Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparky Apprenticeship (part time?)

Options
  • 09-01-2018 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I started an electrical apprenticeship when i left school over 20 years ago, but never completed it as i was offered another job and needed the money at the time.

Anyway, i am now a full time fireman and as such my shifts and nights leave me with a lot of free time on my off days, i always regret not fully qualifying as a sparks and would love to study in parallel with my job using my free time for something productive.. Is this possible or is it strictly a full time deal with whoever took over from fás?

Just interested to hear has anyone done similar?

Ultimately i would like to qualify and be able to line up work on my days off

Thanks
    H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I'd imagine you would need to cover 4 years fully.
    So if you work only half the year it would take 8 years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

chrismon wrote: »
    I'd imagine you would need to cover 4 years fully.
    So if you work only half the year it would take 8 years.

I would think you are correct, if it was possible to take short cuts everyone would do it. Besides the less time you put in the less your get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Wouldn't work out. Even if you could get somebody to register you, you'll be full time in your college phases. (Im in Phase 2 now & it is 22 weeks).

Advertisement