in the terms and conditions on the KIA website. You must pay a non-refundable deposit of at least 500 euro to avail of the free Supervalu voucher.

https://www.kia.com/ie/purchase-guide/offers-and-promotions/promotion/

icom wrote: »
    Are you expecting to receive the Supervalu voucher before Christmas?

If so they are covering themselves in case you change your mind, it's in the terms and conditions on the KIA website. You must pay a non-refundable deposit of at least 500 euro to avail of the free Supervalu voucher.

https://www.kia.com/ie/purchase-guide/offers-and-promotions/promotion/

The dealer never mentioned the voucher at the time of ordering (late Oct) but I must admit I assume that my order is valid for it, and the conditions of the offer would appear to support that

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I suspect we'll be able to work something out. We're number 2 in the line for an e-Niro in January at that particular dealer. Worst case scenario we'll just sell our place. In my experience non-refundable changes to refundable when a car is in high demand.

I suspect we'll be able to work something out. We're number 2 in the line for an e-Niro in January at that particular dealer. Worst case scenario we'll just sell our place. In my experience non-refundable changes to refundable when a car is in high demand.

I've certainly no intention of cancelling my order. If mine comes in March, then great, but if that goes into April or later, so be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Which dealers? I'll walk in to the dealers with you and pay the deposit for it there and then! Half joking half serious! I'd love to be able to pick one up for Jan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

She's very interested in the Seat El Born, I've booked her in for an e-Golf test drive at the end of the month.
    I guess she'll make a decision then. Looks like we could be holding the Ioniq for a while longer.

In her words, the El Born is sexy the e-Niro is useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Going in tomorrow to see about availability of a jan (current) or March (new) model e niro. If anyone is thinking about canceling their jan vehicle for one of the newer with upgraded lights and touchscreen let me know, as I could be interested in your reservation!

deegs wrote: »
    Going in tomorrow to see about availability of a jan (current) or March (new) model e niro. If anyone is thinking about canceling their jan vehicle for one of the newer with upgraded lights and touchscreen let me know, as I could be interested in your reservation!

She's going to test drive an e-Golf next weekend. Wants to know how a proper sized VW EV feels before making the call. Apparently my e-Up! doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

She's going to test drive an e-Golf next weekend.

She will want to buy it. At €29k it's great value for money.

• Advertisement

Very surprised it's so hard to get these cars. If they're selling so well, why don't they ramp up the price? One dealer told me only 2 days ago that they had one available for collection before April and I'm told today after I've arrived that it's gone already. So now I'm back to the e-soul which is just so ugly at the back. Neptune blue version isn't so bad. I have a baby on the way in April so I need some kind of family friendly car before then is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Kia are a bit of a mess on EV deliveries.

I'd say the importer and dealers hardly know what's planned at the factory and that cars not (YET) pre ordered will randomly arrive during 2020.

The email that some folk got talks of cars enroute - to me that means ON A BOAT or already built and waiting to ship.

Kia in Ireland and it's dealers know what's on a boat imo but not what's getting built in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

CPTM wrote: »
    Very surprised it's so hard to get these cars. If they're selling so well, why don't they ramp up the price? One dealer told me only 2 days ago that they had one available for collection before April and I'm told today after I've arrived that it's gone already. So now I'm back to the e-soul which is just so ugly at the back. Neptune blue version isn't so bad. I have a baby on the way in April so I need some kind of family friendly car before then is the problem.

I don't think you'll fit the buggy in the e-soul boot. It's what stopped us from buying. That and the ugliness. Will probably be sticking with our ioniq

Yeah I saw both today. E soul has more back seat space but a tiny boot. So I went with the Eniro which seems to have a lot of space in the boot in comparison.

Apparently there was a misunderstanding about delivery date. He thought I needed it by January, and said he doesn't know when it will arrive but it will definitely be the first quarter. Anytime before April is fine with me. He was confident about that so I paid the 500€ deposit for it. Fingers crossed it comes before April. And we get the 500€ Supervalu voucher too which is great.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah I saw both today. E soul has more back seat space but a tiny boot. So I went with the Eniro which seems to have a lot of space in the boot in comparison.

Apparently there was a misunderstanding about delivery date. He thought I needed it by January, and said he doesn't know when it will arrive but it will definitely be the first quarter. Anytime before April is fine with me. He was confident about that so I paid the 500€ deposit for it. Fingers crossed it comes before April. And we get the 500€ Supervalu voucher too which is great.

Looks like they are expecting a ship full of cars to arrive in march, I assume that its the "newer" model that your expecting?

graememk wrote: »
    Looks like they are expecting a ship full of cars to arrive in march, I assume that its the "newer" model that your expecting?

EXPECTING is the magic word here. I think it's more " on the balance of all probability". I would certainly be astonished if the "March" cars are not Second Edition units, given the fact that the factory is rolling out SE styled PHEV's

EXPECTING is the magic word here. I think it's more " on the balance of all probability". I would certainly be astonished if the "March" cars are not Second Edition units, given the fact that the factory is rolling out SE styled PHEV's

Yeah, They are charging more for the march/april cars. I wonder when the specs will be updated on the website.

Im fine to wait until march/april. Suits my situation better than a Jan delivery.

