Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LBC Radio Megathread

Options
124»

Comments

Harvey Proctor former MP on LBC now, talking about false accusations made against him, and also about his previous convictions for sex with underage males.

Stay sitting in the car radio (but no tears streaming down your face).

The false accusations are dreadful. But he's kinda skipping over the bit where he was an MP in his 40s having sex with teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Expunge wrote: »
    I like the ads for Lawyers helping men get a good divorce deal...."a partner you can depend upon" and dental implants from Darwood and Tanner.

But, above all, it has to be that damn fine jingle package which gives me the horn every time I hear it.
    Written by David Arnold (James Bond, Independence Day etc. as well as Classic FM and Lyric FM) It is just perfect for LBC.
    While RTE Radio 1 likes to get themes and jingles recorded on a Casio keyboard (despite knowing where to find 2 orchestras!), Global does it right, as usual.

https://earshotcreative.com/2014/02/lbc-goes-national-new-jingle-package/

That's awesome. Always loved the music. Great to see this backdrop to it. David Arnold often gets a special mention on O'Brien's show (and has contributed to Mystery Hour) but I didn't know he composed the main LBC themes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭AllForIt

OMG! An LBC thread!

I was hooked when in 1991 I moved to London and there was an old radio in my first rented accommodation. I tuned in and there was a presenter with a very husky voice. Mike Dickin I think his name was, died some years ago. If a caller started a sentence with the word "basically..." he would cut them off instantly and say in the husky voice "..there's no such word as basically..".

I'll have more to say on the presenters later but next up it's Nick Abbot @10.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Expunge wrote: »
    I like the ads for Lawyers helping men get a good divorce deal...."a partner you can depend upon" and dental implants from Darwood and Tanner.

But, above all, it has to be that damn fine jingle package which gives me the horn every time I hear it.
    Written by David Arnold (James Bond, Independence Day etc. as well as Classic FM and Lyric FM) It is just perfect for LBC.
    While RTE Radio 1 likes to get themes and jingles recorded on a Casio keyboard (despite knowing where to find 2 orchestras!), Global does it right, as usual.

https://earshotcreative.com/2014/02/lbc-goes-national-new-jingle-package/

That is phenomenal!!

I love the music in the ads for the cruises. I always found that there was something more professional about the British radio adverts/audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Happy Birthday LBC. 46 today.
    Steve Allen in great reminiscing mode this morning, revealing that Angela Rippon's nickname in the station was Tinsel Tits.

And here's how it sounded, thanks to David Lloyd's Radio Moments....

https://audioboom.com/posts/487753-lbc-launch-day

• Advertisement

Can't listen to Shelia Forgery anymore. "...My intuition on this is, and there lots of evidence for my intuition...", she was saying on Friday, is typical of the kind of unnecessary blabbering she goes on with. Even when she has a guest on rather than a caller she can't seem to shut up for 5 seconds but to treat us all to her 'thoughts' on the issue. Definite case of verbal diarrhea if ever there was one. I realize you need a bit of that doing radio but not that much. Can't think of anyone else I'd turn off except maybe for Matthew Stalin when he's being as sanctimonious as possible although other times he's good enough, usually when he doesn't have a particular ideological opinion on the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

AllForIt wrote: »
    Can't listen to Shelia Forgery anymore. "...My intuition on this is, and there lots of evidence for my intuition...", she was saying on Friday, is typical of the kind of unnecessary blabbering she goes on with. Even when she has a guest on rather than a caller she can't seem to shut up for 5 seconds but to treat us all to her 'thoughts' on the issue. Definite case of verbal diarrhea if ever there was one. I realize you need a bit of that doing radio but not that much. Can't think of anyone else I'd turn off except maybe for Matthew Stalin when he's being as sanctimonious as possible although other times he's good enough, usually when he doesn't have a particular ideological opinion on the topic at hand.

She's normally alright but she does have a bad day every now and again. Has strong feminist views too. She does seem to get good guests though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I’m usually out after JOB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

Some crack the ones looking for compo on the consumer show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

The caller from the north roaring and shouting about being sick of the Tories comical

• Advertisement

LBC have mixed things up a bit.

I'm glad Matthew Stadlin is gone from his 1am slot after 4 years. He says on Twitter that it was his decision and got tired of the 1am slot but I don't believe him. He was just so righteous all the time and used any excuse he could think to talk about racism and on a number of occasions called his callers 'racist' when they took the trouble to ring his show. His show had become very tired and I'm not surprised he's gone. I'd stopped tuning in to him ages ago. So predictable the topics he'd choose.

Not sure Clive Bull is a great replacement though. I would have hoped they'd find someone new, someone with more of a sense of humour than deadly serious for a late night show.

Speaking of sense of humour, Cristo Foufas who Matthew Stadlin replaced 4 years ago is now on talkradio at 10pm every week night. Does some lighthearted topics which is a bit of a relief. Really like his show. Wildly disagree with him sometimes but he's good fun all the same.

Andrew Pierce seems to be gone as well. Maybe a bit to right-wingy for some but I liked him all the same. Feisty character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Andrew Pierce seems to be gone as well. Maybe a bit to right-wingy for some but I liked him all the same. Feisty character.[/QUOTE]

Andrew Pierce is on friday at 6pm to 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Andrew Pierce seems to be gone as well. Maybe a bit to right-wingy for some but I liked him all the same. Feisty character.

Andrew Pierce is on friday at 6pm to 9pm[/QUOTE]

Feisty Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

AllForIt wrote: »
    LBC have mixed things up a bit.

I'm glad Matthew Stadlin is gone from his 1am slot after 4 years. He says on Twitter that it was his decision and got tired of the 1am slot but I don't believe him. He was just so righteous all the time and used any excuse he could think to talk about racism and on a number of occasions called his callers 'racist' when they took the trouble to ring his show. His show had become very tired and I'm not surprised he's gone. I'd stopped tuning in to him ages ago. So predictable the topics he'd choose.

Not sure Clive Bull is a great replacement though. I would have hoped they'd find someone new, someone with more of a sense of humour than deadly serious for a late night show.

Speaking of sense of humour, Cristo Foufas who Matthew Stadlin replaced 4 years ago is now on talkradio at 10pm every week night. Does some lighthearted topics which is a bit of a relief. Really like his show. Wildly disagree with him sometimes but he's good fun all the same.

Clive Bull did overnights for LBC in the 90s as a very humorous show. Fact is he's doing the format now the way LBC want it done as global style is to focus relentlessly on 1 or 2 topics all day and all night

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

GSF wrote: »
    Clive Bull did overnights for LBC in the 90s as a very humorous show. Fact is he's doing the format now the way LBC want it done as global style is to focus relentlessly on 1 or 2 topics all day and all night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPJK2zKtAxQ

Advertisement