Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Based HTPC

• 09-01-2018 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have had a HTPC now for many a year. A HP N40 serving up plex to an old Roku and Intel i7.

The Roku is dead however and I want to use the i7 for what I originally bought it for - home security.

Therefore I have a gap for my client devices
    Where I need two clients.

What I use the client for :
    Netflix
    Plex
    Slingplayer.
    Tv Services such as BBC via a VPN on odd occasion.

The world seems to have moved to Android boxes and Kodi however I must say I've always really not liked Kodi I've tried it many a time.
    I prefer to use a Windows machine for following reasons

Plex client can download the tv episode etc from the server locally and I can even open this in VLC - this is handy if having issues . Often I've seen Plex have the video go out sync with audio but when I grab it from server on the Windows PC and open it with VLC it all works.

Issues with subtitles I can again resolve locally with VLC and windows.

Can easily set up windows shares and use system on network or activate VPN and hit up services like BBC Iplayer.

With that I was looking at windows boxes:
    The Nuc and the Minix Neo Z83 , wondering are there any others out there I should be considering or even should I just be using a streaming stick these days , maybe the limitations I pointed out can be overcome

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you want to have windows based mini pc's, don't go for anything that is essentially like an android box, but with windows instead. You'll have issues with patching and updating the OS.

Going for a NUC may be the better option. I'm unsure what else is available in that small form factor segment these days. I don't think they are as popular as they used to be about 8-10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

If you want to have windows based mini pc's, don't go for anything that is essentially like an android box, but with windows instead. You'll have issues with patching and updating the OS.

Going for a NUC may be the better option. I'm unsure what else is available in that small form factor segment these days. I don't think they are as popular as they used to be about 8-10 years ago.

Thanks have been reading about issues with minix z83 with Windows updates hogging cpu and installing updates filling drive

That said they have a new box out with expandable storage options which might be cheaper than nuc @€;257

http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.ie/2017/12/a-brief-look-at-minix-neo-n42c-4.html?m=1

Advertisement