Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android updates for Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

Options
  • 09-01-2018 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    With all the news regarding these vulnerabilities do Eir have any plans to release updates for Android handsets? Apple released iOS 11.2.2 yesterday and Microsoft and Google as well as other vendors have been releasing updates/patches over the last week. 
    Regards?
    Poco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Poco90 wrote: »
    Hi,
    With all the news regarding these vulnerabilities do Eir have any plans to release updates for Android handsets? Apple released iOS 11.2.2 yesterday and Microsoft and Google as well as other vendors have been releasing updates/patches over the last week. 
    Regards?
    Poco
    Hi Poco90,

In regards to Eir releasing an update for your handset, this would not be possible. We are a service provider and wouldn't have the capability of releasing an update for your handset.

Updates would be solely dependent on the manufacturer of your handset.

Thanks 

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Tracey,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Maybe the phrasing of my question was incorrect. I do understand that the handset manufacturers release the updates but these updates are then realised via the provider as they are tailored to suit the providers network (enabling or disabling features[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]). That was my question, was if you had a timeframe on any handset updates.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Since I posted, I was onto Eir business regarding another issue, and they confirmed that they are waiting on the handset vendors to release the update to Eir before pushing them out. We have business phones on site, that I am concerned about.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Regards,[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Poco[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Poco90 wrote: »
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Tracey,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Maybe the phrasing of my question was incorrect. I do understand that the handset manufacturers release the updates but these updates are then realised via the provider as they are tailored to suit the providers network (enabling or disabling features[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]). That was my question, was if you had a timeframe on any handset updates.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Since I posted, I was onto Eir business regarding another issue, and they confirmed that they are waiting on the handset vendors to release the update to Eir before pushing them out. We have business phones on site, that I am concerned about.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Regards,[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Poco[/font]
    I'm afraid I have no exact timeframe either. I can, however, pass your feedback on to see if I can get a timeframe.

Thanks 

Tracey

Advertisement