Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim 10 mile - 4th February 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No change to the route, only kind of drag is when your turn left after passing Dunderry village heading back towards Trim. Fair route & great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Great race, signed up again this year - nowhere near fir enough to get near a pb but have done the all the previous races so need to keep the streak going. 
    Hearing that the race is nearing capacity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Great race, signed up again this year - nowhere near fir enough to get near a pb but have done the all the previous races so need to keep the streak going. 
    Hearing that the race is nearing capacity

Heard today that tee shirts are gone already, were only guaranteed to the first 1200 entries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Heard today that tee shirts are gone already, were only guaranteed to the first 1200 entries.

I entered a few days ago, and they were out of Medium t-shirts, but Small, Large, and XL were still available.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just signed up, did it last year a great race. Had to leave it lae this year as I may have had something on but free now.

• Advertisement

Only few places remaining.

Sold out folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Got Number and Long Sleeve Top in the post today :)

46min Ten miler from Espana running it apparently looking to blow the course record to bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

OOnegative wrote: »
    No change to the route, only kind of drag is when your turn left after passing Dunderry village heading back towards Trim. Fair route & great race.

At roughly what mile marker is this drag at? Thanks

• Advertisement

About 5 miles in, its nothing serious climb wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

See you tomorrow - finally ready to start tomorrow having skipped previous entries - this better be good!

Get the complaint out of the way first - twelve o'clock start should mean you start at twelve, not start getting people behind the line at twelve!

Other than that though, a very good race. Course is nice, some rolling but no long or steep hills, and good, closed roads. The start area is great for warming up, and lots of food at the finish line and the secret hall 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

good race,first half more downhill,second half more up hills

enjoyed it ,but its not up there with dungarvan,or tullamore half or longwood 3/4i

start area good for warm ups

but the difference between a good event and a great such as dungarvan is

no showers

whats the point of having a hall for post race refreshments that you cant find if you are not a local??

parking area though secure some 15/20 minute walk from hq? there seemed plenty of room in the business park

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There were refreshments?????

Loved the race. Great weather and great route. Will definitely be back.

Lots of parking. It was far away from start but that allowed for a nice warm up and cool down jog so I liked that. It also meant no congestion leaving.

Wasn't able to stay for refreshments but wouldn't have found them if didn't have a local with us anyway.

No drinks left at the finish by the time I got there. Apparently this was down to greed. If the bottles were in the goodie bags this wouldn't have been a problem. It also would have made the goodie bags seem more full! :pac:

No water at first station. I had read in last years thread that this was a problem then too so was expecting it, but might be something organisers could look into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Any link to results yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Dealerz wrote: »
    Any link to results yet?

https://www.popupraces.ie/race-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

yes popupraces.ie

good points re parking on reflection.no congestion ,but it was a bit of awalk!

secret refreshments though !"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Bananaleaf wrote: »

No drinks left at the finish by the time I got there. Apparently this was down to greed. If the bottles were in the goodie bags this wouldn't have been a problem. It also would have made the goodie bags seem more full! :pac:

No water at first station. I had read in last years thread that this was a problem then too so was expecting it, but might be something organisers could look into

Yeah the Lucozade sport and protein milks were being fairly scalped by some people when I was at the finish.......

charkee wrote: »
    secret refreshments though !"

Ask maybe, it wasn't a secret, if you were unsure where they were there was plenty of marshals or Trim AC runners who would have told you where the hall was.

You can't ask about what you know nothing about though.

quickbeam wrote: »
    You can't ask about what you know nothing about though.

Nally's SuperValu Trim 10 Mile Road Race
    Join us on 4th Feb, 2018 at 12 noon for our 4th annual Trim 10 mile road race, this year kindly sponsored by Nally's SuperValu Trim. This excellent 10 mile road race has gone from strength to strength each year, with over 1200 participants in 2017. The route is on quiet, rural roads starting just off the Athboy Road in Trim, heading out to Dunderry, across into Kilbride and arriving back in Trim, finishing in Oaktree Business Park. The mainly flat route gives a good opportunity to get a 10 mile PB.
    What you can expect:
    • Fast 10 mile course on quiet roads
    • Technical long sleeved running top
    • Goody bag
    • Post-race refreshments
    • Race pacers
    • Generous cash pot for category and team prizes
    • AAI approved event
    From the race website.

That could easily have referred to the water that was meant to be available at the end. And yet when I asked a steward about it she only said it had all gone. No suggestion about getting an alternative in their secret hideout.

I thought the finish line stuff was everything too (and there were some great cakes there), but as I was leaving I heard the guy on the PA talk about the parish hall. I was the second person there and there was only a slow trickle of people arriving. It was on the way to the OPW car park so maybe more people found it as they left...

No the refreshments DEFINITELY WEREN'T a secret in fairness. If people had read their pre-race info email they would know about this.

There was something mentioned about them in an email I got and it was 100% clear that they were separate to the finish line drinks, because it also mentioned that they had hoped to have tea/coffee for those not coming in for refreshments.

I'll look for the email now and edit to post the relevant part.

Edit: From the PRE-RACE BRIEF info emailed to us during the week:
    Once you have collected your goodie bag, you can make your way to St. Patrick's Diocesan Hall,
    Loman Street, Trim for refreshments. We will hold the awards presentations here. We hope to have
    a tea/coffee vendor at the finish line for those who do not wish to go to the hall after the race.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hi all, some good feedback there which we will definitely take on board.

As regards drinks at the end - yes people took multiple drinks which unfortunately left later finishers without. Real shame that people can happy take multiple items, but at the same time lesson learned for us. Agree with the point on putting the water actually into the goody bag, we will recommend this for next time. Water station #1 was an issue again with stocks of water, this I can categorically state will be top priority to get sorted next year.

I did a race info doc which went to every runner in advance of the race, this had the details of hall and parking etc., I think sometimes these end up in peoples' spam folders though. We did try to give as much information as possible on social media as to where everything was.

Re. parking in the business park - we want to totally avoid this as it is simply not safe. It is easy to say there seems to be plenty of room, but it was not good last year when we allowed cars all the way down to the race HQ. As someone pointed out above, keeping cars out of that area meant we had a safe, clear warm up area between HQ and start line. We secured the OPW car park this year, which while about a 10 min jog, is a super facility with plenty of space and proper parking spaces. The layout of the town and the start/finish unfortunately does not lend itself well to having everything close together so we do what we can.

Re. comparisons with other races - hopefully we'll build up to match the biggest and best, but we have to walk before we can run (excuse the pun). We're just 4 years old and sold out this year with 1500 entrants. Our aim has always been to provide a top quality race at great value and we'll keep working to provide that.

Hope you all enjoyed it aside from any negative points, thanks for coming and hope we'll see you all again in 2019!

I genuinely thought it was a great event, Paulo, as I mentioned in my training log. I even got the email with the instructions, and duly parked in the OPW as instructed. My fault for not noticing the bit about the refreshments. Thought the steward could still have directed me there when I inquired at the finish line.

• Advertisement

I would like to agree with Ray on the race start time. 5 minutes was not bad in today's conditions but we could easily have had worse weather which would then make it an issue. The first water station didn't bother me as I will always skip it in a race and today I didn't take any water on during the race.

Everything else is just icing. Providing a safe race with a deep field was done in spades.

It is a pleasure to run on closed roads and be able to attack the racing line without having to worry about traffic.

Advertisement