Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

championc wrote: »
    Complete bullsh1t. Kia Ireland confirmed it to me via Twitter DM just after lockdown and sure enough, the cable was waiting for me in the dealers when they re-opened. I had raised it with the salesman too the day after I collected the car

Did your dealer even know the car came with an 11kw charger ? Mine did so he accepted the fact that s single phase cable would be restricting charging to 7kw, but basically didn't know if it would be a free upgrade (which it turned out it was)
    Yes, I contacted Kia Ireland in a similar fashion yesterday, and they're right on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I'm not sure if my dealership knew about it - I suspect they didn't as they've been very upfront about everything throughout the process. I had bought the FE and got the SE so I suspect they weren't aware of the charging cable (or assumed it was in stock). When I arrived at the dealership I had never sat in, nor had seen, an actual e-Niro (beyond bucket loads of videos on YouTube) so we were more focused on how to drive it :-D I was like an OAP crawling out of the dealership

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

When I arrived at the dealership I had never sat in, nor had seen, an actual e-Niro (beyond bucket loads of videos on YouTube)

I'm the same :)

My 5k SEAI grant just came through cleared. 1 week and 2 days. Super fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I almost feel silly posting this, but here goes ...

Is anybody else having difficulty parking their Niro straight? It's weird, but for some reason I always end up parked angled slightly to the right. I don't know if it's down to the slight upward curve of the doors, or the bulbous nature of the bonnet making it difficult to find a reference point, but I've never had any difficulty with any other car I've owned.

Alun wrote: »
    I almost feel silly posting this, but here goes ...

Is anybody else having difficulty parking their Niro straight? It's weird, but for some reason I always end up parked angled slightly to the right. I don't know if it's down to the slight upward curve of the doors, or the bulbous nature of the bonnet making it difficult to find a reference point, but I've never had any difficulty with any other car I've owned.

I've not noticed but haven't had much opportunity to drive it, today I was in town though and hadn't any challenges with it.

• Advertisement

So we've had our eNiro for a little over a week so far (deposit start of January, and delayed delivery because of 'the thing') , and gotta say we have zero regrets (other than buying it during a time when we're not supposed to do any unnecessary trips). Got the gunmetal grey, which is probably what we'd have gone with, if we'd had the choice. Though it came with the two phase cable, Kia were on the ball, and we had the three phase cable in our hands the following afternoon.

Lane Follow Assist - Just won't work for 60-70% of the roads we travel, though the smart cruise control is nice (auto brake and accelerate). I definitely find it easier to stick to the speed limit in 50km/hour zones. As someone previously pointed out, would've been a better investment in electronic seat controls. Wireless phone charging is great, and I can't see myself using Android Auto, as I can auto-play Spotify from my phone (will stick an RFID tag in the phone charging port to auto-enable Bluetooth on the phone and launch Spotify). The UVO app works well, and I've used it to figure out where the car is, lock it when I left it unlocked (carrying the shopping), it alerted us when the boot was not fully closed and the engine was left on for 15 minutes. It's pretty simple, horrible UI, but works well.

The tyre pressure sensor was providing warnings on all four wheels for the first few days, until I increased the tyre pressure to 37/38, which seems a little high (that should correspond to the fully-laden weight), so seems a little over-sensitive. Front parking camera would've been nice.

Plan was to buy a car we'd be happy to keep for 8-10 years, and certainly for now (along with the 7 year warranty), it seems like we made a really good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Girl 2011

Hi was wondering how did you arrange to get phase 3 plug, as wondering if I need contact our dealer (we got car in January) and what to say to them, is there reason we should have phase three plug? Also what is the benefit of phase three plug and do you have picture?

Girl 2011 wrote: »
    Hi was wondering how did you arrange to get phase 3 plug, as wondering if I need contact our dealer (we got car in January) and what to say to them, is there reason we should have phase three plug? Also what is the benefit of phase three plug and do you have picture?

See https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113573725&postcount=2536, they should it for you already. Just call them and ask I'd say.

Girl 2011 wrote: »

Hi Girl 2011, if you picked up your eNiro in January, it was likely the FE (pre-2020), rather than the SE (2020+), which has a higher charging capability (11kw), and benefits from the three phase charging cable. Does your eNiro have the 7" infotainment screen or the 10.5" screen?

They're already talking about MY21 in the UK - it can be ordered already:
    Screenshot_20200604-221956.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I put nearly 130000km on my Ioniq in just over 3 years. I love it but it could do with bigger range and a bigger boot. That's the long and short of it.