Yeah it was 2k extra for any model from post February stock. Apparently for "Fees PE". Anyone know what that could be? Also, would anyone know if the heat pump thing is included in the stock coming to Ireland? It seems to make It very efficient to keep the car heated or cooled. From looking at the videos online it seems to be like an extra thing that can be added. I forgot to ask today.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Yeah it was 2k extra for any model from post February stock. Apparently for "Fees PE". Anyone know what that could be? Also, would anyone know if the heat pump thing is included in the stock coming to Ireland? It seems to make It very efficient to keep the car heated or cooled. From looking at the videos online it seems to be like an extra thing that can be added. I forgot to ask today.

The current eNiro has a heat pump, but in the specs it's called an Inner Condenser HVAC. I would expect the Second Edition eNiro to also include this.

icom wrote: »
    The current eNiro has a heat pump, but in the specs it's called an Inner Condenser HVAC. I would expect the Second Edition eNiro to also include this.

There's talk of the SE having a larger 11kw charger rather than the 7kw

• Advertisement

There's talk of the SE having a larger 11kw charger rather than the 7kw

The Dutch one comes with a three phase 11kw charger. Most likey 3 16amp phases, as opposed to a 32amp single phase.

Is three phase more common on the continent?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Dutch one comes with a three phase 11kw charger. Most likey 3 16amp phases, as opposed to a 32amp single phase.

32A single phase is 7.2kW

16A 3 phase is 11kW

Is three phase more common on the continent?

Yes it is. Depends on the country and on the age of the house, but generally, yes it's more common and also a lot cheaper to get upgraded. My mate lives in a relatively new house (early noughties) in NL, his single phase supply is very limited, much lower power than what you get in Ireland, but he could upgrade to 3 phase for about €100. In Ireland this is minimum €2.5k last time I looked.

unkel wrote: »
    32A single phase is 7.2kW

16A 3 phase is 11kW

Ah, gotcha, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »

Yes it is. Depends on the country and on the age of the house, but generally, yes it's more common and also a lot cheaper to get upgraded. My mate lives in a relatively new house (early noughties) in NL, his single phase supply is very limited, much lower power than what you get in Ireland, but he could upgrade to 3 phase for about €100. In Ireland this is minimum €2.5k last time I looked.

I know this is going way off topic, but what's involved in upgrading the supply? New cabling, or just turning up the juice?
    What are the benefits? etc.

Soarer wrote: »
    I know this is going way off topic, but what's involved in upgrading the supply? New cabling, or just turning up the juice?
    What are the benefits? etc.

Yeah you usually need more cables into your premises, used more in industry that run big electric motors,

As three phase power has power coming in on 3 cables and the each AC wave form is 120 degrees out of phase with each other. Afaik electric motors are more efficient on 3 phase power.

Most lathe and mill motors usually require 3 phase (but you can normally get around it with a VFD, but that's only on small scale. )

So tldr : more cables , more power. Usually not needed in residential circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yeah you usually need more cables into your premises, used more in industry that run big electric motors,

As three phase power has power coming in on 3 cables and the each AC wave form is 120 degrees out of phase with each other. Afaik electric motors are more efficient on 3 phase power.

Most lathe and mill motors usually require 3 phase (but you can normally get around it with a VFD, but that's only on small scale. )

So tldr : more cables , more power. Usually not needed in residential circumstances.

It seems we are approaching a situation with our household use of electricity that something will have to be done in the mid to long term to facilitate the extra use.

To double each household supply, from 60A to 120A, would require, I believe, a huge revamp of the electricity infrastructure, from substations, local transformers, meters, household feed wires and consumer units, it seems unlikely to happen.

Some alternative is more likely IMO ....... maybe a supplementary supply for those homes which need extra capacity for short term use, which might be supplied by household battery storage or some other means.

What would need to change to provide 3-phase in place of single phase?
    Maybe even bigger changes.

We are already at the stage where 80A supply is requested so I guess it is not a big leap to expect 120A requirements in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It seems we are approaching a situation with our household use of electricity that something will have to be done in the mid to long term to facilitate the extra use.

To double each household supply, from 60A to 120A, would require, I believe, a huge revamp of the electricity infrastructure, from substations, local transformers, meters, household feed wires and consumer units, it seems unlikely to happen.

Some alternative is more likely IMO ....... maybe a supplementary supply for those homes which need extra capacity for short term use, which might be supplied by household battery storage or some other means.

What would need to change to provide 3-phase in place of single phase?
    Maybe even bigger changes.

We are already at the stage where 80A supply is requested so I guess it is not a big leap to expect 120A requirements in the future.

It seems like if it's a solvable problem for farms it ought not to be that difficult for homes.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/farm-premises

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You don't need to upgrade your home ESB to deal with your car being 11 kw AC capable.

Car will still happily charge at the 7 kw your home can work with.

Zoe owners have worked like that for years with Renault having 22 and (on Q models) 43 kw AC capabilities.

Or am I missing something.

(Wanting to upgrade your home to 3 phase is another matter. I'm merely saying there isn't a need.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Lumen wrote: »
    It seems like if it's a solvable problem for farms it ought not to be that difficult for homes.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/farm-premises

Solvable yes of course.

Presently the 'standard' connection is half the max domestic connection of 29KVA.
    I doubt the present infrastructure in most residential locations could handle, without upgrades, multiple domestic installs of 29KVA supplies.

This I suspect is reflected in the cost of such connections.

Yet our individual peak demand continues to increase and will increase further as time passes, and we move to more electric motive power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yet our individual peak demand continues to increase and will increase further as time passes, and we move to more electric motive power.

The idea is to charge at night where there is masses of spare electric capacity that wont affect our peak demand at all.

Some upgrades will be required in time when we have the majority of cars charging at night but thats a decade or two away.

Advertisement