Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Sheeran tickets (what to do?) *Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options
  • 09-01-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys.
    I bought 2 tickets to ed Sheeran this summer. I can’t go anymore because something came up but Ticketmaster don’t do refunds and I can’t sell them on without giving someone a copy of my credit card. Anyone have any idea what I can do? Or do I just have to take the loss? I’m not trying to make a profit on them just get the money back that I paid for them. It’s good that touts can’t buy them and sell them on for double the price but for people who genuinely can’t go to lose out on that much money isn’t very fair either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

These days can anybody actually do anything with a photocopy of your credit card?

I think in the Ed Sheeran thread somebody contacted TM and they said you only needed to have the first few or last few digits visible. i.e. you can photocopy it with tape laid over some numbers or scribble out/cut out after.

There was some talk of a family name so I am not sure if that is necessary, but it was definitely discussed a lot in the thread, towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Sheeran is using Twickets in the Uk to resell his tickets ,but of course there is no such mechanism in Ireland for resale though.
    Irish people will be left in the lurch by nice guy Ed .

He expects to sell his tickets almost 12 months in advance of the gigs and then try to implement his ridiculous and not to mention illegal terms with absolutely no mechanism for resale.
    There has to be some mechanism for resale at face value .
    Ed doesnt care ,he has the money in the bank gaining interest.

There wont be any ID checks ,its all just an idle threat ,and as for checking credit cards on the gate ,why didn't he just make it credit card entry ,and not bother confusing people.
    Bring ticket ,credit card used ,ID ,may as well have asked for a stool sample while he was at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

We're only allowing partial order sales of Ed Sheeran tickets (ie the original purchaser has to attend the event). This is to ensure there is no problems at the door for people buying tickets. There's been various bits of speculation etc as to what will happen regards ID checks at the venue but until there is a clear press release communication saying the checks won't happen we have to assume they will (and currently the Ticketmaster page says ID is required along with the credit card/photocopy). I'd be very surprised if they don't roll this back when the true scale of the issue becomes apparent closer to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

The only time I have heard of the ID restriction actually being enforced was for a few paperless gigs like Iron Maiden in 3arena and Kasabian in Olympia.

Never been enforced in any venue when there are paper tickets involved, not even for smaller venues like Olympia.
    (they started off doing it for a few people at Radiohead, but gave up very quick when they realised how many people were held up in the queue.)
    The chances of them enforcing it for 80k people at Croker? Very slim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Burn them and be thankful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'd rather see Bob Mortimers version.

DTGHHRCWAAAA_fU.jpg

Mr.S wrote: »

I'm all for anti-tout measures, but matching credit cards to tickets for standalone gigs is OTT. It causes more problems while trying to solve one.

I don't see how you can really match credit cards to tickets ,its surely a huge security breach if you are storing peoples credit card numbers .
    How are they going to check the credit card number ,a big notepad of numbers is it ,era its complete nonsense really.

Is it even legal to try and implement these restrictions whilst having no resale for face value mechanism ?
    It sounds illegal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Toutless are not permitting the sale of tickets for this unless original buyer is also attending. If you get refused admission, you are stuck.

Also adverts.ie is not allowing them either.

Twickets do it in the UK as they are integrated into the ticketing system so they can be given a scan of tickets, verify them, cancel them and reissue them in the new name. They charge both sides for that service (about the same as another TM handling/booking fee)and the buyer doesn't get paid until after the event.

We can't provide that service currently. Ticketmaster could if they chose to as they've already that apparatus in Getmein. It would just be a trick of limiting the price to face value. I can imagine they don't want to set that precedence though. Also Twickets is a commercial venture with millions of pounds in investment and the Ed Sheeran partnership is likely something that had contracts with money involved on both sides which probably excludes other people offering the service.

So in short Sheeran's team chose a company that can only provide the function in a particular geographical region, the only people who could do it here either don't want to or can't. I actually believe Sheeran's team simply overlooked Ireland and weren't aware Twickets doesn't operate here. Twickets haven't regged a .ie yet so I don't think they're planning a secret launch here between now and the event though maybe that's the plan. I reckon when the stink begins to grow a bit there'll be some sort of announcement that the restrictions are lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Zardoz wrote: »
    Sheeran is using Twickets in the Uk to resell his tickets ,but of course there is no such mechanism in Ireland for resale though.
    Irish people will be left in the lurch by nice guy Ed .

He expects to sell his tickets almost 12 months in advance of the gigs and then try to implement his ridiculous and not to mention illegal terms with absolutely no mechanism for resale.
    There has to be some mechanism for resale at face value .
    Ed doesnt care ,he has the money in the bank gaining interest.

There wont be any ID checks ,its all just an idle threat ,and as for checking credit cards on the gate ,why didn't he just make it credit card entry ,and not bother confusing people.
    Bring ticket ,credit card used ,ID ,may as well have asked for a stool sample while he was at it.

This is mental. Absolutely mental.

The whole objective of this is that people didn't get stung by touts buying up loads of tickets and forcing people to pay over the odds.