Come on over the ioniq thread. We'd love to hear how you're getting on after 130k km. Any issues? Battery/range degradation over 130k? Servicing (pads etc.)

You trading in or selling private?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

xboxdad wrote: »
    They're already talking about MY21 in the UK - it can be ordered already:
    Screenshot_20200604-221956.jpg

Maybe we will get a Third Edition with led headlights and a heat pump at last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Just back from a test drive in the e-Niro. Wow!!!! Stunning car to drive. So smooth and easy to handle. I want one now! :-)

My OH keeps asking why we can't go for the hybrid, as she's nervous about running out of power. And it's cheaper to buy. Any major advantage of getting electric over hybrid, so I can persuade her?

The model I looked at is apparently the latest version so dealer mentioned it came with 11kw charger. Is there anything else I should look out for?

chewed wrote: »
    Any major advantage of getting electric over hybrid, so I can persuade her?

A few of my neighbors and a few friends living elsewhere in/around Dublin got their catalytic converters stolen from their hybrids in the past few months.
    One of them got the replacement stolen too.
    Now this costs a few hundred to 1k each time out of your pocket if you don't want your insurance premium go through the roof. (I read in some UK article recently that insurance premiums can go up by as much as 2k GBP a year for ppl who end up getting their converters stolen every now and then)
    For me a hybrid is very expensive to run therefore.
    I'm wondering how can they keep selling them even without some serious redesign to this. (it literally takes minutes to remove and it's worth a lot for the thief)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

My OH keeps asking why we can't go for the hybrid, as she's nervous about running out of power. And it's cheaper to buy. Any major advantage of getting electric over hybrid, so I can persuade her

The first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes of this video should do the trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qyza5APLbI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

A few of my neighbors and a few friends living elsewhere in/around Dublin got their catalytic converters stolen from their hybrids in the past few months.
    One of them got the replacement stolen too.
    Now this costs a few hundred to 1k each time out of your pocket if you don't want your insurance premium go through the roof. (I read in some UK article recently that insurance premiums can go up by as much as 2k GBP a year for ppl who end up getting their converters stolen every now and then)
    For me a hybrid is very expensive to run therefore.
    I'm wondering how can they keep selling them even without some serious redesign to this. (it literally takes minutes to remove and it's worth a lot for the thief)

That just might work! Cheers. yes I have heard of this problem as well.

I'm a bit confused about specs and prices. the car I looked at today is down at €41,495, but I see it has 7" screen listed. (see below). But when I go onto the Kia site, the price is down as €40,095 and lists a 10" screen (see PDF).

Am I missing something? Or is the dealer bull****ing about it being the latest model?

49974170487_5ab9dc3c43_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

The newer model has the 10 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

How much cheaper is the hybrid?

11kW AC charging is good, only one I know thats better is Tesla

The hybrid will charge at 3.7 kW and only do 50km or so then start using petrol.

The advantages or disadvantages are up to you, I have a plug in Mitsubishi, my only car, I could probably live with an EV but cost,size,range and depending on a charger network are the reasons I went with the outlander.

Best of luck.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My OH keeps asking why we can't go for the hybrid, as she's nervous about running out of power. And it's cheaper to buy. Any major advantage of getting electric over hybrid, so I can persuade her?
    ?

The savings during ownership. Cheaper tax, much cheaper fuel, cheaper servicing.

As for running out of power, how often does your OH drive over 350km without stopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Range anxiety is eliminated with a 64 kWh battery.
    You will only need public charging on long journeys.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Range anxiety is eliminated with a 64 kWh battery.
    You will only need public charging on long journeys.

Its assuming you know, your going on a long journey, you have it charged, you then assume that the charger is working or no one is there before you.

Then assume your wife will be happy with the time spent with her waiting for the car to charge. probably won't be that long, just 20/30 minutes depending on the remaining journey,

Plug in list price is around 33 000 the e niro is 6500 euro more. quick google search.

Assume some more, petrol at 1.40 and 5 litres per 100 km (just easy figures for me). you can buy 93 000 km worth of petrol or at 10 litres per 100 km its 46 000 km

As for the catalytic converters, I tried to find the location of it on the niro some pictures show it under the car others near the engine so ask on that, if its near the engine it will not be easy to steal and they will go after the toyota hybrids.

As for the 350 km without stopping I imagine very few do it, but how many have to stop every 350 km and charge.

