Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unoccupied House Questions !!

Options
  • 09-01-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

I'm a long time reader (or stalker depending on your point of view!!) but have only just joined. I've looking for some general advice / opinions on leaving my house unoccupied. The situation is as follows:

I'm married with 3 children.
    Husband and I own our house (with a mortgage) in Wicklow. In November my husband was offered a new job in Canada which he has accepted and now we are in the process of packing up etc. We are leaving in mid February.

We had considered renting out the house but have ultimately decided against that as we would be concerned getting a bad tenant, damage to the house, non payment of rent and not being able to get rid of the tenant if it came to that!!

So our plan at the moment is to leave the house unoccupied for now and then in about 1 year we would know whether we want to remain in Canada or not and then either sell it or return home again.

If the house is unoccupied would we need a different type of house insurance? If so, what type?

We will be keeping an electricity supply at the house would it be better to remain with Electric Ireland and continue paying by direct debit or would a pre pay provider be better? I have checked online and it appears that you can top up via an app from anywhere in the world.

We would keep the house heated via the oil timer. How many hours a day would the heat need to be on? It's a 4 bedroom semi-detached house. What would be the best way to have the timer set up i.e come on a a set number of hours in one go or stagger them through out the day / night?

What type of alarm should we get?

The furniture and household appliances will be remaining in the house, should they be covered?

Anything else that I should consider when leaving the house unoccupied?

Other information which may or may not be relevant to the thread - we purchased the house during the property crash and as a result we have a very small mortgage. We're paying just under €250 per month which is the only reason we have the option of leaving the house unoccupied. If we were to sell the house now we would make a nice profit, however we don't want to do that yet as if Canada doesn't work out for us we would be paying very high rents on our return or taking out a much larger mortgage.

My family live nearby so they will be key holders and will regularly check on the house for us. It's a small estate of approximately 75 houses. It's nice and quite and there has never been any issues in the estate (fingers crossed!).

Any advice / opinions gratefully received

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You will need a specific type of insurance as most regular home policies stipulate that your home is not unoccupied for more than 30 days per year.

I insured an unoccupied house with this company, their quote was lower than any others I could find, but be aware, insuring an unoccupied house is a lot more expensive than an occupied one for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WicklowGyrl

davo10 wrote: »
    You will need a specific type of insurance as most regular home policies stipulate that your home is not unoccupied for more than 30 days per year.

I insured an unoccupied house with this company, their quote was lower than any others I could find, but be aware, insuring an unoccupied house is a lot more expensive than an occupied one for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your reply. Would you remember the name of the insurance company you used? (I don't know if you're allowed to mention companies by name on boards, so if not sorry!!)

Thanks for your reply. Would you remember the name of the insurance company you used? (I don't know if you're allowed to mention companies by name on boards, so if not sorry!!)

Ah sorry, meant to post link.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you a sibling or cousin or similar to could live in it while you are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Realistically I would examine renting it. Or at least a family member living there.

You would be throwing money away for a year . But also leaving the house vunerable.

Of the handful of bad tenant stories you read on boards there are hundreds of thousands of good tenants these boards cast a bad light on renting.

My buddy rented a house from his partners sister in law for a year whilst they saved for their own home.she also went to Canada. And recently decided to sell the house up. My buddy has closed on their own home nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Hi, I have a friend in a similar position to yourself, he didn't want the hassle of renting out the house so he has a friend who he knows and trusts living in the house rent free. So the house is looked after, the lad staying in the house covers all the bills etc and gets a free house for a while, 2 years at this stage. It's an option if you know someone who might fit the bill and is renting somewhere.

Op I understand completely your rationale. Renting out your home is very different from renting out a property bought specifically for that purpose. The items in your home are much more valuable both emotionally and financially. Also, if the move doesn't work out, then you have to option of moving straight back into your house. The worst case scenario is that you move home and either can't get the tenant out, the tenant knowing you are abroad stops paying rent, or the tenant trashes your belongings. If you can afford it, leave it unoccupied, you'll be able to come home and use it in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Would you think about a house sitter? If you use one of the main house sitting websites you can choose someone with references from other assignments they have been on. Much like Airbnb they would have no rights to remain in your house should you choose to terminate.

Plenty of people would give their right arm for free rent for a year. You get peace of mind that the house is kept in order and you also have the flexibility of asking them to temporarily leave if you want to come back for holidays in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is there any way you can find a ‘caretaker’, a trusted person who could live in the property, perhaps just paying for the utilities? This person would have no rights as a tenant.

One part of this is that it is a pity to leave a house vacant at a time like this when there is such a shortage.

It is also just hard to guarantee the safety of a house that is completely unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It’s also very risky leaving a house empty for a year. The empty property will be noticed and could be targeted. I think it would be best if you could get a family member or close friend to live in there, at least part-time

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone for your replies.

My brothers and sisters all have their own houses and the oldest of my nieces and nephews is only 15 so that rules them out!! Of my cousins the few that I would be close with are not currently in need of a house. On my husbands side he is an only child as was his father and his mother had only one sister and she and her family live in Australia. So they are also ruled out.

Just so we look at all our options, if we were to look at using a caretaker would there be any tax liability on us? How would you find someone looking for such an arrangement? Also, would a estate management company take care on an empty house - the thought has just popped into my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, would a estate management company take care on an empty house - the thought has just popped into my head?
    They'd probably rent the place out.

