Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

icom wrote: »
    Nice, what colour did you go for ?

How many are being delivered, do you know.

The grey one, platinum graphite. No idea how many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

At this point in time, I've forgotten all about the LED headlights. It's an awesome machine. I'm absolutely buzzing over the 11kw charger tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

championc wrote: »
    At this point in time, I've forgotten all about the LED headlights. It's an awesome machine. I'm absolutely buzzing over the 11kw charger tbh

It sure is, enjoy.

You can upgrade to LED bulbs later on.

Yeah that has come in from left of field!, So whats the list of things that they added in the SE?

So, as its 3 phase, It should come with a 3 phase cable (i know the one you got was only a single phase). Mistake on the Dealer or do they not have them?

As you have the UVO app from the apk/UK play store, can it be setup or does a switch need to be thrown in kia ireland?

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah that has come in from left of field!, So whats the list of things that they added in the SE?

So, as its 3 phase, It should come with a 3 phase cable (i know the one you got was only a single phase). Mistake on the Dealer or do they not have them?

As you have the UVO app from the apk/UK play store, can it be setup or does a switch need to be thrown in kia ireland?

I believe Dealers have no phase 3 cables. Dealer has sent an email to HQ. So that was something which they simply never thought of. Of course, they will need to get them ordered in.

I believe they need to flick a switch for UVO. It sounds like the Sim card may well be in the car.

After a quick spin this evening, I can confirm that it also comes with the ambient lighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it's the same as the Phev, you can change the colour of the ambient lighting too. Mine came set to orange or red but I changed it to blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Alun wrote: »
    If it's the same as the Phev, you can change the colour of the ambient lighting too. Mine came set to orange or red but I changed it to blue.

First Edition eNiro also has the ambient lighting, still would have preferred a heat pump instead !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Still no sign of a full spec list?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Still no sign of a full spec list?

Correct - absolutely nothing. Apparently it will be "soon" !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yep - so the Type-2 and the granny charger cable. I've checked my Type-2 cable and while it's rated for 32A, it doesn't have any pins in the bottom two holes on the connector, and therefore, the cable would only support 7kw, so will need to be swapped.

Confirming that Kia Ireland lied when they said they weren't providing granny chargers last July because they were "dangerous". Just as well I kept the granny charger when I traded in the Ioniq.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Confirming that Kia Ireland lied when they said they weren't providing granny chargers last July because they were "dangerous". Just as well I kept the granny charger when I traded in the Ioniq.

Dangerous to the bottom line!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    Dangerous to the bottom line!

The margin on any EV that they are selling is more than healthy, even if they gave you 10 granny cables with the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I have a very stupid question .. what's a granny cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I have a very stupid question .. what's a granny cable?

The cable used to plug it into the ordinary household 3-pin socket. Very slow charging, but useful for some in a bind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    The margin on any EV that they are selling is more than healthy...

Have we seen any figures on that?
    e.g. What margin do Nissan and Hyundai have on the Leaf and Ioniq? I havent seen those figures.

I know Tesla have decent margin but they are not a good yardstick for the other OEM's since Tesla are vertically integrated particularly for the battery.

If Hyundai could sell me an Ioniq for €25k back 3 years ago and now they are selling pretty much the same car with a battery that's not costing them significantly more than it did to buy mine for €34k, then there's your answer! Massive margins. Even in the absence of economies of scale...

If Hyundai could sell me an Ioniq for €25k back 3 years ago and now they are selling pretty much the same car with a battery that's not costing them significantly more than it did to buy mine for €34k, then there's your answer! Massive margins. Even in the absence of economies of scale...

Maybe, but maybe they werent making money at €25k? And there werent many sold at that price.
    And there have been clear signals that LG Chem have recently been gazumping the OEM's on the battery prices.

Your example is a good one but Im not sure it proves that there are massive margins.

KCross wrote: »
    Have we seen any figures on that?
    e.g. What margin do Nissan and Hyundai have on the Leaf and Ioniq? I havent seen those figures.

I know Tesla have decent margin but they are not a good yardstick for the other OEM's since Tesla are vertically integrated particularly for the battery.

I was told €2,400 on the Ioniq in 2018. Given to me by a salesman, so probably an outright lie. :D

Add €9k (minus VAT) to that for the Ioniq 38kWh and you are talking a very, very healthy margin indeed. Not even Porsche can pull that sort of margin off...

Add €9k (minus VAT) to that for the Ioniq 38kWh and you are talking a very, very healthy margin indeed. Not even Porsche can pull that sort of margin off...

You really think Hyundai are making over €10k margin on the Ioniq?.... zero chance of that.

Hyundai motor's operating profit margin for 2019 was 3.5%. How does that tally with "massive margins". I dont know what the breakdown is and what they make on EV's but to think they are making massive margins seems a tad optimistic to me.

• Advertisement

Regarding the 3 Phase cable, my dealer has said "If a higher output cable becomes available we will give you one". We might have a bit of a battle on our hands with this one.

The dealership is now closed for 4 weeks although the HQ will obviously remain open. Be interesting to see what others are told - strength in numbers lads !!!

Regarding the 3 Phase cable, my dealer has said "If a higher output cable becomes available we will give you one". We might have a bit of a battle on our hands with this one.

The dealership is now closed for 4 weeks although the HQ will obviously remain open. Be interesting to see what others are told - strength in numbers lads !!!

Fat lot of good that did with the granny chargers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Without naming the specific dealer (not sure if that's allowed or now) which county did you get yours in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Without naming the specific dealer (not sure if that's allowed or now) which county did you get yours in?
    Not hard to work it out, if you take a look at the photos that championc provided. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Championc have you driven it at night yet? Interested to hear if the headlights are still as bad as they were on the FC. Really like the car in black and was hoping to get into the dealer in the next few weeks to look at ordering one

I've told mine to chase Kia ireland about it too. Was also talking to another salesman that was at training (not the one I was dealing with, the one I dealt with was straight with me if he didn't know something) they knew it had a 3 phase charger but didn't realise that the SCP chargers are 3 phase. Pointed out the missing pins on the supplied cable.

Love the car.. electric cars are so quiet and to quote the other half "is it on?, Are you sure?" I think it has a better ride than the Sportage that I had.

Uvo is "coming soon". Got the spoke in that England have it.

Will be going back sometime soon to get the dashcam I had in the Sportage moved over (one fitted by Kia)

They have one more coming in next month but nothing at all after that, can't even order one/reserve one.

Screen is beautiful, best one I've seen on a car yet (I know it's not a Tesla but still).

Very easy to stray above 100km/h. I need to go back out to have another play in it.

Alun wrote: »

Where do you change the colours ? I went through the menus but I haven't managed to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Press the button on the right side of the steering wheel, next to the cruise control button, until you get to the User settings menu.

Then select Lights and then Ambient light colour. You can set the brightness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Where do you change the colours ? I went through the menus but I haven't managed to find it.

This is for first edition, but it may be the same

• Advertisement

The Eco green is pretty. All dressed up and nowhere to go, #Socialdistancing

Advertisement