Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

JohnC. wrote: »
    Picked mine up today. Nice drive home, despite the wind and rain. Coming from a rather basic car, it was a little disconcerting at first when the car was controlling itself with SCC and LFA, but soon got used to it. Lots of toys to play with and adjust now.

Yeah, it's great isn't it? I was the same, coming from a basic car it's lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Just out of the dealer following a service. I was asked if I got a granny charger when I got the car, I didn't so they're arranging one now.

Anyone that bought last year and didn't get a granny charger should contact their dealer for their one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Got my niro yesterday. Loving it so far. So many gadgets and buttons to explore, but I think have the gist of everything now. I forgot how much I missed automatic cars. My left leg gradually stopped twitching on the ride home!

Is anyone using a dashcam on their Niro? I have my old ddpai M6 from the Sportage I had but it's just not a nice fit on the Niro and I don't think I'll install it. I can't find a decent spot for it anywhere.

On the Sportage I had it neatly behind the mirror. But there's no room for it other than the left side. and even at that I'll end up having a dark spot on the right side of the video screen.

Just wondering if there are any better/tidier options for dashcams.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Whatever you do, make sure it powers off after stopping the car, or it will drain the 12v battery, and you won't be able to start the car, even if the 400v BEV battery is at 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Just out of the dealer following a service. I was asked if I got a granny charger when I got the car, I didn't so they're arranging one now.

Anyone that bought last year and didn't get a granny charger should contact their dealer for their one.

Can you say what KIA charge to service the eNiro ?

• Advertisement

icom wrote: »
    Can you say what KIA charge to service the eNiro ?

I can't, I'm afraid. I haggled a service plan into the deal when I bought it.

What's the map and navigation like on the eNiro? I haven't used it yet, but on my Sportage it was awful! I only ever used it in cities/towns, but for long distances, it brought me on the strangest routes! I ended up using my phone with Google maps as it was more reliable.

I'm not sure what system Kia are using now?

chewed wrote: »
    What's the map and navigation like on the eNiro? I haven't used it yet, but on my Sportage it was awful! I only ever used it in cities/towns, but for long distances, it brought on the strangest routes! I ended up using my phone with Google maps as it was more reliable.

I'm not sure what system Kia are using now?

Very similar to the Ioniq. I normally only use it in the UK, where I've found it to be pretty good. Be aware that the maps are always a year out of date, even if you've just installed the latest version!

I don't use Android Auto as I prefer to have the now and next directions in the speedo display, along with the countdown to turns.

Very similar to the Ioniq. I normally only use it in the UK, where I've found it to be pretty good. Be aware that the maps are always a year out of date, even if you've just installed the latest version!

I don't use Android Auto as I prefer to have the now and next directions in the speedo display, along with the countdown to turns.

I noticed that it doesn't accept Eircodes! Is that right, or am I doing something wrong?

I noticed that it doesn't accept Eircodes! Is that right, or am I doing something wrong?

No, Eircodes aren't supported, only UK postcodes.

• Advertisement

No, Eircodes aren't supported, only UK postcodes.

that's a pity! Having eircode functionality is so handy.

Although I do like the Uvo functionality on the phone where i can search for an address and then send it to the car as a POI. Very handy

So, I've been driving my new eNiro for the past few days. So far I love it and such a smooth drive. Can't wait to hit the open road and for the weather to improve! I tried the public charger today for the 1st time, which was a bit of an ordeal, but got there in the end. I also encountered a car parked in the charge point and not charging! ARRRGHH.

I have 3 things I'd like to get your advice on...

1. Is there a way for the car to remember some of the settings? E.g. When I turn on Park assist, turn off Lane assist, turn off VESS, they all seem to reset back when I start the car again! Is this normal?

2. Is there a particular process when you pull up to a charge point and when to lock the car, what buttons to press, etc? I had everything plugged in and I pressed the AUTO charge button on the right of the steering wheel and it started, but would like to know the proper way.

3. When I left the charging bay, I noticed a yellow EV warning light (yellow triangle with !). I stopped the car, turned it off and back on again, and it disappeared, but not sure if this is a serious warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:D collected earlier. Ah feels like only yesterday when Unkel wished me luck with the hybrid lol :p

Settings are not saved, and there's no way to set the "default" setting.

For charging, I do nothing in the car at all. I park, I get out, I connect the cable to the car and then the charger, and finally activate charging on the charger with the App. I lock the car and walk away.

When I come back, unlock the car, stop the charging, disconnect the cable, jump in and drive away.

I've never ever seen any yellow triangles !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

So, I've been driving my new eNiro for the past few days. So far I love it and such a smooth drive. Can't wait to hit the open road and for the weather to improve! I tried the public charger today for the 1st time, which was a bit of an ordeal, but got there in the end. I also encountered a car parked in the charge point and not charging! ARRRGHH.

