Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockpit left unattended on Jet Airways flight

Options
  • 09-01-2018 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems pretty harsh to terminate the FO if she was assaulted and she wasn't the one who left the controls unattended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

She was not the FO, she was the Captain, PIC if I recall . Not privy to all the facts but to me it seems unfair for her to get the sack here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Didnt this happen before on Air India 3/4 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I'm told that in India it's a cultural thing that if someone feels extremely offended they whip out the palm so this is perhaps a bit more normal in their culture than in ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

1123heavy wrote: »
    I'm told that in India it's a cultural thing that if someone feels extremely offended they whip out the palm so this is perhaps a bit more normal in their culture than in ours.

Your probably right about this being a cultural thing, but at the same time, it's totally acceptable behaviour generally and no more so than in a live aircraft cockpit.

I'd love to know why the PIC, who appears to have been the "injured party" and the victim of assault was also dismissed. Perhaps the full facts will be established in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Do we have any idea what preceded the slapping incident? It's unlikely the one pilot slapped the other just for the hell of it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Slightly off topic and very much tongue in cheek, a long time ago, while chatting with an older 747 Captain while waiting for the torture of the Class 1 renewal at Brickens, he made the comment " With these new fangled machines now, I could die 30 seconds after take off, and no f****er would notice until 20 minutes before landing in New York".

Times have changed, there was a time when one or other member of the flight crew had to have their hands on the controls for the entire flight, and if they didn't, the stability of the aircraft would very soon remind them of their neglect. I'm not advocating that the flight deck should not be attended, but the role of the crew has very much changed, and monitoring that the computers are producing the expected flight path and result is very much the role now. As to the psychological effects of having a lot more "slack" time on the flight deck, that's a subject for another thread and time, suffice to say that modern long haul flying is nothing like as intense or complex as it used to be, and maybe this incident is a product of some of that change.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Do we have any idea what preceded the slapping incident? It's unlikely the one pilot slapped the other just for the hell of it!

they were in a relationship. being realistic, it wouldnt be the first time a woman was treated like sh*it by a male in certain cultures in that part of the world, so its not as surprising as you think.

ive worked over there and women are not held in as high regard as they are here by some people, even amongest women themselves. some of the things youd hear, even basic day to day living are simply appaling and would make you sick just seeing whats acceptable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement