Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

championc wrote: »
    For anyone awaiting a First Edition in early January, the Morning Celine docked in Dublin yesterday morning.

It's not a "real" EV thread without a mention of a car transporter ship... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It's not a "real" EV thread without a mention of a car transporter ship... ;-)

Or if you want to go full on fanboy/girl, you need to mention something that you're now 100% happy with and add "gate" to it..... Eg I haven't got me SuperValu voucher yet....suddenly VoucherGate is trending on twitter....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Timelapse

Looking to book the second edition E-Niro at a KIA Dealer.
    Getting all sorts of different answers from various dealers about availability, price, voucher and refundable/non refundable deposits.

Also there seems to be a discrepancy over the price too quoted:confused:
    KIA Dundrum is saying 40,695[ 37,495€+2000(second edition bump up) + 500 (Metallic paint) + 700(delivery cost)] on the road price.
    1000€ Non refundable deposit, 500€ Supervalu voucher, delivery time Apr.

Other dealers are saying deposit is 500€ and you get a voucher..Apr delivery. Even price is varying a bit??

Another dealer is saying that the Voucher is valid for cars only up till March delivery. (First quarter)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Timelapse wrote: »
    Getting all sorts of different answers from various dealers about availability, price, voucher and refundable/non refundable deposits.

KIA Dundrum is saying 40,695[ 37,495€+2000(second edition bump up) + 500 (Metallic paint) + 700(delivery cost)] on the road price.

Other dealers are saying deposit is 500€ and you get a voucher..Apr delivery. Even price is varying a bit??

Another dealer is saying that the Voucher is valid for cars only up till March delivery. (First quarter)

Simply put down a deposit of €500 on any 201 Kia model before 18th December 2019 and we’ll return it you in €500 SuperValu Giftcard!

You should get a Supervalu voucher if the car is going to be delivered before 1st July 2020

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I already have the voucher. A 201 is a 201 they have till the end of June and if they don't deliver it's on them

I know one of us here didn't have a good time at dundrum but a much better service at Liffey valley do ask around first

You have until the 18th for the voucher so some time yet. Been quoted the same delivery window too.

Any more hard details on what the second edition has?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I have clarified pricing with my new dealership, Liffey Valley, and the price of €40,295 after the €500 deposit is deducted is fully INCLUSIVE of all charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

White eNiro available in Donegal

http://www.herronauto.ie/notice/?id=24558944

Is there further delays on the 450km range niro.

I have one ordered and it was to be delivered in March. Got a call from the dealer saying it is delayed till end of April early May. I am sceptical as they raised their prices since I ordered by 2k. He was nearly trying to encourage me to cancel and I said no I will wait as I want the car and he almost sounded disappointed. Sooner dealerships are done away with the better, my experiences with this dealership is not great, never phoning back and when they do it's to say theres a delay and I can get my booking deposit refunded if I want

Just wondering if any others are getting phone calls of delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I have one ordered and it was to be delivered in March. Got a call from the dealer saying it is delayed till end of April early May. I am sceptical as they raised their prices since I ordered by 2k. He was nearly trying to encourage me to cancel and I said no I will wait as I want the car and he almost sounded disappointed. Sooner dealerships are done away with the better, my experiences with this dealership is not great, never phoning back and when they do it's to say theres a delay and I can get my booking deposit refunded if I want

So frustrating.....

Presumably he wants you to do a deal on another Kia - but the idiot is too shortsighted to realise that if you cancel eNiro then you need have no more to do with him.

And can buy whatever you get instead of eNiro from another dealer.

Were it me I would......

1) set a max price you are willing to pay for eNiro in your head. So if it goes above that - you are pulling the deal.

2) have a date in mind for the latest you are willing to wait for the car.

Id allude to the dealer the date but would keep the max price to myself until the dealer goes over it.

Id let the dealer know when discussing dates that the only car you will be buying of them is eNiro. And that if you have to cancel you will buy the other car elsewhere.

That's what id do - because I've no interest in disinterested salesmen.

Sounds like you need to consider going with another dealership. Phone others to see if another can guarantee you one for April delivery.
    It could be that the one you are dealing with has been allocated less cars than they have ordered, and so they have pushed you out into the second batch of Second Edition cars (SE = €2k increase)

• Advertisement

Yeah something smells, I have no problem with dealers and giving options and coming clean, instead of trying to save face, they are gonna lose the sale anyway if they cancel.