Ed gets paid the same either way, so if he genuinely didn't care, they'd have just gone ahead and released tickets without restrictions and let it be a free-for-all like most acts do.

This isn't illegal, in fact everyone who bought a ticket explicitly signed up to these terms. It's unfortunate if some people are genuinely stuck with tickets, but it's a small price to pay for clamping down on touting. The tiny number in that situation would have been absolutely dwarfed by the numbers unable to get face-value tickets if touts had been in on it.

I'm delighted this is happening and I wish more acts would do it.

If something like Twickets can be brought in here, great, but until more acts bring in restrictions, the economy of scale won't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Jenn_

Did anyone manage to find a way of selling or getting refunds on their Ed Sheeran tickets?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Jenn_ wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to find a way of selling or getting refunds on their Ed Sheeran tickets?!

no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Odd just how many people seem to be posting here with Ed Sheeran tickets that they've suddenly realised that they now can't go to the shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

kmurph wrote: »
    Odd just how many people seem to be posting here with Ed Sheeran tickets that they've suddenly realised that they now can't go to the shows.

Not really, I take it you are implying they are potential touts?

Hundrends of thousands of tickets were sold for the irish gigs, a panic was deliberately created about buying them. The concerts were a long way away, few knew what their plans would be. All makes perfect sense to me, not odd at all that a percentage would have unwanted ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

rubadub wrote: »

Hundrends of thousands of tickets were sold for the irish gigs, a panic was deliberately created about buying them. The concerts were a long way away, few knew what their plans would be. All makes perfect sense to me, not odd at all that a percentage would have unwanted ones.

Things change a lot in a year

rubadub wrote: »

Yes, but I wonder how many people said, "I don't know for sure if I'll be free that night, I'd better not buy one". Approximately zero I'd say.

I wonder how many people just bought tickets and said, "sure if I can't go, I'll figure something out", or just didn't consider the restrictions at all. A lot more, I would say.

I wonder how many bought Missed Event insurance. Very few probably.

If we're serious about driving out touting, or even the "genuine fan buying two for myself, two to sell at a profit" which is far more prevalent, then these systems are absolutely necessary.

If we're serious about driving out touting, or even the "genuine fan buying two for myself, two to sell at a profit" which is far more prevalent, then these systems are absolutely necessary.

Twickets are reselling tickets for people in the Uk for face value and it works well .
    There is no official method for resale in Ireland and that is simply unacceptable.

Nice guy Ed announced these gigs almost 10 months in advance,it was a huge cash grab by him and the promoters did their usual tricks to get people to panic buy .
    The sold out at 9.01 nonsense ,the faulty queuing system ,the no tickets available yet loads appear hours later ,the pretend sold out nonsense.

People were so desperate to get tickets ,that people bought different cities to their own just to get a seat.
    Then at noon the day the tickets went on sale lo and behold loads more appear.

Extra gigs added then in Cork and Dublin just to saturate the market more .

The whole ticket selling mechanism is inherently corrupt.

Twickets are reselling tickets for people in the Uk for face value and it works well .
    There is no official method for resale in Ireland and that is simply unacceptable.

Nice guy Ed announced these gigs almost 10 months in advance,it was a huge cash grab by him and the promoters did their usual tricks to get people to panic buy .
    The sold out at 9.01 nonsense ,the faulty queuing system ,the no tickets available yet loads appear hours later ,the pretend sold out nonsense.

People were so desperate to get tickets ,that people bought different cities to their own just to get a seat.
    Then at noon the day the tickets went on sale lo and behold loads more appear.

Extra gigs added then in Cork and Dublin just to saturate the market more .

The whole ticket selling mechanism is inherently corrupt.

Ah in fairness, this is serious conspiracy theory stuff.

One man's "to saturate the market" is another man's "to satisfy demand", it depends on whether you've already got a ticket or not.

It was abundantly clear well in advance that there would be no re-selling of tickets. All the T&C were made available long before anyone bought a single ticket. If anyone objected to the absence of re-selling, then they were absolutely free not to buy a ticket.

This conversation happens every time a band tries to bring in anti-touting measures; it's everyone else's fault except the guy who didn't read the t&c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’s not as if this is a surprise. The terms and conditions were clearly outlined at the time of sale.

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness, this is serious conspiracy theory stuff.

Conspiracy theory stuff is it now ,that is how tickets are sold .
    It was abundantly clear well in advance that there would be no re-selling of tickets.

No it was not .
    Twickets are the official reseller.
    Twickets have teamed up with Ed Sheeran to allow ticket holders who can no longer attend a gig to sell them on to other fans at no more than the price they originally paid.

People were told that they could resell their unwanted tickets for face value on Twickets.

This is what Nice Guy Ed had to say
    Hey...for this tour I've teamed up with a company called Twickets - which is a safe, sensible and fair place for people to sell or buy any spare tickets they have for the shows. Via Twickets, everything is at face value (or less), so you're protected against fraud and hideous overpricing.

The only problem is Twickets dont operate in Ireland so people here are left in the lurch.

