Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare Card

Options
  • 09-01-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Are Irish people entitled to a Medicare card? I'm looking on the website and I think we may be but I just wanted to double check. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Are Irish people entitled to a Medicare card? I'm looking on the website and I think we may be but I just wanted to double check. Thanks!

If you are from the Republic of Ireland and on a working holiday visa then you are not entitled to it. If you are from Northern Ireland you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

People from the Republic of Ireland are entitled to it from the date they apply for permanent residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

punk_one82 wrote: »
    People from the Republic of Ireland are entitled to it from the date they apply for permanent residency.

That's true but in a previous post the OP stated they have recently arrived in Australia on a whv.

punk_one82 wrote: »

I’m having unreal hassle trying to get mine

My passport is rep of Ireland but as I moved here from uk im entitled to one.

I’ve lost my NI (national insurance) card from uk and they don’t reissue them so it’s a real pain.

I have applied for PR but had no idea that would entitle me to a Medicare card.

So you reckon I should just go in with my PR application details ? I’d say my PR is only weeks away so I may even wait for that to be issued and then go back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I’m having unreal hassle trying to get mine

My passport is rep of Ireland but as I moved here from uk im entitled to one.

I’ve lost my NI (national insurance) card from uk and they don’t reissue them so it’s a real pain.

I have applied for PR but had no idea that would entitle me to a Medicare card.

So you reckon I should just go in with my PR application details ? I’d say my PR is only weeks away so I may even wait for that to be issued and then go back in.

A person with an irish passport is entitled to medicare the second you submit your PR application, Just go into a medicare centre with the required documentation (easily found on their website) and they will send you an interim card. Immigration notify them when your PR comes through and you are then automatically sent a permanent one.

• Advertisement

Noo wrote: »
    A person with an irish passport is entitled to medicare the second you submit your PR application, Just go into a medicare centre with the required documentation (easily found on their website) and they will send you an interim card. Immigration notify them when your PR comes through and you are then automatically sent a permanent one.

This clarification will save me so so much hassle.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

aido79 wrote: »
    That's true but in a previous post the OP stated they have recently arrived in Australia on a whv.

I wasn't aware of OP's history, just answering the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

aido79 wrote: »
    If you are from the Republic of Ireland and on a working holiday visa then you are not entitled to it. If you are from Northern Ireland you are.

Technically that’s not 100% correct

RHCA is based on where you where resident before you come to Australia, if you are from ROI and only entitled to Irish Passport but were for example working in the UK (inc mainland) and could avail of the NHS as an ‘ordinarily resident’ then you can apply for Medicare in Australia.

It would be the same if you were an Irish citizen living as a resident in one of the other countries, as long as you could prove it then that’s where the agreement is.

Advertisement