Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

food after swimming

• 09-01-2018 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi all

I have started swimming in the morning and I have never thought about eating after exercising as it usually synced well with lunch or dinner time

I would eat oats for breakfast 30m before the swim. Not eating before is not an option for me...
    I only swim 40-50 lengths, finishing before 9 AM.
    Do I need a second breakfast after the swim? Or just eating something easy like a banana would suffice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

Im always starving after swimming and try to time it to be before lunch. But I find a cereal bar or smoothie after a swim to be a good option. I'm just talking about hunger though, not fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Immersion in cool/ cold water can trigger a hunger response, but swimming itself (obviously depending on intensity) generally isn't that good at burning calories in my experience, and a lot (definitely for me) of the percieved effort is down to poor technique rather than intensity. So you may not need anything, so I'd just go with the banana if you feel hungry. 1000-1200 probably isn't putting you in a place to need anything specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mikelata

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Immersion in cool/ cold water can trigger a hunger response, but swimming itself (obviously depending on intensity) generally isn't that good at burning calories in my experience, and a lot (definitely for me) of the percieved effort is down to poor technique rather than intensity. So you may not need anything, so I'd just go with the banana if you feel hungry. 1000-1200 probably isn't putting you in a place to need anything specific.

I think you are right, 50 lengths might not be enough distance to require food consumption planning. I will play it by hungry feelings!

Thanks

Hi again,

I am following my own old thread about eating after swimming...

Since I wrote this thread early this year, I have gone from swimming 50 lengths to the current 100 lengths, and I am not having the same internal debate about eating or not after swimming...

Current process:
    I have my first breakfast at 7 AM.
    I swim 100 lengths 8-9AM
    I eat a banana after swimming

I can normally survive until lunchtime without more food, but I have read that eating 30g of protein not later than 2h after swimming is good for the muscles and recovery.

Timing the swim with lunchtime would be great, but this is not a possibility. Should I just start eating some protein at around 10:30 AM and then a normal lunch?
    Or would the idea be then having a light lunch to don't overeat?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

mikelata wrote: »
    Hi all

I have started swimming in the morning and I have never thought about eating after exercising as it usually synced well with lunch or dinner time

I would eat oats for breakfast 30m before the swim. Not eating before is not an option for me...
    I only swim 40-50 lengths, finishing before 9 AM.
    Do I need a second breakfast after the swim? Or just eating something easy like a banana would suffice?

Thanks

Why?

• Advertisement

The pre-swimming nutrition part is OK. I eat what I need to have enough energy for the swim

The part that I debate about is the post-swimming nutrition part.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

mikelata wrote: »
    Hi again,

I am following my own old thread about eating after swimming...

Since I wrote this thread early this year, I have gone from swimming 50 lengths to the current 100 lengths, and I am not having the same internal debate about eating or not after swimming...

Current process:
    I have my first breakfast at 7 AM.
    I swim 100 lengths 8-9AM
    I eat a banana after swimming

I can normally survive until lunchtime without more food, but I have read that eating 30g of protein not later than 2h after swimming is good for the muscles and recovery.

Timing the swim with lunchtime would be great, but this is not a possibility. Should I just start eating some protein at around 10:30 AM and then a normal lunch?
    Or would the idea be then having a light lunch to don't overeat?

Thanks

This is well worth a read ...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/does-nutrient-timing-matter

Some snippets but read the whole thing.

"Research has shown that glycogen is replenished faster within 30–60 minutes after working out"

"In short, if you meet your total daily needs for protein, calories and other nutrients, the anabolic window is less important than most people believe."

What is your goal?

Training fasted can help "Additionally, some research actually shows training with lower muscle glycogen to be beneficial, especially if your goal is fitness and fat loss"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mathie wrote: »
    Training fasted can help "Additionally, some research actually shows training with lower muscle glycogen to be beneficial, especially if your goal is fitness and fat loss"

Just on this, Brad Schoenfeld published the results of a study the last few days with evidence suggesting that the percentage of fat loss was similar and that the only real reason for fasted exercise was personal preference.

mathie wrote: »
    This is well worth a read ...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/does-nutrient-timing-matter

Some snippets but read the whole thing.

"Research has shown that glycogen is replenished faster within 30–60 minutes after working out"

"In short, if you meet your total daily needs for protein, calories and other nutrients, the anabolic window is less important than most people believe."

What is your goal?

Thanks mathie

That article is fascinating. It completely answers my questions...

So, according to that article, I can finish my morning workout and instead of eating in a time window for recovery/muscle growth, I can just wait until lunch time and focus on the total daily protein intake instead

I will only eat before I am tired or very hungry

very useful. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just on this, Brad Schoenfeld published the results of a study the last few days with evidence suggesting that the percentage of fat loss was similar and that the only real reason for fasted exercise was personal preference.

Older study showing same thing.
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7

concluded
    "To the authors’ knowledge, this is the first study to investigate body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise performed in the fasted versus fed state while subjects maintained a caloric deficit. It has been hypothesized that exercising when fasted forces the body to rely on using fat as a substrate rather than carbohydrate, thereby reducing body fat to a greater extent than performance of post-prandial exercise. Our results refute the veracity of this hypothesis. Although both groups lost a significant amount of weight and fat mass, no differences were seen between conditions in any outcome measure regardless of pre-exercise feeding status."

There is a multiude of other cues other than glycogen level which effect appetite.

https://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2016/09/do-blood-glucose-levels-affect-hunger.html

• Advertisement

Dr Longo in his book "the longevity diet", mentioned that "to maximize muscle synthesis 30 grams should be consumed in a single meal "

So, this might suggest that, even though the nutrition timing might not be important, one meal should be high protein dense

Advertisement