Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LBC Radio Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Agreed.

Available via the TuneIn Radio app and probably from the LBC website (LBC = Leading Britain's Conversation)

Can't believe I've only begun tuning into this show recently.

It's an odd mixture of Liveline and RTÉ News At One, with the same odd mixture of journalistic balance and explicit bias. The content is current affairs, but is "an unfiltered, uncensored, caller-driven show"

Over the past few days, Farage has focused on the Catalonian referendum debate, with Farage (predictably) seeming to blame the European Union at every opportunity.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nigel-farage/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, I'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Its lbc or talk radio James Whale for me after 7pm nightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Whstever next? The Donald Trump Show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

I just can't remain calm if Farage is anywhere in sight or earshot.

Jamess O'Brien is easy to listen to though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Farage is such a chancer. Where's the £350m p.w. for the NHS Nigel eh.

Just as EU septic in his own way funnily enough, Try George Galloway friday night on talk radio. Or it's up on youtube each week.

Farage is such a chancer. Where's the £350m p.w. for the NHS Nigel eh.
    Well, that wasn't Farage, in fairness.

That claim was made by Boris Johnson end his fellow ne'er-do-wells in the Vote Leave campaign, whom Farage called "apparatchiks" and cretins".

Anyway, this isn't about the Referendum, it's about Farage's radio chat show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, that wasn't Farage, in fairness.

That claim was made by Boris Johnson end his fellow ne'er-do-wells in the Vote Leave campaign, whom Farage called "apparatchiks" and cretins".

Anyway, this isn't about the Referendum, it's about Farage's radio chat show.

Ok, not the referendum but former the leader of Ukip's radio show, got ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

I must say I can't get enough of Nigel on this show. I try and catch it every evening. Not because of his politics but because he is a very engaging host.
    He has a really good presence as an anchor, in my view.

The comparison with something like Liveline is good one - some nutter callers, biased one way or the other and a host who's pretty biased.

Farage is much more composed than Joe Duffy when personal criticism comes his way - and he gets plenty of it each evening from Remainers.

I also like the way LBC facilitate him when he's working his real job in Brussels or Strasbourg - the show goes ahead regardless. I accept this does allow him airtime for clips of him berating Juncker in the European Parliament or whatever, which probably would not be heard in the UK otherwise.
    I doubt he takes as much time off as Duffy, either.
    Global Radio expect their presenters to be doing what they pay them to do for most of the year! Helloooo RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Expunge wrote: »
    I must say I can't get enough of Nigel on this show. I try and catch it every evening. Not because of his politics but because he is a very engaging host.
    He has a really good presence as an anchor, in my view.

I agree with you.
    His show, his reaction and interaction with callers is really excellent.

Ian Dale on Drive is also excellent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is it not just a fancier version of the Boylan show?
    I've listened to bits and bobs and half of the callers are crackpots

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is it not just a fancier version of the Boylan show?
    I've listened to bits and bobs and half of the callers are crackpots

I'm not disagreeing on that point but I just think that Farage has great potential as a host if he could broaden his act past Brexit and the 'evil EU' Schtick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm not disagreeing on that point but I just think that Farage has great potential as a host if he could broaden his act past Brexit and the 'evil EU' Schtick.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The entire LBC format is phone in comment.

Just select the presenter that suits your mood.

Even Katie Hopkins was good craic on Sunday mornings before she got the boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

He only has 1 hour though - Consevatives shambles, IndyRef, USA, Catalunya etc.
    Have been listening on/off since January. He is seriously popular not just in UK but abroad. He is more akin to Pat Kenny with his wit, knowledge etc
    Nigel is all about Brexit though and 10's millions agree with him, he single-handedly pressured UK Govt down this route - and for that he will be forever known. Well done to LBC for giving him a platform

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Isn't the main issue with this show that Farage is a noxious, bigoted, racist, lying ****, thus rendering any broadcasting talent irrelevant?

Like, would people be pleased if Justin Barrett got a show on Newstalk (not ruling out this happening, btw)?

mang0 wrote: »
    Isn't the main issue with this show that Farage is a noxious, bigoted, racist, lying ****, thus rendering any broadcasting talent irrelevant?

Like, would people be pleased if Justin Barrett got a show on Newstalk (not ruling out this happening, btw)?

Farage led his party in to third place in the 2015 General Election in Britain with almost 10% of the popular vote. He had an awful lot to do with there being a Brexit referendum in the first place - for better or worse. He has a very high profile in the UK.