Is your house near anything nice? Maybe check with your insurance company if it'd class AirBnB lettings as having your house "occupied"?

=-=

If it were empty for a year, a certain group may drain your oil tank dry, and may take all the copper in your house whilst they're doing it.

Could you find someone brought work who might benefit from living in the house?

You are understandably nervous about this and the best thing is to find someone suitable through people you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

If you rent it through an agent on a 12 month lease you should be fairly safe, especially if a little below market rent to get the right tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,076 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tina1040 wrote: »
    If you rent it through an agent on a 12 month lease you should be fairly safe, especially if a little below market rent to get the right tenant.
    Tenant will get full tenancy rights after 6 months and then never want to leave because the rent is below market value.

I would airbnb it or use house sitting agency.

Unoccupied house insurance unlikely to cover contents or criminal damage e.g. arson or broken windows, both of which are a significant risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You will need to notify your insurer as soon as it becomes unoccupied if not, you are in breach of policy conditions.

Most insurers will allow a policy holder to amend the policy to unoccupied however in general they will reduce cover to fire, lightning and explosion only ie you would not be insured for flood / escape of water / malicious damage /theft.

Most will also have a condition that they will not cover contents in an unoccupied house and that you must turn off the electricity and water supply at the mains.

Ive heard a number of ads for Quote Devil (they are a broker based in Dublin) saying that they now have a scheme specifically for unoccupied houses so it might be worth it to give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

RustyNut wrote: »
    Hi, I have a friend in a similar position to yourself, he didn't want the hassle of renting out the house so he has a friend who he knows and trusts living in the house rent free. So the house is looked after, the lad staying in the house covers all the bills etc and gets a free house for a while, 2 years at this stage.

Allowing someone sole access to your house or land for long periods of time without any contract or rent is asking for trouble. Your friend may find that his friend has a free house for quite a while if he's not careful!

the_syco wrote: »
    They'd probably rent the place out.

Is your house near anything nice? Maybe check with your insurance company if it'd class AirBnB lettings as having your house "occupied"?

=-=

If it were empty for a year, a certain group may drain your oil tank dry, and may take all the copper in your house whilst they're doing it.

We're just under a 15 minute walk from a beach and about a 20 minute drive from our nearest town. We hadn't considered AirBnB but we are going to look into now. We just want to consider all our options before making a decision.

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Allowing someone sole access to your house or land for long periods of time without any contract or rent is asking for trouble. Your friend may find that his friend has a free house for quite a while if he's not careful!

That's what we are afraid of as well!!

You will need to notify your insurer as soon as it becomes unoccupied if not, you are in breach of policy conditions.

Most insurers will allow a policy holder to amend the policy to unoccupied however in general they will reduce cover to fire, lightning and explosion only ie you would not be insured for flood / escape of water / malicious damage /theft.

Most will also have a condition that they will not cover contents in an unoccupied house and that you must turn off the electricity and water supply at the mains.

Ive heard a number of ads for Quote Devil (they are a broker based in Dublin) saying that they now have a scheme specifically for unoccupied houses so it might be worth it to give them a call.

Yesterday evening I contacted our insurance provider and asked about changing our cover and the quote was quite high!! Will definitely be looking for a better deal.

• Advertisement

We're just under a 15 minute walk from a beach and about a 20 minute drive from our nearest town.
    If on the west coast, you could attract surfers fishermen even on weekends not in the summer season.

Renting Airbnb is just a whole lot more risky and a lot more involved than having a tenant and far far more complex than a caretaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Renting Airbnb is just a whole lot more risky and a lot more involved than having a tenant and far far more complex than a caretaker.

How is that? Many people on here recommend it as a good alternative to regular renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We insured an unoccupied house a number of years ago and it was a nightmare.

Many companies were uninterested.
    Those that did wanted all water drained down and oil removed from the tank.

In the end we just didn’t bother and chanced it uninsured for 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Have you checked out MindMyHouse.com? It seems like a house sitter might suit.

Might be worth a look, even just for information. Talk to your solicitor re. an iron-clad contract between yourself and any sitters you hire. Also check with your insurance company. tbh I'd rather pay a bit more for peace of mind.

I would be very hesitant to just leave the house vacant. Word will get out and your house may be targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

the_syco wrote: »
    If on the west coast, you could attract surfers fishermen even on weekends not in the summer season.

Last I checked Wicklow would be on the east coast :D

How is that? Many people on here recommend it as a good alternative to regular renting.

Have these people ever really managed a short term letting business over a long period though? It is pretty hard work. There are a lot of things that can go really badly wrong. In a marginal location I don’t think there is much money to be made in it if you have to get someone in to do all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Last I checked Wicklow would be on the east coast :D
    Yeah, missed that one. But on the plus side, seems Wicklow can be good for surfing.

Is the house near Brittas Bay? I think that's meant to be good for surfing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

OP you could rent one room out in the house. Keep the other bedrooms locked.
    The tenant would be a licensee and would not gain full tenancy rights to the property and you could evict them without issues on your return.
    Their contract would state they have access to the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room. All other rooms are off limits and they no other person is permitted to live at the address.

You would be renting the room and not the house.
    The house remains occupied but you still might need different insurance.
    You should also look into buying a cheap car that you can leave in the driveway which will make the house look occupied anyway.

Advertisement