Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

On thing that seriously aggravates me about the Kia electrics/Kona etc is the "creep" when you lift off the break, coming from the i3 this is really horrible, when I want to go forward I press the accelerator. There should be an option to disable it. This came from the traditional automatic ICE, manufacturers felt they should give it a ICE AUto feel ? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

On thing that seriously aggravates me about the Kia electrics/Kona etc is the "creep" when you lift off the break, coming from the i3 this is really horrible, when I want to go forward I press the accelerator. There should be an option to disable it. This came from the traditional automatic ICE, manufacturers felt they should give it a ICE AUto feel ? lol

This was a big surprise to me too, but my wife managed it straight away. She just said it's the same in all the US cars, so all fine :)
    (BTW the R/N/D/P stuff on the dial also mimics the traditional automatic transmission paradigm it appears so it all adds up naturally in my head now)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Have you tried auto hold? I put that that on every time I start the car now, pity it can't be set to tun on automatically?

xboxdad wrote: »
    This was a big surprise to me too, but my wife managed it straight away. She just said it's the same in all the US cars, so all fine :)
    (BTW the R/N/D/P stuff on the dial also mimics the traditional automatic transmission paradigm it appears so it all adds up naturally in my head now)

It just bugs the crap out of me, it's so unnatural for the car to move when you lift off the brake at least it is to me and the creep is quite strong too and in crawling traffic or very slow manoeuvres it's quite frustrating and means continuous pressing of the brake, no it shouldn't be like this. Drive the i3 and you see the difference immediately and you can turn this off in Teslas so why does Kia think this is a good idea and not give someone the means to turn it off ?

jspuds wrote: »
    Have you tried auto hold? I put that that on every time I start the car now, pity it can't be set to tun on automatically?

No, I didn't try this, it wouldn't work when in crawling traffic anyway or slow manoeuvres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

On thing that seriously aggravates me about the Kia electrics/Kona etc is the "creep" when you lift off the brake

You need to click on the "Auto Hold" which is on the centre console, just above the handbrake button.

Also, with Auto Hold turned on, the handbrake will be automatically applied when you turn the car off. I think the P Parking position just locks the brakes with the calipers.

The dealers confirmed that it cannot be triggered on by default :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I've been driving automatics for years and the creep feels natural to me at this stage. I use auto hold around town when going from light to light, but not in creeping traffic. It's so easy to just lift your foot off the brake pedal and drift forward with the traffic. Using the creep when moving slowly -like parking- is much better than jumping from brake to throttle and back.

If you use the left paddle on the steering wheel to stop the car, it doesn't creep.

The P doesn't use the brakes. It works and acts the same as any automatic: a pawl is engaged in the gearbox and locks the drive.

I'm having a hard time using heating. I set it to 18'C (it's 13"C outside) and it's either blowing cold air from the street or way too hot air. It doesn't seem to be mixing hot/cold air properly or at all.

I only enabled the "heat" option, didn't enable "a/c".
    I'm not even sure that would "a/c" do differently than "heat" when you want heating.

Is there a better way to set this up so that it's not alternating between very cold and very hot air?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I'm having a hard time using heating. I set it to 18'C (it's 13"C outside) and it's either blowing cold air from the street or way too hot air. It doesn't seem to be mixing hot/cold air properly or at all.

I only enabled the "heat" option, didn't enable "a/c".
    I'm not even sure that would "a/c" do differently than "heat" when you want heating.

Is there a better way to set this up so that it's not alternating between very cold and very hot air?

I've not noticed this .... have you checked if it's any different when not in Eco mode?

I've not noticed this .... have you checked if it's any different when not in Eco mode?

No, I only drive in eco. Will try switching modes so. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No, I only drive in eco.

Why on earth would you do that? Even if you pay for all electricity for your car yourself, this will save you no more than a few cents per day.

unkel wrote: »
    Why on earth would you do that? Even if you pay for all electricity for your car yourself, this will save you no more than a few cents per day.

I don't know, it was on Eco by default and I haven't noticed anything that made me want to change that. It accelerates as crazy, heats seats fast, heats steering wheel fast. (Tried sports mode once, but felt the same sort of acceleration, so didn't think it was interesting.)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

I don't know, it was on Eco by default and I haven't noticed anything that made me want to change that. It accelerates as crazy, heats seats fast, heats steering wheel fast. (Tried sports mode once, but felt the same sort of acceleration, so didn't think it was interesting.)

