Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I’ll try those next time. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Do I have to bring the car back to the same dealer I bought it from for servicing & warranty issues?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

xboxdad wrote: »
    Do I have to bring the car back to the same dealer I bought it from for servicing & warranty issues?

No any Kia dealer will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Can anyone here please recommend / PM me the name of an installer for a home charger in the Limerick area - want to get a zappi installed (tethered cable to charge my e-niro).

If I have to buy the zappi separately I will and again any suggestions on reputable suppliers welcome but would like to speak to someone first about installation costs etc
    In the future will look to add PV panels to the house and a lot of the feedback I have read to date say zappi is the way to go

Should be easy enough install I hope but the only electrician I know does not do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    Can anyone here please recommend / PM me the name of an installer for a home charger in the Limerick area - want to get a zappi installed (tethered cable to charge my e-niro).

If I have to buy the zappi separately I will and again any suggestions on reputable suppliers welcome but would like to speak to someone first about installation costs etc
    In the future will look to add PV panels to the house and a lot of the feedback I have read to date say zappi is the way to go

Should be easy enough install I hope but the only electrician I know does not do them.

You can buy online from midsummer.ie

They also sell all PV stuff

• Advertisement

P.V is only good if you're home all day and can leave the car plugged in or you get paid for sending to the grid, I've been looking at it myself lately but it's not viable until there there is a FIT.

The other issue I have is in Ireland you are only allowed to send 5.5 Kw to the grid on single phase, it's a bit of a joke really.

Since I no longer have work charging the average daily house consumption of the house including charging the car for my 142 Km commute is 30.5 Kwh but I expect that to go up to around 35 Kwh as it's calculating my average only since I started the new Job.

Pay back of solar PV at that rate would be a lot shorter if I could store the energy in the grid, it's a really sad state of affairs really and I haven't heard anything from the Greens on a FIT either, known our luck we'd probably only get 1 - 2 cent per Kwh, if we got the Night rate cost of between 6.4 and 8.4 cent per Kwh it would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

As of yesterday Im a happy owner of E-Niro! :) Car is loaded with gadgets and I cannot fault it in any way. Coming from 131 VW driving E-Niro is like night and day.
    My only concern is UVO functionality. It does connect to the car but as of now I only figured out that it locks doors thats all :D Am I missing some installation feature, how is it on your EVs?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi all.

What updates did the 2020 eNiro get vs the 2019. I know there's some cosmetic changes outside (rear tail lights), and a decent overhaul of the dash inside (new screen, more gloss, vents repositioned).

Any convenience features added? Do either 2019 or 2020 have heated seats? Memory seats? Auto fold mirrors? Wireless charging? etc.

Any under the bonnet changes? More powerful AC charger? DC charging speeds?

Any new driver aids? I assume the both have LKAS, cruise control.

What is UVO? And did both versions come with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on the new car! We're currently n our first big road trip and loving it!
    Not sure I fully understand the question about UVO, but the main reasons for using the UVO app, would be:
    1) Get the charge status of your vehicle (for example, so you're not overstaying at a remote charger)
    2) Schedule charging (e.g. take advantage of night rate)
    3) Start/Stop AC, for remote heat up or cooling of the vehicle
    4) Remote door lock - have had to use this quite a few times
    5) See where the car is
    6) Send routing destinations to the car
    7) Get alerts about things like leaving the doors,boot unlocked (often), car powered on, etc.
    That's about it. Well wear!

Hi all.

What updates did the 2020 eNiro get vs the 2019. I know there's some cosmetic changes outside (rear tail lights), and a decent overhaul of the dash inside (new screen, more gloss, vents repositioned).

Any convenience features added? Do either 2019 or 2020 have heated seats? Memory seats? Auto fold mirrors? Wireless charging? etc.

Any under the bonnet changes? More powerful AC charger? DC charging speeds?

Any new driver aids? I assume the both have LKAS, cruise control.

