Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hinge for Attic door

• 09-01-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi. I am about to install a new 18mm plywood attic door. I am looking for a hinge that will not be seen from the landing when the door is closed. I originally had butt hinges but found that air leakage can occur from the attic on the hinged side. Something like a kitchen cabinet euro hinge would almost work but it would not allow the door to open fully I presume and would have weight restrictions.

Many thanks
    James
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Attic ladders and doors as a kit are so cheap nowadays, they’re sprung too and have a proper latch so they’ll stay closed and you can open them safely.

Assuming the door will be horizontal like an attic hatch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Attic ladders and doors as a kit are so cheap nowadays, they’re sprung too and have a proper latch so they’ll stay closed and you can open them safely.

Assuming the door will be horizontal like an attic hatch?

This exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kubrickhead

Thanks for the reply. I already have a ladder installed and have a catch installed on the existing door. I just want to make the hole bigger and hang a new door which drops open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Throw your ladder on the skip.

Get an all in one system its built to stop air as per it's design.

They can be got for 80 euro these days.

It's probably not worth it playing around with ply and crap hinges and it will still leak. You might say pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I used flush hinges on mine, installed like this

blog_header.jpg

Leaves a small gap but not as large as butt hinges would and are fairly unnoticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

listermint wrote: »
    Throw your ladder on the skip.

Get an all in one system its built to stop air as per it's design.

They can be got for these days.

It's probably not worth it playing around with ply and crap hinges and it will still leak. You might say pointless

Im interested, can you post a link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used flush hinges on mine, installed like this
    Leaves a small gap but not as large as butt hinges would and are fairly unnoticeable.
    Same here. Also, stainless steel hinges stand out less against a white ceiling or painted hatch frame. If you're leaving the attic door a natural wood colour then brass hinges will look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

beerbaron wrote: »
    Im interested, can you post a link ?

This kind of thing
    https://www.woodies.ie/diy/ladders/optistep-ola-loft-ladder-60-x120-1144850

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if you use the attic regularly pay the bit extra and get the more industrial one. the cheaper is ok for once a year visit but not for regular use

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I found a brand of attic ladders in Woodies, and went straight to them. Much better. Check out www.fakro.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement