Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you saying that they extra 3,300 is because it could be the SE?
    To my knowledge (open to correction), but all e-niros sold in Ireland in 2020 will be the SE spec, so the higher priced vehicle, with the larger heads-up display. It was discussed earlier in these pages, but the spec and pricing on the website seem to be both out of date and not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I updated the software and maps on the Niro today. It took about 15 minutes for the system update. It took way longer to write the files to the SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

I updated the software and maps on the Niro today. It took about 15 minutes for the system update. It took way longer to write the files to the SD card.

Any improvement on the 2019 maps ?

What size are the files, wondering how long it would take me to download on my crap 4Mbit/s internet connection or should I torture my dealer to do it ?

icom wrote: »
    Any improvement on the 2019 maps ?

What size are the files, wondering how long it would take me to download on my crap 4Mbit/s internet connection or should I torture my dealer to do it ?

The files are quite big, the maps are 18.4GB and software is 6.08GB. You could probably leave them downloading overnight.

The maps will obviously be at least a year newer than the originals, but will still be a year behind reality. Meaning that neither the M11 Enniscorthy bypass nor the new bridge at New Ross will be on them. It looks to be a nicer interface with some changes to the nav system. I haven't had time to play with it yet. :p

Your dealer is probably completely unaware that these updates are available and will likely tell you that you have the latest updates.... regardless of which version you have. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Here's the upgrade procedure thanks to Carol Steele on FB

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »

For anyone wanting to confront their dealer about this, the picture of the system details in that PDF is what your screen should look like when the update is done.

Nope I didn't, I simply asked why the increased cost and was told Kia raised the prices of all cars in January. He said nothing about a SE. I did ask if the car had the bigger screen like the Plug in and was told he didn't know.

Are you saying that they extra 3,300 is because it could be the SE?

I suspect many people were duped by dealers who let on that they knew nothing about the SE so that they wouldn't be stuck with First Edition cars. The SE details were leaked around August last year, and many UK FE owners changed FE orders to SE's. So I suspect that many who should have gotten SE's suddenly ended up with FE's

For me, my first dealer was worse in that, in addition to denying all knowledge of the SE (or saying it would be late 2020) they wouldn't honour the pre Christmas SuperValu €500 voucher. I promptly cancelled my order and took my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

Thanks for the feedback. I originally followed this thread last June / July when I put my deposit down, but was told there would be nothing until this March.

Anyway it sounds like the price increase is valid if it's a SE. Otherwise I maybe getting screwed.

Oddly I received the 500 gift card last Christmas, didn't know anything about it or expected it!

When I was talking with the dealer, I asked about the granny charger as I heard they were removed last year. He said it was included.

Yep, seems to be conflicting info regarding whether the granny charger is supplied or not

I think you did well now getting the SE because there could well be others who ordered after then and got an FE

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Alun wrote: »
    I fired off another email yesterday to Kia asking them to clarify what the story is, still waiting on a reply.
    Well that was an utter and complete waste of my time ...

Got the following reply today ...
    Dear Mr. xxxxx

Thank you for contacting Kia Customer Care. We recommend to visit your Kia dealer who can answer any queries that you have on your specific vehicle.

Click here to find a list of Kia dealers across Ireland.

Regards,
    What of course will happen is that when I ring my dealer they won't know the answer, so they will have to contact Kia themselves. Kia will probably palm them off with some generic non-committal reply, which they'll relay on to me, without any chance to question it.

I mean, why did they think I contacted them directly in the first place?

What is also weird is that the person who replied used an email address that ended with @theaa.ie !!! Are Kia outsourcing their "customer care" to the AA these days or what?

• Advertisement

I have noticed that a few recent Tweets looked very like the opinions of the person who had control of the Twitter account rather than stuff from their marketing team giving the "company speak" stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

"We recommend to visit your Kia dealer who can answer any queries that you have on your specific vehicle."

Haha, yeah right. The dealer knows just about feck all about the car.

Thanks, maps updated, no issues.

So my SE is in Dublin Port - awaiting delivery to the dealership. Looks like it came in on the Patara or the Schelde Highway, so it hasn't come directly from Pyeongtaek (unlike the new January registrations). So these are the first SE's to hit Irish stores. If you're awaiting one, expect a phonecall from the dealer imminently.

