Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I know. But it looks like Niro will be higher priced than Kona, but only by a little bit. I would be very surprised if a high spec Niro 64kWh will be over 2k (EUR or GBP) more than a similar high spec Kona 64kWh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hyundai would class themselves as a more premium brand. Maybe they are trying to differentiate by the battery....so Kona has better battery but smaller....Niro is bigger but less quality battery

Just pure guesswork here

Unless they f**k up like Nissan I would still go Niro

The Stonic is the sister car to the Kona, and there are rumored plans for a Stonic EV next year, that's where we will see Kia's cheaper than Kona model.

The Niro is built on the Ioniq platform, I presume Hyundai will come out with a CUV based on that too, or just use it for the next Tucson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

liamog wrote: »
    The Stonic is the sister car to the Kona, and there are rumored plans for a Stonic EV next year, that's where we will see Kia's cheaper than Kona model.

The Niro is built on the Ioniq platform, I presume Hyundai will come out with a CUV based on that too, or just use it for the next Tucson.

Hyundai have the Nexo Fuel Cell yoke.....that is Tucson size

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Another Kia Niro EV video review from Korea.

The aim was to try to drive the Niro for 500km on a single charge.

They drove it to a stop and it covered 446.8 km including about 7km in turtle mode. They started off with a 97% charge. 6.9km/kWh.

Not bad for a bigger car than the Kona, I'm sure Bjorn could hypermile it a lot further !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scBH4zlAIb8&pbjreload=10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anybody speak enough Korean or watched carefully enough to know what kind of speed they did?

I'm starting to fear that the range will be a fair bit less than the Kona. If they were driving conservatively and only got 450km/280m then that doesn't bode well for me.

Hopefully Bjorn will find somewhere to beat 70mph out if it for a real Phil-range-test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Even Bjorn only got the Kona to do 515 @ ~95km/hr. If these lads were doing the same it'd still be impressive.
    I keep reading there's a 10% drop in range on the Niro compared to the Kona.

icom wrote: »
    Another Kia Niro EV video review from Korea.

The aim was to try to drive the Niro for 500km on a single charge.

They drove it to a stop and it covered 446.8 km including about 7km in turtle mode. They started off with a 97% charge. 6.9km/kWh.

Not bad for a bigger car than the Kona, I'm sure Bjorn could hypermile it a lot further !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scBH4zlAIb8&pbjreload=10

I don't get the point of hypermile?

I would rather they got the car. Charged at side of motorway and then drove for 100km/h or 120km/h and see how far it goes

Who cares how far it goes it you stay behind truck and go slow or whatever they do to hypermile, nobody would ever other driving in real life like that

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

If you look at the video @7.27 it shows the dash on the first part of the trip:
    168.8km
    2:32 hours

so that gives an average speed of about 68kph and around 15.3kwh/100km. It looks like they did spend a lot of time in traffic and timer was probably ticking so I'm guessing higher averages are possible so similar efficiency.

At a guess I'd say you're looking at doing around 90 to reach distances greater than 400km. Kia state a range of about 380km (390 or so for the Kona) so at 120 you're probably in or around 300km which is pretty good in an Irish context. (Especially for those of us Dublin based!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ha, more important to you to make Manchester than to make Dingle.
    Great that any part of the island is within reach now. This is well past my old measure of Cork-Dublin without charging. Totally mainstream, most would be nuts now to buy new ICE esp diesel.

• Advertisement

then drove for 100km/h or 120km/h and see how far it goes

First we had NEDC then we had EPA, now we have WLTP but hopefully in a few years time the world will have adopted SWF :cool:

How far does the car go at 120km/h GPS speed. It really is all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

just talked with local dealer about electric niro. hes pricing it at 45k before vrt & seai grant.... so 32,5k. now bigger issue is that its described as 1.6 phev petrol plugin. So im assuming this is still the hybrid rather than full ev. I asked at the time was it the 64kw battery... dealer said (after quick look of panic) it must be, only coming in one variant.

Very disappointed with sales folks on this. At least nissan sales people know what the leaf is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

daheff wrote: »
    just talked with local dealer about electric niro. hes pricing it at 45k before vrt & seai grant.... so 32,5k. now bigger issue is that its described as 1.6 phev petrol plugin. So im assuming this is still the hybrid rather than full ev. I asked at the time was it the 64kw battery... dealer said (after quick look of panic) it must be, only coming in one variant.

Very disappointed with sales folks on this. At least nissan sales people know what the leaf is all about.

Sounds like he hasn't a clue. There is a Niro PHEV for sale with about 12 months. He is likely looking at that.

I doubt he has any data on the BEV version yet. Responses I've got on the Niro BEV, a few weeks ago, were that prices would be confirmed in Oct, demo versions available in Nov with customer deliveries for 191 (not sure if thats Jan or not, but in 191).

Most Nissan dealers hadn't a bloody clue about the Leaf until the Leaf 2 came out, still go in now and ask a question and you get a lot of blanks looks.....

Go into VW and ask about the eGolf and most don't even know VW sell electric cars...

The sales men in Ireland have spent years selling daysel without even having to know what colour the car is let alone what engine is in it....

KCross wrote: »
    Sounds like he hasn't a clue. There is a Niro PHEV for sale with about 12 months. He is likely looking at that.

I doubt he has any data on the BEV version yet. Responses I've got on the Niro BEV, a few weeks ago, were that prices would be confirmed in Oct, demo versions available in Nov with customer deliveries for 191 (not sure if thats Jan or not, but in 191).
    he did mention oct/nov as having stock again though

he did mention oct/nov as having stock again though

It will be launched at Paris Motor Show in October, I would doubt ireland will be getting our hands on it very quickly. Based on how the "rollout" of the Kona is going so far.....looks like Ireland seems to be bottom of the pile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I came across a Niro PHEV parked next to a Leaf today.