What is UVO? And did both versions come with it?
    2020 has heated front and rear seats. No memory seats - in fact seats are not electronically adjusted at all. Yes, auto-fold mirrors, yes wireless phone charging, but I imagine the 2019 had all of these features also. See my previous post about UVO, which was missing from the 2019. Faster AC charging in the newer model. I think the driver assist stuff is the same.

Main changes from 2019 to 2020 are the larger infotainment screen, UVO support (built-in SIM card and internal storage) and faster AC charging (using supplied 3 phase cable).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Congrats on the new car! We're currently n our first big road trip and loving it!
    Not sure I fully understand the question about UVO, but the main reasons for using the UVO app, would be:
    1) Get the charge status of your vehicle (for example, so you're not overstaying at a remote charger)
    2) Schedule charging (e.g. take advantage of night rate)
    3) Start/Stop AC, for remote heat up or cooling of the vehicle
    4) Remote door lock - have had to use this quite a few times
    5) See where the car is
    6) Send routing destinations to the car
    7) Get alerts about things like leaving the doors,boot unlocked (often), car powered on, etc.
    That's about it. Well wear!

when using the home charger, do you use the charger or the uvo app to control the charging schedule? I'm waiting for wallbox to be installed this week, and the installer mentioned everything can be controlled by a wallbox app.

can someone explain what this button does?

50111509997_e5b84667ef_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd guess it overrides timer for charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

JPA wrote: »
    I'd guess it overrides timer for charging.

Your guess would be right. :D

If you have timers set and want to charge away from home, you have to press this to override the timers and start the charge.

Your guess would be right. :D

If you have timers set and want to charge away from home, you have to press this to override the timers and start the charge.

are these timers set from within the car or from the Uvo app?

The other issue I have is in Ireland you are only allowed to send 5.5 Kw to the grid on single phase, it's a bit of a joke really.

You do know that this is a concurrent amount and not a daily cumulative amount ?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

2020 has heated front and rear seats. No memory seats - in fact seats are not electronically adjusted at all. Yes, auto-fold mirrors, yes wireless phone charging, but I imagine the 2019 had all of these features also. See my previous post about UVO, which was missing from the 2019. Faster AC charging in the newer model. I think the driver assist stuff is the same.

Main changes from 2019 to 2020 are the larger infotainment screen, UVO support (built-in SIM card and internal storage) and faster AC charging (using supplied 3 phase cable).

No heated rear seats in MY19. Never looked for wireless charging so don't know. Everything else as you say above.

UK spec MY19 had electric adjusted front seats so I don't know what is going on there.

UK spec MY19 had electric adjusted front seats so I don't know what is going on there.

Kia Ireland reports in to European HQ in Frankfurt. The UK model specs are totally different. They only got dour boring colours and so never got offered the Runway Red (which looked nice, but I went for Black). I haven't seen anyone mention buying a Red here. Will we get a 4+ type option in Jan 21 ?

Goodness knows what the UK does - they're not Europeans :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

championc wrote: »
    Kia Ireland reports in to European HQ in Frankfurt. The UK model specs are totally different. They only got dour boring colours and so never got offered the Runway Red (which looked nice, but I went for Black). I haven't seen anyone mention buying a Red here. Will we get a 4+ type option in Jan 21 ?

Goodness knows what the UK does - they're not Europeans :):)

Tell me about it. UK models have tortoise mode when low on juice. Rest of the world gets turtle mode lol

You do know that this is a concurrent amount and not a daily cumulative amount ?

Yes.

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    when using the home charger, do you use the charger or the uvo app to control the charging schedule? I'm waiting for wallbox to be installed this week, and the installer mentioned everything can be controlled by a wallbox app.

You can set timing either using the UVO app or the infotainment system in the car, or using your home charger, if the charger supports it. I'm still waiting for my charger to be installed (since March - the ESB are holding everything up), but have opted for a non-smart charger (EO mini), so will be setting up my timing from the UVO app/car. The next challenge is getting day/ night meter. The ESB are fitting a smart meter in the coming months, which means I'll have to downgrade it to a day/night meter, until the ESB smart meter supports dual charging rates, which seems really dumb.