Sport mode is very interesting ! :)

icom wrote: »
    Sport mode is very interesting ! :)

My motorbike does 0-100 in 4 seconds which is mediocre for a motorbike, but I'm well used to acceleration. Still, the acceleration in Eco mode impresses me every time - for a car of this size/weight.
    Maybe I should have another look at sports mode, really didn't notice anything very different from Eco mode there so far.
    ...but this binary cold/hot air heating system is something that I hope will operate better in another modes..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only reason EVs have eco modes comes from the early days when batteries were small and ranges were tiny. You could sometimes just about make it to your destination only if you drove Miss Daisy and switched off all mod cons like heat or even the radio :D

My motorbike does 0-100 in 4 seconds which is mediocre for a motorbike, but I'm well used to acceleration. Still, the acceleration in Eco mode impresses me every time - for a car of this size/weight.
    Maybe I should have another look at sports mode, really didn't notice anything very different from Eco mode there so far.
    ...but this binary cold/hot air heating system is something that I hope will operate better in another modes..

I notice a HUGE difference between the three driving modes. Eco will only accelerate with any pace if you floor the throttle. Sport mode is very different!

Have you tried the auto function in the heating control. Then just set the heat you want and let the system handle it?

I notice a HUGE difference between the three driving modes. Eco will only accelerate with any pace if you floor the throttle. Sport mode is very different!

Have you tried the auto function in the heating control. Then just set the heat you want and let the system handle it?

I always just tried flooring it in both modes. Tried sports mode for about 30 seconds while already driving at 70-80km/h and just floored it to see how strong it accelerates. Switched back to Eco, did the same, was similar. So maybe the difference comes out in a different situation/test. Will try again when I'll have nothing else to research :)

I'll look up auto mode on the heating control and try it, thank you.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I always just tried flooring it in both modes. Tried sports mode for about 30 seconds while already driving at 70-80km/h and just floored it to see how strong it accelerates. Switched back to Eco, did the same, was similar. So maybe the difference comes out in a different situation/test. Will try again when I'll have nothing else to research :)

I'll look up auto mode on the heating control and try it, thank you.

I know in my ioniq "flooring it" in any mode (and I mean putting my foot through the floor) will give max power. Under normal depression of the accelerator the modes a quite different (sport mode is responsive and torquey, normal is a bit laggy/gentler), but when the accelerator is about 90% pushed down, it feels like there's a notch you've to push though to get 100%. In any mode, pushing past this "notch" (flooring it) gives 100% power and it feels like sport mode. I've used/needed it once, when pulling onto a roundabout with an equally eager driver pulling on via the road to my right.

Perhaps this is the comparison you're experiencing. If you're not flooring it, you should feel the throttle in sport mode much more responsive.

I know in my ioniq "flooring it" in any mode (and I mean putting my foot through the floor) will give max power. Under normal depression of the accelerator the modes a quite different (sport mode is responsive and torquey, normal is a bit laggy/gentler), but when the accelerator is about 90% pushed down, it feels like there's a notch you've to push though to get 100%. In any mode, pushing past this "notch" (flooring it) gives 100% power and it feels like sport mode. I've used/needed it once, when pulling onto a roundabout with an equally eager driver pulling on via the road to my right.

Perhaps this is the comparison you're experiencing. If you're not flooring it, you should feel the throttle in sport mode much more responsive.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.
    Yes, that must be it. I mainly wanted showing the difference to my son in the passenger seat. If it only gets tighter in terms of response, that's the reason it wasn't demoable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I am much the same I’ve only ever driven in Eco mode. The performance an Eco mode is suitably impressive and I thought that it actually did make a difference to the battery but never actually tested it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I just went out to the local shops this morning and turned on Sport mode. It was just absolute instantaneous response verses a fractional delay and more gradual addition of power

Maybe you won't see it at 80kmh but you certainly do sub 50kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Just put a deposit down on a new e-Niro. Very excited. :D

chewed wrote: »
    Just put a deposit down on a new e-Niro. Very excited. :D

Available from stock, or do you have to wait a while ?

icom wrote: »
    Available from stock, or do you have to wait a while ?

Available from stock. Black colour. Just waiting a couple of weeks....hopefully.

chewed wrote: »
    Available from stock. Black colour. Just waiting a couple of weeks....hopefully.

Very nice, you're going to love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. Looking for advice...What would be a good price for a straight purchase of an E Niro? Thanks.

Bif wrote: »
    Folks. Looking for advice...What would be a good price for a straight purchase of an E Niro? Thanks.

They won't budge on the price because they're flying out and they can't get them fast enough.

Bif wrote: »

I think the best you can do is haggle stuff in. Service pack, boot liner, mud flaps, ceramic coating... etc are all fair game. :D

I think the best you can do is haggle stuff in. Service pack, boot liner, mud flaps, ceramic coating... etc are all fair game. :D

If any of you guys manage to get (buy even) a service pack, please share here if at all possible. My dealer said he can't even price it yet, so N/A.

• Advertisement

While I'm waiting for my car, is there anything I can be doing to get prepared? E.g. Signing up to charging network providers?

Advertisement