Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

chewed wrote: »
    While I'm waiting for my car, is there anything I can be doing to get prepared? E.g. Signing up to charging network providers?

EasyGo will take 5 mins to signup online and you then use the app to start charging. With an EasyGo account, you can use it now to charge at ESB units too, so it saves the bother of registering with them (and depositing money with them)

You could start looking at installing Solar panels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

While I'm waiting for my car, is there anything I can be doing to get prepared? E.g. Signing up to charging network providers?

Chargepoint card for using at Ionity is handy. Flat fee last time I checked although I don't know how long this will last. Very good deal if you take enough kWh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

championc wrote: »
    EasyGo will take 5 mins to signup online and you then use the app to start charging. With an EasyGo account, you can use it now to charge at ESB units too, so it saves the bother of registering with them (and depositing money with them)

You could start looking at installing Solar panels :)

Cheers, didn't know easy go covers both themselves and ESB chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Did any of you install wheel lock nuts? Is it necessary with an EV? Any recommendations?

xboxdad wrote: »
    Did any of you install wheel lock nuts? Is it necessary with an EV? Any recommendations?

Didn't come with them buy they are available from Kia. Got some from the dealer and they were in a Kia branded packet.

I've no experience with aftermarket nuts but maybe somebody else can help.

• Advertisement

Didn't come with them buy they are available from Kia. Got some from the dealer and they were in a Kia branded packet.

I've no experience with aftermarket nuts but maybe somebody else can help.

Thank you.

I'm wondering, did everyone else get wheel lock nuts for free except me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

xboxdad wrote: »
    If any of you guys manage to get (buy even) a service pack, please share here if at all possible. My dealer said he can't even price it yet, so N/A.

When I was haggling it in I was told that the 3 year service package was €250. That was last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bif wrote: »
    Folks. Looking for advice...What would be a good price for a straight purchase of an E Niro? Thanks.

Phone around every dealer in the country. Literally every one.

You might get a deal on an ex demo with only a thousand km or so on it. Or you might get a bit off. I know one dealer who offered €250 off, another offered me 0% finance on one if I put €10k down up front.

But like I said, try them all. I know that one of the local dealerships here in Donegal just sold their demo to a guy from (either, can't recall) Kildare or Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Kildare or Kilkenny.

Bit of both. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Chargepoint card for using at Ionity is handy. Flat fee last time I checked although I don't know how long this will last. Very good deal if you take enough kWh.

Is this an actual card? I assume you need a card to activate these chargers? Or can it be done via an app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Phone around every dealer in the country. Literally every one.

You might get a deal on an ex demo with only a thousand km or so on it. Or you might get a bit off. I know one dealer who offered €250 off, another offered me 0% finance on one if I put €10k down up front.

But like I said, try them all. I know that one of the local dealerships here in Donegal just sold their demo to a guy from (either, can't recall) Kildare or Kilkenny.

Thanks Dr. What price are they looking for them on the road? €41,500?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bif wrote: »
    Thanks Dr. What price are they looking for them on the road? €41,500?

€40,995

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

€40,995
    Thanks.

Is this an actual card? I assume you need a card to activate these chargers? Or can it be done via an app?

Yes. App and a card also. I wanted a card for easiness of use and as backup if I have no data/phone battery etc

I used app QR scan before my card arrived in the post. Flat fee €7.42 for the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

guys, what was your preferred option when signed up with Easy Go: PrePay Subscription or Pay As You Go?

Yes. App and a card also. I wanted a card for easiness of use and as backup if I have no data/phone battery etc

I used app QR scan before my card arrived in the post. Flat fee €7.42 for the session.

Is this the app?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coulombtech&hl=en

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    guys, what was your preferred option when signed up with Easy Go: PrePay Subscription or Pay As You Go?

Don't remember that option. I certainly don't remember providing any credit or debit card details

Can you pay at ESB chargers with Easygo app ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Can you pay at ESB chargers with Easygo app ?

Yep and ionity too

• Advertisement

Is anyone here using a granny cable for their Niro EV? I'd like to get one as a precaution but not sure what type to get. I'm heading down to Connemara in late July and am worried I might get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is anyone here using a granny cable for their Niro EV? I'd like to get one as a precaution but not sure what type to get. I'm heading down to Connemara in late July and am worried I might get stuck.
    Comes with the car.

And once you get down there, you possibly only need an overnight charge once and that should keep you going for a fair while

Comes with the car.

Brilliant. I didn't realise they provided a granny cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ours was tucked away in the spare wheel wheel-well (tongue twister!), essentially where a spare wheel would go, if they supplied one (which they don't). I used mine once (tripped a fuse in the house!) - at a guess, it's about 4-5m long, so if the house you are visiting doesn't have a socket near where you park the car, you may run into issues. You are not supposed to use long coiled extension leads with the granny cable, so something worth bearing in mind. Like you, I'll be doing some travelling down around the south-west in July, but mostly will be staying near eCar charge locations, so as long as I can get a spot, I'd hope to avoid fast charging, but have ear-marked the fast chargers too.

I think this granny charger thing is great. In practice it seems to be adding 3.4% per hour, just like on paper. (2.2kWh per hour out of the 64kWh)
    A normal 8hr working day would add 27% charge. That's a lot to spend in an afternoon/evening until the next charge during the next working day.
    I only ever left it plugged in for 2-3 hours max (haven't used the car that much yet), but no part of the cable or domestic wall socket got hot, not even warm.
    I want to try DC fast charging, but it's hard to find the occasion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

graememk wrote: »
    Yep and ionity too

Just be aware I don't think this is really up and running yet. Any day now it might work, but no pricing shown for esb and Ionity on easygo app, but was supposed to be working a week or two ago. The Ionity pricing might be high.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Just be aware I don't think this is really up and running yet. Any day now it might work, but no pricing shown for esb and Ionity on easygo app, but was supposed to be working a week or two ago. The Ionity pricing might be high.

The price of a full fill-up at an Ionity charge will still come nowhere near the price of a full tank of petrol :)

I just tried DC charging for the first time. It went well except that the EasyGo app said the 50kW ESB charger is "Free of charge". I used my ESB card as I thought that has to be the best card to use with an ESB charger. ...and it charged me 13 EUR.
    So should I have activated the ESB charger with the EasyGo RFID instead?
    Or the EasyGo app is just telling BS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The app is wrong.

Advertisement