You can set timing either using the UVO app or the infotainment system in the car, or using your home charger, if the charger supports it. I'm still waiting for my charger to be installed (since March - the ESB are holding everything up), but have opted for a non-smart charger (EO mini), so will be setting up my timing from the UVO app/car. The next challenge is getting day/ night meter. The ESB are fitting a smart meter in the coming months, which means I'll have to downgrade it to a day/night meter, until the ESB smart meter supports dual charging rates, which seems really dumb.

Is your meter a digital one?, Switching from 24 hr to day night is just a change in the way it is read, There might be someone out to change a setting in it but thats about it.

If its one of the old meters, then it will be replaced with a digital one

I cant see why the smart meters cant be read the old fashioned way too but, ive never seen one so have no reference.

Yes.

Sorry then, I don't get it so. What's so laughable about being able to export 5.5kw all day every day if you wanted or had that power ?

Sorry then, I don't get it so. What's so laughable about being able to export 5.5kw all day every day if you wanted or had that power ?

Because it's a ridiculously low limit. That's what I meant.

The more I can export the more I can save long term.

Because it's a ridiculously low limit. That's what I meant.

The more I can export the more I can save long term.

Yes, but in all honesty, you'd need some absolutely massive system to be exporting 5.5kw. How big is yours ?

graememk wrote: »
    Is your meter a digital one?, Switching from 24 hr to day night is just a change in the way it is read, There might be someone out to change a setting in it but thats about it.

If its one of the old meters, then it will be replaced with a digital one

I cant see why the smart meters cant be read the old fashioned way too but, ive never seen one so have no reference.
    I currently have an old style non- digital meter, but the ESB have dropped in a leaflet to let me know they will be upgrading it to smart meter in the coming months. My understanding is that they don't have the capability at present to support day/night rates (even though it would be a software only change), so based on posts I've read elsewhere in this forum, the only option seems to be to downgrade the meter to a non- smart meter (perhaps still digital), until such time as the ESB updates their software to support dual rate support. I'm open to correction though. I'm currently waiting a few weeks for the ESB to connect to upgraded tails. The 10 days described on their site is complete rubbish.

looking for some advice. I finally have my wallbox charger installed and it's currently charging the car. Is there a way I can stop it at 80% or even send me an alarm to say it's at 80%? I'm confused with the UVO app and departure times, so not sure if that's where I set it.

I currently have an old style non- digital meter

Ah if you contact your electricity supplier and request a change to a day/night meter they'll send esb networks out to change the meter.

I think if you are on a day night billing you wont be switched over to a smart meter, until they are ready to take day/night customers on the smart meter system.
    chewed wrote: »
    looking for some advice. I finally have my wallbox charger installed and it's currently charging the car. Is there a way I can stop it at 80% or even send me an alarm to say it's at 80%? I'm confused with the UVO app and departure times, so not sure if that's where I set it.

yes if you go into your car and press the EV button you can set a charge limit there.

also on the uvo app, if you hit the hambuger icon in the top left, and go to EV service> set charge limit, that changes the same setting.

the Departure settings is for preheating/cooling the cabin when connected to your home charge point. (it might? warm the battery but i'm not sure)

Then you also have scheduled charging, that allows you to set the hours it can charge (ie on night rate)

the Departure settings and Scheduled charging can be set from the app too, if you press the UVO button and then go to the schedule tab.

On an unrelated note, I see that frunk.at have a new frunk for the niro coming out in week 30 (next week maybe) and also have Gas bonnet lifters too coming in sept.

I might get both when they become available.

graememk wrote:
    also on the uvo app, if you hit the hambuger icon in the top left, and go to EV service> set charge limit, that changes the same setting.

Thanks for info. I never noticed the hamburger icon! I blame my bad eyesight

• Advertisement

One last question. Has anyone been able to share their UVO app with anyone? I was trying to set up my wife to have access. I set her up on the app and then sent a Share Car to her phone with a PIN. But when I clicked ACCEPT CAR SHARING, nothing happens. Then when I click it again it says the car is already shared. But on her app, I can't see the car added.

50112971652_eb524d7f6f_n.jpg

Advertisement