Maybe if Justin Barrett had achievements similar to these but, more importantly, could be a talk radio anchor with Farage's qualities and potential, then yes.
    As I can't remember what he sounds like and have no idea what kind of a presenter he would make, maybe not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

mang0 wrote: »

No, I don't think he is any of those. He's a man passionate and proud of his country, with a wealth of knowledge, quick recall and fine wit.

You don't have to agree with a radio host to like them - James O'Brien at 10am on LBC is one of the best radio presenters I've ever heard, but I rarely agree with his political views.

While we're on the subject (well, deviating from it) of good talk radio, the UK stations are far and away better than anything in Ireland.

For phone-in radio, the best schedule is:

1am: Duncan Adam LBC good mix of politics and other topics, intelligent guy.
    4am: Steve Allen LBC (his demented ramblings are quite fun!)
    7am: Nick Ferrari LBC an amazingly talented broadcaster.
    10am: James O'Brien LBC
    1pm: Jon Holmes TalkRadio - brilliantly funny, clever and surreal
    4pm: Iain Dale, LBC - for a guy who'd never done radio before, he's really good.
    7pm: Clive Bull, LBC - legend. or James Whale, TalkRadio.
    10pm: Ian Collins, LBC or for surreality and amazing originality, Iain Lee on TalkRadio.

For news and documentary content, there's nothing better than Radio 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

etselbbuns wrote: »
    He only has 1 hour though - Consevatives shambles, IndyRef, USA, Catalunya etc.
    Have been listening on/off since January. He is seriously popular not just in UK but abroad. He is more akin to Pat Kenny with his wit, knowledge etc
    Nigel is all about Brexit though and 10's millions agree with him, he single-handedly pressured UK Govt down this route - and for that he will be forever known. Well done to LBC for giving him a platform

Just because he's erudite, eloquent and can shake a mike, doesn't endear him to me in the slightest.
    Because of him, the country over there was riven down the middle like no other time in living memory, and some right nasty peculiarites and prejudices were enabled in the minds of those who'd previously kept themselves under some sort of control.
    For that, I will forever spit on him (figuratively).
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Available from the LBC website and there's an app too for Android & Apple.

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/

It's really good, a real change from the boring Last word and boring programmes and presenters on Irish Radio.

Some of his callers are comedy gold. And a good range of topics (Brexit, Trump etc.)

This was on yesterday and I was chuckling away at my desk in the office.
    James O'Brien asked his listeners for just one reason to think Theresa May has done a good job as Prime Minister... and had this remarkable call.

Gavin phoned in to say that she Mrs May was doing the right thing in carrying out the will of the people.

That made James question what that actually means - and the conversation was very entertaining.

James O'Brien had a very entertaining conversation with Gavin
    James O'Brien had a very entertaining conversation with Gavin. Picture: LBC
    Gavin said: "You're not giving her enough credit for doing what is a very difficult job.

"She's doing what the people voted for. She said 'The people voted for Brexit, we're going to carry that out'."

James pointed out that was 18 months ago and asked for something more recent and, after a lengthy pause, Gavin responded: "Well there's a lot going on. The trouble is these days..."

The host asked again, saying: "It's not a trick question, mate. Give me one thing, just one thing."

What followed was a masterclass in not answering the question... until he eventually said that she was carrying out the will of the people again.
    www.lbc.co.uk/radio/.../james-obrien/james-obrien-one-good-thing-theresa-may/

Does anyone else listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

No hes a smug git

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i listen when i can. he's brilliant, cuts through the crap quickly and easily.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

vince wrote: »
    No hes a smug git

I wouldnt say he's smug at all. Seems to be able to cut through callers BS better than some and actually puts it up to them to elaborate which inevitably leads them to digging themselves in to a hole in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I usually listen to Nick Ferrari beforehand and sometimes hang on for JO'B's first 30 mins or so, enjoy it but dont think I'd last the full 2 hours or whatever it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jubo

Yeah, have to agree on the smug git thing. Can’t stick his ‘I’m so liberal I’m great’ schtick. +1 for Nick Ferrari and if you’re up early enough, Steve Allen, funny, bitchy and not at all PC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’ve heard a bit and quite like it but the problem is that he’s part of a strange modern media that is ridiculously one sided. So because I share a lot of his views I do enjoy it and he’s excellent at dealing with some of the fools who ring in but that’s the problem it’s mainly just fools, we lack good decent balanced media these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I have to agree, I thoroughly enjoy his show. Mystery hour on Thursdays at twelve is the jewel in this broadcasting crown

• Advertisement

Mystery hour is indeed funny. I know he can come across as smug but he does applaud the callers that know what they are talking about and rightly calls out those that think they know what they are saying but actually dont.

Advertisement