Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

grogi wrote: »
    Let's put it the following way: despite not being obsolete, I would not like to use Japanese electrical equipment in Europe. Not only they have different voltage, but also different plug.

Sony?
    Hitachi?
    Panasonic?
    Sharp?
    Toshiba?
    Casio?
    Seiko?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Let's put it the following way: despite not being obsolete, I would not like to use Japanese electrical equipment in Europe. Not only they have different voltage, but also different plug.

And the same goes to ChaDeMo. It is not obsolete worldwide, but will be pain to use here.

Thats a strange response I have to say grogi. It's already being extensively used here in every leaf on the road. Whats the issue/pain with it today?

ChaDeMo vs CCS is not a lot different to the fact that we have 3-pin square plugs here and they have round 2-pin in Europe and flat 2-pin in the US etc.... its just a standard but they all deliver electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Soarer wrote: »
    Sony?
    Hitachi?
    Panasonic?
    Sharp?
    Toshiba?
    Casio?
    Seiko?

Don't play dumb - you know exactly what I mean.
    KCross wrote: »
    Thats a strange response I have to say grogi. It's already being extensively used here in every leaf on the road. Whats the issue/pain with it today?

There will be absolutely no focus on extending ChaDeMo network. It might get extended as a side effect of building CCS, but I would not bank on it.

There will be absolutely no focus on extending ChaDeMo network. It might get extended as a side effect of building CCS, but I would not bank on it.

With the number 1 selling EV for the next few years likely to be ChaDeMo? Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion but I cant see why an operator would alienate ChaDeMo for the sake of having an extra cable on the rapid.

I still don't understand your comment about Japanese electrical equipment in Europe! :)

We all know that the Kona and Niro will be relatively small numbers. VW are 3yrs+ from delivering anything meaningful in numbers. Tesla has its own network. What else is there?

Leaf will sell in the thousands in that timeframe. It doesn't have to be a case of one or the other. Both can happily exist side by side. It would be great if everything was CCS but its not but I'm just countering the somewhat scare tactics that ChaDeMo is dead/obsolete and by inference that the Leaf is a dodgy car to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This is gone off track, I think the point might be is that other manufacturers are investing in networks or companies that run network. None of those are for chademo.

Nissan/etc seem to hope that government/private companies will install the charge points to cater for their cars. This might work in UK. Unfortunately in Ireland it seems to be the opposite. The Government seem to be blocking private companies and hoping that large corporate sponsored charging network will resolve the issue(Ionity, Tesla)

Not sure about 3 year+ on VW? they have already kicked off the ad campaign for ID range on facebook. Timelines seem to be running correct for full launch in 2020....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't play dumb - you know exactly what I mean.

Is that not par for the course around here?!

Soarer wrote: »
    Is that not par for the course around here?!

Works for me :P

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This is gone off track,

Indeed, I'll try to stop after this one! :)
    I think the point might be is that other manufacturers are investing in networks or companies that run network. None of those are for chademo.

Im only aware of three networks so far.... eCars, Tesla, Ionity.
    Tesla is Tesla only and likely to stay that way.
    Ionity is CCS only and no sod turned yet but imminent.
    eCars is CCS and ChaDeMo.

No reason to believe that the eCars network as it expands (per their recent eTenders) won't continue to support ChaDeMo. Why wouldn't it?

btw, the ESB eTender was for 50kW max rapids so more of the same of what they already have basically, so I'd say ChaDeMo is quite likely to be part of that expansion and nothing to the contrary was mentioned at the LEV Taskforce meeting either and they were told by many that the rapids should be multi-headed.... they were told to use 100kW too but how and ever!

Not sure about 3 year+ on VW? they have already kicked off the ad campaign for ID range on facebook. Timelines seem to be running correct for full launch in 2020....

lol! VW have an ad campaign running ever since diesel gate. Every second article these days is about something brilliant VW are doing in the EV space but nothing on the ground actually happening.

They might deliver something for 2020 but I think they had targeted 2022 for the bigger numbers. I don't believe anything VW say until they put wheels on the ground, so I think I won't be too far off with 3+yrs for serious numbers of VW EV's in Ireland.

.... eCars, Tesla, Ionity.
    Tesla is Tesla only and likely to stay that way.
    Ionity is CCS only and no sod turned yet but imminent.
    eCars is CCS and ChaDeMo.

eCars is government run and to be honest nobody should be waitig for them to create a proper network. 7-8 years they are at it and its useless. Nothing to suggest in the next 7-8 years it will get any better.....

The 2 other networks, which have the backing of major car manufacturer do not support chademo.

Please note I am not saying chademois going to die anytime soon....I do think Nissan need to invest in a private network...

If Ionity was up and running in next 6 months and I had option of chademo v ccs..both the exact same cost, I wouldn't touch the chademo if I only had ecars as a network option

eCars is government run and to be honest nobody should be waitig for them to create a proper network. 7-8 years they are at it and its useless. Nothing to suggest in the next 7-8 years it will get any better.....

The 2 other networks, which have the backing of major car manufacturer do not support chademo.

Please note I am not saying chademois going to die anytime soon....I do think Nissan need to invest in a private network...

If Ionity was up and running in next 6 months and I had option of chademo v ccs..both the exact same cost, I wouldn't touch the chademo if I only had ecars as a network option

No disagreement on any of that other than the eCars expansion. Its hard to know what they will do. They have funding and a tender out. Lets see what happens.

• Advertisement

No disagreement on any of that other than the eCars expansion. Its hard to know what they will do. They have funding and a tender out. Lets see what happens.

Unless they decide to install multiple fast chargers at the same location it will be more money wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Unless they decide to install multiple fast chargers at the same location it will be more money wasted.

This is exactly it. I already see 3 or 4 EVs at the Lucan FCP regularly. Imagine if you needed a charge and there were 3 L40s in front of you. I don't want to sound like a spoilsport and it is great that the L40 are selling in big numbers, but this is a very likely scenario at this charger within a year.

And charging for charging will make very little difference here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

unkel wrote: »
    This is exactly it. I already see 3 or 4 EVs at the Lucan FCP regularly. Imagine if you needed a charge and there were 3 L40s in front of you. I don't want to sound like a spoilsport and it is great that the L40 are selling in big numbers, but this is a very likely scenario at this charger within a year.

And charging for charging will make very little difference here...

The reason you most likely see 3 or 4 EVs waiting to charge is because the lack of charging for charging. In 5 weeks of driving I had to wait once 10 minutes for a Norwegian i3 at a charger in Sweden and twice somebody had to wait 10 minutes for us to finish charging enough to go on the next charger. Most of the time we had all the installed chargers for us throughout the trip as the locals didn't permanentely hog them for free juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I contacted two Kia garages a week ago enquiring about a test drive of the Niro PHEV and I've gotten no reply!

They don't seem to eager to sell them anyway, I would have thought they'd be quite enough in August!

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I contacted two Kia garages a week ago enquiring about a test drive of the Niro PHEV and I've gotten no reply!

They don't seem to eager to sell them anyway, I would have thought they'd be quite enough in August!

How you contact? most main dealers seem to ignore emails from what I can see

I went into garage and talked to boss, he gave me the salesman email address to contact and asked me to come back to me if I didn't get any further :P

samih wrote: »
    The reason you most likely see 3 or 4 EVs waiting to charge is because the lack of charging for charging.

Now, yes. But the numbers the L40 is selling in will no doubt put enormous pressure on the ESB public charging network unless they start upping it, for starters making the 10 busiest points at least double chargers in the next 6 months and bring in charging for charging. I can see neither of this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

So kona prices are out. circa 37,5k after grants. i'd expect the Niro to be 38-40 range.

BigAl81 wrote: »

was talking to 2 around me and was told oct/nov for next batch to come out. was quoted 40k before grants

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Extensive review of the Niro EV in Korean
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gGkreeXMWE

This guy is the Korean equivalent of Teslabjorn, he even owns a model S !
    Plenty of tyre squeal and he even puts the back seat down and gets into the boot, so if you were wondering if the Niro boot is bigger than the Kona, here's the proof. Just a pity I don't understand Korean :)

Seemingly I was incorrect....I know first time for everything....according to people in US the battery in Kona and Niro will be the exact same, no difference. I know earlier I found a report they would use a different type of battery in Niro but seems incorrect

• Advertisement

Based on the look of the Niro....I am very impressed....as long as Kia dont screw us over like Hyundai have done....then it might be the answer

Anyone know if Hybrid is same spec in Ireland compared to UK?

Im struggling to find. Anyone know the rear seat width on the Niro?

Also any idea will it hold a roof box like the Kona supports?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

icom wrote: »
    Extensive review of the Niro EV in Korean
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gGkreeXMWE

This guy is the Korean equivalent of Teslabjorn, he even owns a model S !
    Plenty of tyre squeal and he even puts the back seat down and gets into the boot, so if you were wondering if the Niro boot is bigger than the Kona, here's the proof. Just a pity I don't understand Korean :)

You can adjust the settings to get it to autotranslate and pick English. Only watched a few seconds, and inevitably things will be lost, but it picked up 'regenerative braking'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Im struggling to find. Anyone know the rear seat width on the Niro?

It won't take three seats for sure.
    Also any idea will it hold a roof box like the Kona supports?

Unless you get panoramic roof, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was beside a Niro PHEV at a destination/slow charger yesterday. They are qiuite a nice machine in person but a little strange proportioned. I'd prefer a (BEV) Niro over a Kona imo. Personal preference.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Was beside a Niro PHEV at a destination/slow charger yesterday. They are qiuite a nice machine in person but a little strange proportioned. I'd prefer a (BEV) Niro over a Kona imo. Personal preference.

The more I see of the Niro, the more I like it...

I sat into the hybrid and liked it. Alot better than when I sat into a Sportage a few years back, they seemed to have refined their interior.....

Will all depend on test drive of both of course

one thing i dont like on the niro is the colours. I guess the grey/silver is the best of them... black seems to be dull and has no sparkle to it. Was parked beside a blue one the other day & that wasn't very appealing to me.

I do like the interior. Just hope I also like the price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I really like the dark blue, saw a PHEV version in the flesh. This colour...

397e802a-2019-kia-niro-ev-9_resize.jpg

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I really like the dark blue, saw a PHEV version in the flesh. This colour...

397e802a-2019-kia-niro-ev-9_resize.jpg

I think we all know what your next car will be DrPhilG :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mine is blue :D. Just by chance I had 3 silver cars in a row before it blue was the only colour I liked out of the rest! The new blue is darker.

Advertisement