I couldn't care less myself ,I wouldn't cross the road to see the guy but this whole thing has been handled very poorly .
    I'm not even sure if the terms and restrictions attached to the tickets are entirely legal .

Ah in fairness, this is serious conspiracy theory stuff. .
    Which bit(s) do you think are conspiracy theories? What is your definition of a conspiracy theory?
    Conspiracy theory stuff it is now ,that is how tickets are sold .
    I don't think there is any conspiracy theory going on. By conspiracy theory I take it to mean something extremely secretive and difficult to prove etc.

On the contrary I think the sneaky & deplorable marketing tactics they use are completely out in the open!, it is easily shown. In some thread I posted an admittedly long list of tickets available and got many bad reactions, in others I have posted smaller samples of what is currently available -just to have a record in time of what was available, rather than hear say. So people can go back and verify that yes, they are quite openly and blatantly deliberately holding back better tickets. I know people who got pretty poor tickets to gigs in 3arena and were moved into better seats when they got there by ushers, to seats in large sections which obviously did not sell.

I post on, and monitor, many threads here for gigs I have no interest in going to. I do so to monitor the sales tricks so when a gig does come up I want to go to then I will know what they are likely up to and what to do. e.g. last ticket I bought was for the stones. I knew the www1 trick and so got in and got it. If I did not get one on day 1 I would have held off buying.

I wanted a regular standing ticket which apparently "sold out" very quickly, in the thread I was even making a point of saying "not currently on sale" saying that does not mean sold out. Since then the (very unusually) relatively cheap standing tickets have appeared back on sale several times. Many were pissed off as they fell for it and bought crappy seats at near twice the price as they figured the standing were gone.

Sheeran/TM held off on the fact he was playing a saturday, they obviously knew in advance. The bigger fans bought the weekday tickets. It makes sense to sell tickets in this manner, it is very sneaky & sly, but it makes sense, and is certainly not like they simply rolled some dice about which day to sell first. It is obviously very calculated and many would find these tactics highly objectionable. All legal of course, but sickening to many. Just because something is not illegal does not make you a prize cnut to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Hi guys, I don’t want to post too much info here because I know the mods have deleted similar in a post previous, but I want to swap the tickets I have for another city but I don’t know where to advertise? I’m genuine in that the date really doesn’t suit and I want to swap but Adverts won’t allow my post and it’s still awaiting verification on Donedeal so I’m not sure if they’ll allow it either. Where else can I put it? I’m not trying to make money I just want a straight swap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi guys, I don’t want to post too much info here because I know the mods have deleted similar in a post previous, but I want to swap the tickets I have for another city but I don’t know where to advertise? I’m genuine in that the date really doesn’t suit and I want to swap but Adverts won’t allow my post and it’s still awaiting verification on Donedeal so I’m not sure if they’ll allow it either. Where else can I put it? I’m not trying to make money I just want a straight swap

I reckon your best off advertising on facebook or something ? Maybe you have already

Hope you get sorted !

Did you try ticketmast for a refund b

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Canyon86 wrote: »
    I reckon your best off advertising on facebook or something ? Maybe you have already

Hope you get sorted !

Did you try ticketmast for a refund b

Might try some of the event pages on a Facebook maybe! Would they entertain a refund?

Conspiracy theory stuff is it now ,that is how tickets are sold .

No it was not .
    Twickets are the official reseller.

People were told that they could resell their unwanted tickets for face value on Twickets.

This is what Nice Guy Ed had to say

The only problem is Twickets dont operate in Ireland so people here are left in the lurch.

I couldn't care less myself ,I wouldn't cross the road to see the guy but this whole thing has been handled very poorly .
    I'm not even sure if the terms and restrictions attached to the tickets are entirely legal .

They are legal and everyone was made fully aware of them before purchase.

Those quotes you slipped in refer to the UK tour.

But you knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

How are people selling these tickets on Facebook etc ?

We can't attend the gig, but if ID or a CC are needed for admission we won't be able to even give them away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

Just to throw in here, my sister in law went to the Adele gig last year in the UK, it was the same set up with tickets etc, and there wasnt even a mention of having the credit card upon entry, as other posters have said, its just idle threats to stop touting.

Toast wrote: »
    Twickets do it in the UK as they are integrated into the ticketing system so they can be given a scan of tickets, verify them, cancel them and reissue them in the new name. They charge both sides for that service (about the same as another TM handling/booking fee)and the buyer doesn't get paid until after the event.

From a quick look at Twickets ,they are not reissuing the tickets for Sheeran.
    The original buyer sends the tickets directly to the new buyer and they also get some email from Twickets reassigning the tickets .
    Something similar could be done here easily enough .

• Advertisement

They've done the ticket reissuing system before in the past. Just some sort of magic email thumbs up seems like a stupid system but the entire implementation of the restriction is a pigs ear anyway. It doesn't change the fact they've gotten the blessing from Sheeran's crowd to do this which we haven't. Feel free to print out "Toast from Toutless says this is ok" on a piece of paper if you wish but I can't guarantee you won't be laughed at by some bouncers if you try and use it.

Advertisement