Despite the fact that I'm likely to have my car before the weekend, I've still no specific details on the spec, apart from LED Lights, UVO and the wider 10.25" Screen. The price is up by the expected €2k as always expected / confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

So my SE is in Dublin Port - awaiting delivery to the dealership. Looks like it came in on the Patara or the Schelde Highway, so it hasn't come directly from Pyeongtaek (unlike the new January registrations). So these are the first SE's to hit Irish stores. If you're awaiting one, expect a phonecall from the dealer imminently.

Despite the fact that I'm likely to have my car before the weekend, I've still no specific details on the spec, apart from LED Lights, UVO and the wider 10.25" Screen. The price is up by the expected €2k as always expected / confirmed

Nice 👍 when did you order yours? How do you know it’s in Dublin Port?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Nice 👠when did you order yours? How do you know it’s in Dublin Port?

Mines there too, at the mercy of the car transporters now, ordered in November time, had an option of the first edition but waited for the second with the bigger screen

Nice 👠when did you order yours? How do you know it’s in Dublin Port?

Ordered November, specifically a SE. The dealer called me to make sure I had the money ready to go !!! in case they are forced to close their doors to the public due to the virus

graememk wrote: »
    Mines there too, at the mercy of the car transporters now, ordered in November time, had an option of the first edition but waited for the second with the bigger screen

Fingers crossed they put a heat pump in the SE as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone having second thoughts about getting theirs?

I was meant to go into Conways on Saturday to put down a deposit but I think now I’ll ring them tomorrow and say I’ll make a decision in May when the car is actually in, can’t see there being as big a backlog now

Realistically anyone could be laid off until this blows over
    *unless you’re a guard, nurse, doctor etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anyone having second thoughts about getting there’s?

I was meant to go into Conways on Saturday to put down a deposit but I think now I’ll ring them tomorrow and say I’ll make a decision in May when the car is actually in, can’t see there being as big a backlog now

JD told me weeks ago they'd have info in April and weren't taking deposits! My hybrid is due in for service on Monday - wondering if it'll still go ahead!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

No second thoughts here, although when we get our hands on it we'll know the proper spec and will try to answer as much as possible.

Yeah I have an nct on Thursday but there is reduced human contact there anyway, might bring a good coat and sit outside.

Still feel it's really odd that they are holding back the spec of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No second thoughts - really looking forward to our first ever new car (after 25 years of driving). Just a lot of uncertainty about when we'll finally get it. Initial survey from a home charger installer pointed at needed electrical re-work (another €500), plus ESB re-certification (another €175), all of which are likely to suffer lengthy delays. All small complaints in the current climate, but you could just buy an ICE-based vehicle/hybrid almost immediately without any of the inconvenience. We're not doing it for the money savings, but rather because we think it's the right thing to do and I love the technology. We've never test-driven the car, have only seen them in passing in the street, so while I'm convinced it's the right car for us, it's a pretty significant (arguably foolish) leap of faith.

Very happy to see that graememk and championc are getting their cars in the near future and will lead the charge when it comes to getting info on the specs, availability of the sim card, packaged charging cables, etc.

They may have one in the next week or so on their way to someone, and could give you a good look at it then. But in all honesty, goodness knows when the next shipment might come.

I got my frunk on Monday. The amount of storage it creates is amazing. I posted a picture of a storage box that I had fitted previously. The back box of the frunk took all of the stuff that it held. It's a bit expensive at €200 delivered, but it'll make a huge difference to me on a long run, with the extra cables and stuff I carry then.

IMG-20200312-111445-1.jpg

It looks like there is a rubber seal around the top, so I presume it is waterproof when the boot lid is closed?

unkel wrote: »
    It looks like there is a rubber seal around the top, so I presume it is waterproof when the boot lid is closed?

No, Unk. It's not rubber. Just a trim like you used to get on older cars' welded joints. However, the gap between the frunk and the bonnet lid is less then 1cm. I can't see water getting that high in the compartment anyway. The box I had fitted before this wasn't even slightly waterproof and I had a cloth in there for about 2 months (including a very wet UK run), the cloth was still bone dry.

Very handy to have. Particularly if you regularly drive with a boot full of stuff (so it would be awkward to get a cable out)

My car is at the dealership and I'll pick it up in the morning. Maybe I now see why the website hasn't been updated. It appears that it's basically an MY19 with the large screen. So sorry folks but no Led lights and no heatpump.

My car is at the dealership and I'll pick it up in the morning. Maybe I now see why the website hasn't been updated. It appears that it's basically an MY19 with the large screen. So sorry folks but no Led lights and no heatpump.

Paddy Spec again, the app better work :mad:

• Advertisement

Is that a front parking sensor I see in one of the shots? None on the first edition.

Advertisement