Do ring/visit different dealers to see what they are offering. It most likely will be the 2k bump in price for the March/April (that could easily slip) delivery, no ships scheduled yet.

The original price is only been quoted for Jan deliveries (I think they all are in the country now)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I know that Kia Ireland received around half of the expected cars for January deliveries. Likely means that a few people who were expecting cars in January will now be taking them from March's allocation.
    On a side note, our dealer gave us a full refund on the non-refundable deposit. They were able to keep us happy, and make another customer happy with a car in January.

liamog wrote: »
    I know that Kia Ireland received around half of the expected cars for January deliveries. Likely means that a few people who were expecting cars in January will now be taking them from March's allocation.
    On a side note, our dealer gave us a full refund on the non-refundable deposit. They were able to keep us happy, and make another customer happy with a car in January.

One part of me feels that Irish dealers are using the UK to push Irish sales along. I cannot believe that Kia Ireland don't know as to what cars are coming until they touch down in the docks in Dublin, nor do I believe that they won't get all cars actually ordered. What better way to get customers frenzied than to use the "shortage" story to get any fence sitters to sign on the dotted line.

I also don't believe for one minute that Kia Ireland don't know the spec of the Second Edition. They will have discussed the Euro price point with Frankfurt and come up with a spec to match it. I can only assume that they are afraid of First Edition customers suddenly cancelling orders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

I got my supervalu voucher today. What happens if I cancel my order? I have a baby on the way early April, and I need the car before then. I was told when signing that it would be March but I'm not liking the uncertainty.

CPTM wrote: »
    I got my supervalu voucher today. What happens if I cancel my order? I have a baby on the way early April, and I need the car before then. I was told when signing that it would be March but I'm not liking the uncertainty.

You either return the voucher and get refunded, or spend the voucher and nothing else happens, provided your dealership isn't an arse and starts banging on about it being non-refundable. A good dealer will easily have a buyer lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

They'll keep your deposit & you keep the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 audab

My wife got that call yesterday too. Similar dates although he said something about it maybe becoming a 202 which would mean July! She's not too bothered though. He offered her a white one on the original date but she said she'd wait.

No sign of the voucher either, although the dealer promised she'd have it soon

You could make a bit of noise with Kia and see if they'd sort you out a loaner if any slippage.

The way I see it - you ordered in good faith thinking you'd be in your new car for early April in time for the new arrival.

The way to put it to them imo is that you would have bought a different car had you known.

No guarantee that will work and I'm sure there's "no obligation" on them to help you.

It's what id be pushing for if I was in your situation though.

Old diesel wrote: »
    You could make a bit of noise with Kia and see if they'd sort you out a loaner if any slippage.

The way I see it - you ordered in good faith thinking you'd be in your new car for early April in time for the new arrival.

The way to put it to them imo is that you would have bought a different car had you known.

No guarantee that will work and I'm sure there's "no obligation" on them to help you.

It's what id be pushing for if I was in your situation though.

Yeah that's a very good option, esp if your trading a car means they can get it sold on if a buyer comes looking. Can't sell it if they don't have it!

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah that's a very good option, esp if your trading a car means they can get it sold on if a buyer comes looking. Can't sell it if they don't have it!

Should stress that they are almost certainly under no obligation to do that. Delays can and do happen so without having seen the terms and Conditions that a Kia is ordered under. Id say there's wiggle room there for Kia to cover themselves under a delay.

If they do it - it's because they are being helpful/nice - it's totally dependent on a dealer or Kia realising that perhaps it's better to sort out a loaner for a few weeks and keep the sale. Rather then the customer buying a car elsewhere.

Normally I'd be like meh these things happen but this is sloppy from Kia and theyve a track record of this with eNiros.

• Advertisement

Contact them through Twitter. Ask them to DM you back. Worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Well, here we are. Six months and 10,000km since I took delivery of the E-Niro. I thought it was time for a mini report.

