Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim 10 mile - 4th February 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks for that. Yes start delayed a bit, not quite sure for reason, but traffic management is difficult at the start as we have to block traffic at both ends of that main route for a spell and getting it coordinated is difficult. We'll definitely look at that aspect for next year also.

Closed roads was new for this year and we'll definitely try for that again for future events. Makes a huge difference esp for the front of pack runners, got great feedback on that element of it.

Any other feedback feel free to either post on here or PM me, will do my best to make note and bring to the committee. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oh yeah, it looks like the start caught the lead car by surprise too!

Again, I think it was a very good race overall, this is just something small that could be improved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Enjoyed the race yesterday. Nice course helped by great weather. Saw a good few people horsing multiple drinks into their supervalu bags at the end which was pretty inconsiderate and greedy.
    One other bug bare- people running through the countryside, getting a bottle from a drinks station and f***ing it into the ditch a mile down the road.....grrrrrrr. Would love to see a race handing out DQ's for this or even make an announcement that they will hand them out to act as a deterrent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

sideswipe wrote: »
    Enjoyed the race yesterday. Nice course helped by great weather. Saw a good few people horsing multiple drinks into their supervalu bags at the end which was pretty inconsiderate and greedy.
    One other bug bare- people running through the countryside, getting a bottle from a drinks station and f***ing it into the ditch a mile down the road.....grrrrrrr. Would love to see a race handing out DQ's for this or even make an announcement that they will hand them out to act as a deterrent.

Totally agree, and we might go back to cups because of that very reason. We did multiple sweeps after the race and had club volunteers who had been working all day from 8am (and also club members who had ran the race) climbing into ditches to pick up people's bottles even empty gel wrappers. Can't understand how people would throw them into ditches rather than just drop them where they can be easily picked up.

All learning for us as race organisers - people like to have bottles as they are easy to carry for a bit, but they only work in places like urban roads/parks where they can be easily seen and picked up afterwards. I personally think cups are the way to go for water stations on rural roads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

But wouldn't the same eejits that throw the bottles into ditches just throw the cups just the same? Or would the difference be that the cups are biodegradable or something?

Gotta say, from the pacers, marshals and anyone else out helping they were all fantastic, encouraging, friendly. Kudos to them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

paulomn

enjoyed it overall well done

re refreshments at end of race

simple directions for loman st from stewards or signs on the way back to opw car park would help
    have a good memory but trying to remember a map after a race is difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

sideswipe wrote: »
    ..grrrrrrr. Would love to see a race handing out DQ's for this or even make an announcement that they will hand them out to act as a deterrent.

I know one grumpy focker who does....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I’ve always carried bottles and gel wrappers until the next mile marker and left them at that, can’t understand people who 1: drop them right under their own feet for others to have to avoid and 2: throw them into ditches and surrounding gardens.

quickbeam wrote: »
    But wouldn't the same eejits that throw the bottles into ditches just throw the cups just the same? Or would the difference be that the cups are biodegradable or something?

Gotta say, from the pacers, marshals and anyone else out helping they were all fantastic, encouraging, friendly. Kudos to them all.

Cups can't be carried far, so the cleanup is a lot easier. Bottles carried for miles and fecked in ditches, then they need to be emptied.

Glad you enjoyed it otherwise, great day for it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Also Cups can't be thrown far and are more environmentally friendly and less wasted water. I actually prefer them in races as you don't generally need to drink a full bottle of water, so just a mouthful or 2 from a cup is fine for me once you learn how to drink from them on the run.

• Advertisement

Super photos too! Sent to email, for anybody who's emails get sent to spam and haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Great race, great start to the year. How do ye do that with the weather nearly all 4 years now, baltic but beautiful!!! Cant fault the organisation at all. Re the steward who didnt tell someone about the hall, I know I've marshalled events at times when you get collared at short notice to do it and dont know a whole lot of the details but are ok for a specific function/job, it still doesnt mean you know what time the next train is due in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

quickbeam wrote: »
    That could easily have referred to the water that was meant to be available at the end. And yet when I asked a steward about it she only said it had all gone. No suggestion about getting an alternative in their secret hideout.

This, exactly!

At least the Essence coffee place was open and only charging €1 a coffee (and it was delicious!) but the lack of promised water and banana at the end were disappointing. The people I was with and myself all took the "refreshments" bit on the website to refer to the promised water and banana!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

AAD wrote: »
    I’ve always carried bottles and gel wrappers until the next mile marker and left them at that, can’t understand people who 1: drop them right under their own feet for others to have to avoid and 2: throw them into ditches and surrounding gardens.

There may have been others but personally I only saw one bin for water bottles on the road, and I still had about half my bottle full when I reached it, IIRC :P Also, it was on the right-hand side of the road and we were running on the left.

Might be an idea all right to actually have wheelie bins at each mile marker and publicise this in the emails?

Shame about the lack of drinks at the end but putting them in the goody bags, as mentioned, would solve that.

It was a great event, my first 10-mile, and thanks to all the volunteers and committee for organising it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

This, exactly!

The people I was with and myself all took the "refreshments" bit on the website to refer to the promised water and banana!

Then none of you read your pre-race brief!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Then none of you read your pre-race brief!

Agreed. I didn't read it as close as I should have. I concentrated on number pick-up and parking and directions and route, and admit I missed the bit about refreshments.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jimcricket

Great race, great route, great weather, Def back again

Advertisement