I have 3 things I'd like to get your advice on...

1. Is there a way for the car to remember some of the settings? E.g. When I turn on Park assist, turn off Lane assist, turn off VESS, they all seem to reset back when I start the car again! Is this normal?

2. Is there a particular process when you pull up to a charge point and when to lock the car, what buttons to press, etc? I had everything plugged in and I pressed the AUTO charge button on the right of the steering wheel and it started, but would like to know the proper way.

3. When I left the charging bay, I noticed a yellow EV warning light (yellow triangle with !). I stopped the car, turned it off and back on again, and it disappeared, but not sure if this is a serious warning.

We have an Ioniq but I presume similar when charging.
    If you have the car set to only charge between certain times of the night (As we do) then you have to press the charge now button to right of wheel (Or in charging menu) if charging anywhere outside this time.
    Just check the flashing charging lights are displayed when you walk away from car and you will know all is well..
    VESS is always on at start up, but I am fairly sure you can turn off lane assist in main menu if you want.

championc wrote: »
    Settings are not saved, and there's no way to set the "default" setting.

For charging, I do nothing in the car at all. I park, I get out, I connect the cable to the car and then the charger, and finally activate charging on the charger with the App. I lock the car and walk away.

When I come back, unlock the car, stop the charging, disconnect the cable, jump in and drive away.

I've never ever seen any yellow triangles !!!

OK thanks. So I could use the UVO app to activate the charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I just plug in and it started charging, the app notifies when charging is complete. I switch on "Auto" in the car which, I think, unlocks the cable when charging is done (as measured by unplugging the cable at charge point).

I find winding the cable back up to go back in the Kia bag is a pain :-D I'll have to get one of those Frunk boxes.

What do you all do to clean the interior?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I just plug in and it started charging, the app notifies when charging is complete. I switch on "Auto" in the car which, I think, unlocks the cable when charging is done (as measured by unplugging the cable at charge point).

I find winding the cable back up to go back in the Kia bag is a pain :-D I'll have to get one of those Frunk boxes

What do you all do to clean the interior?

I've only used a public AC once (and the same for DC) just to see how it works.

I got to keep my single phase cable so I have that for my charge point at home, in a garage so still nice and dry.

The three phase one is really chunky, it has to be coiled up quite right to fit in the bag.

Normally just use a cordless hoover to clean the inside, although no kids to dirty it!

OK thanks. So I could use the UVO app to activate the charging?

Nooo. I meant the EasyGo or eCars App

And if you didn't know, you can use the EasyGo app to start charging on any eCars charge point, without even being registered with eCars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

How do I know which cable I got with the car?

• Advertisement

How do I know which cable I got with the car?

The 3bphase has prongs in the lower two holes of the connector.

The Kia single phase cable is light blue while the 3 phase cable is grey (and heavy)

Thanks. I got the right one then.

At what battery % would you consider recharging? Or would you always plug it in at home and keep it topped up to 80%?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

At what battery % would you consider recharging? Or would you always plug it in at home and keep it topped up to 80%?

For me it depends on what i'm doing tomorrow. If i'm going nowhere, I won't bother plugging in. Somewhat similar to my ICE car days, when i'd only fill up when it gets low enough. Granted with an EV 80% is best unless you need the full range.

If using it daily I wouldn't worry about it but I wouldn't allow it sit over 80% charge for days on end. Batteries are more stressed the longer they're kept at very high and very low charge levels.

Am I doing something wrong?

Did my first charge, at a slow (22kW) charge point. Stopped the charge when I was done. Unplugged the charge point end. But the car end remained locked. Had to use the release under the bonnet to unplug it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Did my first charge, at a slow (22kW) charge point. Stopped the charge when I was done. Unplugged the charge point end. But the car end remained locked. Had to use the release under the bonnet to unplug it.

Did you try the door unlock button on the drivers door or key fob?
    That should unlock the cable at the car end.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

KCross wrote: »
    Did you try the door unlock button on the drivers door or key fob?
    That should unlock the cable at the car end.

Yeah when you unlock the car, you'll hear the servo unlocking the cable (and will relock it after 30 seconds I think)

So if you were at your home charger and still charging, it drops the charge rate to 0.5kw making it safe to unplug.

Also if your pulling on the cable it won't/can't release the lock so make sure that its pushed in full

I had a similar experience yesterday with my 1st public charge. swiped card on charger to cancel it, removed the plug but couldn't remove it from the car. It took a minute before I could remove it, so wasn't sure if there was some timer?

• Advertisement

Make sure the auto cable release is on. The orange light should be on all the time. The button is in the cluster of buttons above the fuse box, to the right of the steering wheel.

Advertisement