Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

written quote from tradesman ?

Options
  • 09-01-2018 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Hi I was looking to get carpet fitted and guy called out to measure and give me a price. He scribbled something in his notebook and verbally told me the price.

Got back onto him today to schedule a suitable date for the work to be done and I asked him if he could send me the quote by email. Got a bit shirty with me when I asked for written quote - as in - what do you need a quote by email for ?

I get the impression he's a one man band and can't find company details anywhere. My problem is the price he has quoted me is very good and the sample and colour don't seem to be available anywhere else.

Ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Lots of tradesmen are "one man band"s and don't need to form companies. If you are happy to go with the price, then go with it, just ask if the price is including vat or cash. If you agree a cash price then it will be cheaper but don't look for a receipt after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Thanks for that Davo. The website offers a 7 year guarantee so how does that work if no receipt and I've paid by cash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You could email him confirming the price and the details of the service to be provided.

Then when you pay cash, you could email him again confirming that you've given him the payment.

To be honest, the bigger question about the 7 year guarantee is whether he'll still be around in 7 years trading in the same business to provide the guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He's afraid to give written quote because he he's quoting for a cash job / fiddle the tax job. Personally I stay clear of tradesmen like this. They usually have no insurance.

I'd rather pay extra for a reputable company tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

you do know he & hence you are dodging tax? Hes not declaring it, and your not paying VAT.

If you want the security of a guarantee thats enforceable then i recommend you go with a more transparent company who do issue receipts and written quotes etc. Of course it will cost more.

There's little or no comeback in the event of a problem with the cowboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Your bigger problem would be what happened if he managed to injure himself or somebody else while on your premises!! You would be left high and dry as they have no professional indemnity and public liability.. Avoid the hassle and pay a little more for the peace of mind is generally what we do.

Advertisement