The car has been great to drive and has been quiet (no clicks taps or rumbles to report) and has been a pleasure to own and drive. I like the high driving position as it gives better forward vision. I don't have any issues with road noise, but the boot is normally full of coats, bags and other stuff so this probably helps to sound deaden. I don't suffer a lot of wheel spin, probably because I know how to use a throttle to control the car. :p The power on the move is addictive though and I find myself making passes I wouldn't previously have dreamt of, even in my old 180BHP turbo diesel. I haven't had any of the torque steer problems I noticed on the Kona.

Interior space is huge and is all usable with the hatchback configuration. I've had the back full with the seats down for a lot of journeys. There's plenty of knee room for back seat passengers even with the front seats well back.

The range has normally been beyond the manufacturer spec, as has been reported around the world. In Summer, my GOM reported a smidge short of 500km on a full charge. The winter weather has taken it's toll and recently my GOM has been showing 410km on a full charge.

Long runs haven't been a problem with range or comfort of the driver seat. The lack of an adjustable lumbar support could have been an issue for me, with a very dodgy lumbar spine, but after many tweaks and adjustments of the seat and steering wheel position I have it just where I want it.

The headlights are terrible and aren't greatly improved by the LED bulbs I've fitted. Now instead of crap yellow beams, I have crap white beams. Proper LED headlights on the newer cars should solve this problem.

I've added an alloy space-saver spare tyre and kit. This fits snugly in the spare wheel well under the boot double layer. I'm playing around with a frunk at the moment, but will probably order one of the purpose built ones on sale now for €180.

20200103-122355-1.jpg

20200103-121539-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Nice review, just shy of 10k myself and have a similar positive experience but don't get anywhere near your GOM estimates but probably to do with a heavy right foot :)

Are you charging to 100% often, I'm trying to keep to 30-70% as much as possible for battery longevity but not sure if it will make that much of a difference.

Also, could you please link where you got the spare wheel and the purpose built Frunk?

Thanks
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Waaa things were crazy and I never got around to going over to them in Dec to book one! :( What am I looking at now - a new car after my birthday in June? I did get a call asking if I wanted to trade the hybrid in for phev but my heart is set on bev.

tk123 wrote: »
    Waaa things were crazy and I never got around to going over to them in Dec to book one! :( What am I looking at now - a new car after my birthday in June? I did get a call asking if I wanted to trade the hybrid in for phev but my heart is set on bev.

You might find a large dedicated Kia dealer with a spare slot in their April allocation.

jspuds wrote: »
    Nice review, just shy of 10k myself and have a similar positive experience but don't get anywhere near your GOM estimates but probably to do with a heavy right foot :)

Are you charging to 100% often, I'm trying to keep to 30-70% as much as possible for battery longevity but not sure if it will make that much of a difference.

Also, could you please link where you got the spare wheel and the purpose built Frunk?

Thanks
    J

Frunk...

http://www.frunk.at/Kia-Niro/

Wheel...

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels/17-kia-niro-2016-kom-space-saver-kit-12580r17-uniroyal-tyre

I seem to get the most out of the available efficiency in my EVs for some reason. But I tend to stick to the speed limits and I tend not to gun it off the line. I'm sure it goes back to my early days of driving when there was fuel rationing and shortages. It was either drive ultra efficient or run out of petrol. I guess it got into my bones.

I only use the auto regen in town or heavy traffic. Once I get out onto the open road I turn it off and set regen to zero. This is the only way to get true zero as there is still some regen at zero in auto mode. Then I coast when I can.

I only charge to 100% before a long run. Normally I only charge to 70%.

I've added an alloy space-saver spare tyre and kit.

20200103-121539-1.jpg

What size Tyre is on the spare, or what car did the spare come from. I'm certainly not keen on the electric pump and goo option.

championc wrote: »
    What size Tyre is on the spare, or what car did the spare come from. I'm certainly not keen on the electric pump and goo option.

Link above...

I had a long conversation with the local dealer master tech and the supplier about the sizing on the wheel/tyre combination. The general opinion is that the linked set is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Aside from adding a frunk, is there anywhere convenient for the jack if the wheel is in the well?

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    Aside from adding a frunk, is there anywhere convenient for the jack if the wheel is in the well?

Yeah, loads of room in the layer above the wheel well, but under the floor. Loads of stuff could be stored in the wheel, but the scissor jack just won't fit across it.

Advertisement