Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

championc wrote: »
    I just downloaded it, stuck it into Dropbox, went to download it from there and it automatically prompted me to install it.

It installed perfectly and then allowed me to create an account. It required my mobile number for two factor authentication, and happily accepted Ireland and my mobile number

I already have a uk play account for, it's just another Google account on my phone initially setup as being in the UK. The two accounts play perfectly well with each other. You can switch between the two from the menu.

Also a demo of the app on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXn1aFVmziE&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just downloaded it, stuck it into Dropbox, went to download it from there and it automatically prompted me to install it.

It installed perfectly and then allowed me to create an account. It required my mobile number for two factor authentication, and happily accepted Ireland and my mobile number
    I have a Niro PHEV and I successfully installed the app the same way.

However, when I got to the stage that it requested me to enter the VIN it refused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

https://youtu.be/YXn1aFVmziE

Looks excellent. Very responsive and better than both Nissan/BMW efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Alun wrote: »
    I have a Niro PHEV and I successfully installed the app the same way.

However, when I got to the stage that it requested me to enter the VIN it refused it.

Is your PHEV an MY20 ? Have you the 10.25" screen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/YXn1aFVmziE

Looks excellent. Very responsive and better than both Nissan/BMW efforts.

I was hoping it could be used to defrost/heat the car without it needing to be plugged in and that confirms it. Handy for after work in winter.

• Advertisement

Is your PHEV an MY20 ? Have you the 10.25" screen ?
    Yep, both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Is the app available for an iPhone? I found many others but not KiaUVO

peposhi wrote: »
    Is the app available for an iPhone? I found many others but not KiaUVO
    Yeah but it's region locked to the UK /wherever they have released it in Europe

One thing that confuses me is that on the "Add vehicle" page, on the button under where you enter the VIN, it says "Send Verification Code to Vehicle". Does that mean the vehicle has to be connected to the Internet at the time you do it, e.g. via the phones hotspot, or what?

One thing that confuses me is that on the "Add vehicle" page, on the button under where you enter the VIN, it says "Send Verification Code to Vehicle". Does that mean the vehicle has to be connected to the Internet at the time you do it, e.g. via the phones hotspot, or what?

The car has its own sim card for communication. So as long as it has service it will work.

It's prob a roaming sim that works on any network. The name escapes me but ovms use a sim like that.

• Advertisement

graememk wrote: »
    The car has its own sim card for communication. So as long as it has service it will work.

It's prob a roaming sim that works on any network. The name escapes me but ovms use a sim like that.
    Ok, so presumably the car needs to be switched on at least for the initial setup then?

Ok, so presumably the car needs to be switched on at least for the initial setup then?

Maybe, maybe not, as it is always connected to allow remote control. It may not be activated on the Kia side/sim side.

I wonder where the SIM is

Well tried it with the car on, and connected via hotspot but no dice. I'm wondering if a software update might be needed on the head unit as there's no sign of UVO Connect anywhere in the setup menus, although I swear I saw it once when I first got the car, or maybe I'm imagining it.

If there is a SIM in it, it's well hidden, or not present at all or not activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Maybe, maybe not, as it is always connected to allow remote control. It may not be activated on the Kia side/sim side.

I wonder where the SIM is

Someone in KIA HQ in Dublin needs to throw the switch to activate the UVO service in Ireland.

I've read elsewhere that the Kia Live system is also supposed to work via the built-in SIM card, but again the only way I can get it to work is using my phone's hotspot. It wouldn't surprise me if there's some issue with getting a mobile operator on board here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've read elsewhere that the Kia Live system is also supposed to work via the built-in SIM card, but again the only way I can get it to work is using my phone's hotspot. It wouldn't surprise me if there's some issue with getting a mobile operator on board here in Ireland.

Looks like it's entirely dependent on the onboard sim and mobile service provider. Anyone know if the e- soul has working mobile services? Bet'cha it doesn't!

Hologram.io is the roaming sim that ovms uses, it works on any network. Also the data transferred should be tiny where them sort of SIM cards would suit.

Gps tracking companies use Sims like that etc.

But I still think it needs to be activated on Kia's side unfortunately :-(

Corrected the link for you, you just put the clip's ID in the YOUTUBE tags, not the whole URL.

I fired off another email yesterday to Kia asking them to clarify what the story is, still waiting on a reply.

They have started to post about the xceed phev on Twitter,

Are they built in Slovenia...Slovakia?

Think that is coming in under 30k 58km electric range.

If so anyone know how they get to Ireland?

Train to zeebrugge, then ship?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

They have started to post about the xceed phev on Twitter,

Are they built in Slovenia...Slovakia?

Think that is coming in under 30k 58km electric range.

If so anyone know how they get to Ireland?

Train to zeebrugge, then ship?

Production of the new Kia XCeed will commence this August (2019) at Kia’s Žilina manufacturing facility in Slovakia

Kia Motors has started moving spot shipments of passenger cars made at its Zilina factory in Slovakia through the port of Gdansk in Poland for delivery to the UK. The Korean carmaker is working with Polish transport and logistics provider Adampol for the transport and processing of the vehicles. The main volume of Kia's exports to the UK continue through the port of Cuxhaven in Germany.

Presume it's the same process to move cars to Ireland.

Kia has launched production of its plug-in hybrid car in Slovakia, Link:
    https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22350488/kia-has-launched-production-of-plug-in-hybrid-xceed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Interesting to see in that infotainment video that it can apparently play video from USB. Obviously they'll not allow it while driving, but it'll be interesting to see what types of video it'll play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

XCeed PHEV will be here in May.

Anyone else expecting their car at the end of March ? I've just been told by the dealership that they expect it in in the next week to 10 days :)

Anyone else expecting their car at the end of March ? I've just been told by the dealership that they expect it in in the next week to 10 days :)

I'm expecting end of March, who else?

All eyes on the ship trackers for Dublin port?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nobby on cars did a pretty decent review today:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

Got a call from dealer this week to say that a few were on the way, but Kia had raised the price. The before grant price is now 50,795. But looking at the Kia website the price is 37,495.32

Is the Kia website price wrong?

If not, where is the additional 3,300 going, after grants are factored in? Dealer delivery charge or something?

Got a call from dealer this week to say that a few were on the way, but Kia had raised the price. The before grant price is now 50,795. But looking at the Kia website the price is 37,495.32

If not, where is the additional 3,300 going, after grants are factored in? Dealer delivery charge or something?

The 37k (ex works) was for the first edition, for me the second edition for me was 2k more than the first edition.

The first editions from my dealer came with the granny charger, where the official line it seems that it just comes with the type 2 cable.

You do know about the Second Edition, don't you ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

You do know about the Second Edition, don't you ????

Nope I didn't, I simply asked why the increased cost and was told Kia raised the prices of all cars in January. He said nothing about a SE. I did ask if the car had the bigger screen like the Plug in and was told he didn't know.

Are you saying that they extra 3,300 is because it could be the SE?

Advertisement