I know the Niro is only a crossover and not a full SUV, but I was still surprised at how small it looked ;(

Niro_Next_To_Leaf.jpg

459626.jpg

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I came across a Niro PHEV parked next to a Leaf today.

I know the Niro is only a crossover and not a full SUV, but I was still surprised at how small it looked ;(

the Leaf is not small....just awful looking :P

The Leaf 2 is a lot better but has issues I cannot overlook...

The extra bit of height in the Kona will make a real difference when putting kids in & out

what issues?

I'm starting to lose patience waiting for the Niro, so might adjust my buying to the Leaf or Hyundai Kona.....so anything you can divulge on the Leaf is of interest.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The Niro EV won't hit Ireland until the 191 reg. The dealer was just confusing the EV with the plug-in hybrid.

You can expect the Niro EV to be priced about €2-3k more than the Kona BEV when it does arrive.

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »
    You can expect the Niro EV to be priced about €2-3k more than the Kona BEV when it does arrive.

What do you base that on, cros13?

From the South Korea prices, the base 64kWh Niro seemed only 3% more than 64kWh Kona, that would have list prices at say €35k and €36k respectively, so just a grand the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

what issues?

I'm starting to lose patience waiting for the Niro, so might adjust my buying to the Leaf or Hyundai Kona.....so anything you can divulge on the Leaf is of interest.thanks

#rapidgate

Not a big issue for most, although it may well affect you in the future if resale values are affected by the problem.

I see the obsolete CHAdeMO charging as a far bigger issue than #rapidgate. Samih has proven that if you plan it wisely and take your time, that you can drive long distances and keep #rapidgate reasonably at bay. Even in summer.

You can't do anything about arriving in your L40 with three other L40s ahead of you at a public charger all needing 90 minutes of a charge though. Mightn't have happened yet in Ireland, but it sure will with the numbers they are selling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

the Leaf is not small....just awful looking :P

The extra bit of height in the Kona will make a real difference when putting kids in & out

Agree with you the Leaf is rather an ugly duckling and while it might not be small compared to a Kona it's still quite tight in the back for anything beyond 3 young teenagers.

I've seen a few Niro phevs in the flesh and they really are a plain Jane design. However the slab sided boxy 1980s hatchback styling maximizes the internal dimensions of the car which gives it a bit of an advantage over the more sculpted Kona. As said before I don't get the attraction to this style of car but, all style (Maybe not so much the Niro!) over function.

what issues?

Leaf 24kWh Gen 1 - Dodgy battery
    Leaf 24kWh Gen 1.5 - dodgy axle
    Leaf 30kWh Gen 1.5 - dodgy axle and battery
    Leaf 2 40kWh - #rapidgate and potentially dodgy battery(too early to tell)

creedp wrote: »
    Agree with you the Leaf is rather an ugly duckling and while it might not be small compared to a Kona it's still quite tight in the back for anything beyond 3 young teenagers.

I've seen a few Niro phevs in the flesh and they really are a plain Jane design. However the slab sided boxy 1980s hatchback styling maximizes the internal dimensions of the car which gives it a bit of an advantage over the more sculpted Kona. As said before I don't get the attraction to this style of car but, all style (Maybe not so much the Niro!) over function.

The huge benefit of the Kona and Niro is a 64kWh battery stuck into it :-)

Apart from that. The Kona is more of the new fad Compact SUVCrossover. The Niro is similar to the Crossover range that has become hugely popular.

The benefit I see to the Crossover is the height. I have 3 young kids and bending in & out of eGolf soon starts to hit the back. The Crossover althoughtnot any bigger to the Golf gets rid of that issue.....it is just a lot easier with young kids

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

DrPhilG wrote: »
    #rapidgate

Not a big issue for most, although it may well affect you in the future if resale values are affected by the problem.

Also, don't go outside in case you get knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    I see the obsolete CHAdeMO charging as a far bigger issue than #rapidgate.

Dont know why you think its obsolete. It might not be the preferred standard by the EU but its far from obsolete or being phased out in any way.

Its being expanded into China (biggest EV market in the world) and obviously its home country Japan and its being actively worked as a standard for 350kW rates the same as CCS is. It already supports Vehicle2Grid tech (which CCS doesn't).

Apart from Ionity which will be CCS only because its being sponsored by CCS, you'd want to be mad to install a rapid in Ireland without ChaDemo support in the medium term as the majority of EV's are, and will continue to be, ChaDeMo for some time yet. The Leaf is selling strong.

Obsolete isn't the right word to use. I wouldn't have any worries about buying a ChaDeMo based car... rapidgate and possibly battery degradation would worry me a lot more for the new Leaf.... but hey this is a Niro thread so sorry for OT! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

unkel wrote: »
    What do you base that on, cros13?

From the South Korea prices, the base 64kWh Niro seemed only 3% more than 64kWh Kona, that would have list prices at say €35k and €36k respectively, so just a grand the difference?

Expected norwegian pricing from pre-orders. It may be just that the pre-order Niro has more equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

KCross wrote: »
    Dont know why you think its obsolete. It might not be the preferred standard by the EU but its far from obsolete or being phased out in any way.

Let's put it the following way: despite not being obsolete, I would not like to use Japanese electrical equipment in Europe. Not only they have different voltage, but also different plug.

And the same goes to ChaDeMo. It is not obsolete worldwide, but will be pain to use here.

Advertisement