Its up to you OP, there is good and bad with both, but the rose tinted glass view needs to be checked against whats real.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Just back from a test drive in the e-Niro. Wow!!!! Stunning car to drive. So smooth and easy to handle. I want one now! :-)

The model I looked at is apparently the latest version so dealer mentioned it came with 11kw charger. Is there anything else I should look out for?

Are you aware that the Hybrid is not as powerful ? Not by a long shot.

In my opinion, hybrids are a fudge. You'll spend your life plugging it in, trying to do zero petrol. But with an engine, it will still need servicing and will still be as prone to breakdowns.

As for range, you'll get to almost anywhere in Ireland on a full charge and maybe most of the way back too.

Either go the full BEV route, or don't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

That just might work! Cheers. yes I have heard of this problem as well.

I'm a bit confused about specs and prices. the car I looked at today is down at €41,495, but I see it has 7" screen listed. (see below). But when I go onto the Kia site, the price is down as €40,095 and lists a 10" screen (see PDF).

Am I missing something? Or is the dealer bull****ing about it being the latest model?

49974170487_5ab9dc3c43_z.jpg

The new model has the 10.25" Infotainment screen and a 7" instrument cluster screen

Are you aware that the Hybrid is not as powerful ? Not by a long shot.

In my opinion, hybrids are a fudge. You'll spend your life plugging it in, trying to do zero petrol. But with an engine, it will still need servicing and will still be as prone to breakdowns.

As for range, you'll get to almost anywhere in Ireland on a full charge and maybe most of the way back too.

Some great help there, as if it took 45 minutes for to plug it in like a BEV waiting at a rapid to charge.

I am driving for 27 years never had a breakdown.

True about range, but its assuming its fully charged and to do so you have to plug it in but lets not go there.

The poster asked about advantages its important to know some disadvantages as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'll just give my experience here.

I've had my e-Niro for a smidge under a year. I've done many 500+km drives with zero range anxiety. One stop to replenish body and car, it was 3 stops in the Ioniq on the same journey, so the e-Niro is perfect for me.

Mine is the first edition with the smaller screen. I might change it at the start of next year, if there's something to attract me out of it. Maybe if there was a Niro available with LED headlights, the bigger screen, better choice of colour and 3 phase charging I might go that way.

I wouldn't even think of going hybrid. Not only is it unnecessary to use fossil fuel, it's something we should all be getting away from.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Depends on where you start, I'm in one of the corners! But would have no problem getting to Dublin in a single charge, would need to charge some to get home.

Whatever route I take would pass multiple fast chargers, ESB, easygo, and even ionity.

Haven't been on a long run in mine yet but the other half has done a 300ish km run for work and arrived home in the high 30's% battery (started at 100)

Currently using on average 17.1 kwh/100km.

The plug-in I think has a smaller boot compared to the ev, also uses the petrol engine for heat, (and less power too)

Have nearly 5000km up on ours already, and only been near a public fast charger once.. just to see what it is like.

I must sign up for the toll pass but I doubt that I'll be crossing any tolls this year.

graememk wrote: »
    I must sign up for the toll pass

Can you elaborate on this please? I've got a video/camera account on eFlow. Is that not what I need with an e-Niro? Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Can you elaborate on this please? I've got a video/camera account on eFlow. Is that not what I need with an e-Niro? Thanks.

Ev's get discount on all tolls, but you need a tag account with a provider. The amount of discount varies due to time of day etc.

the ones I know off the top of my head is eflow and tolltag.ie (park magic)

Eflows one is the standard tag with a monthly charge, but there are others that have a pay as you go system for the tag and then they charge a fee (tolltag.ie is 10%) on each toll collected, and that's on the actual toll not the discounted rate.

Ive heard good things on tolltag.ie on this forum

you can do the math yourself depending on how often you need to pay the toll which is best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You need to use one of the tags to avail of the EV discount.

• Advertisement

graememk wrote: »
    Ev's get discount on all tolls, but you need a tag account with a provider. The amount of discount varies due to time of day etc.

the ones I know off the top of my head is eflow and tolltag.ie (park magic)

Eflows one is the standard tag with a monthly charge, but there are others that have a pay as you go system for the tag and then they charge a fee (tolltag.ie is 10%) on each toll collected, and that's on the actual toll not the discounted rate.

Ive heard good things on tolltag.ie on this forum

you can do the math yourself depending on how often you need to pay the toll which is best for you.

Thank you! Another topic to dig into :)

Advertisement