If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony or Samsung TV, which is best for my apps?

Options
  • 09-01-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I am looking at two models Samsung 49MU6400,   Sony 49XE8005.           
    Both are 49 inch, 4K, Freesat tuner, and a 5year warranty. Both are around the same price, however the so called ‘smart’ functions on these TV’s is not really that smart and have tight restrictions on the approved apps they want me to use. The main apps I had hoped to use are RTE Player, Tune In radio and one or two more that I would prefer not to mention here.
    Sony has android, but it is really their own customized version of android and from what I understand it is possible to sideload apk files from a memory stick. But do you have experience of how well these apps perform on Sony TV’s? Do they crash, stall etc.
    I think only certain Samsung tv allow RTE player to be installed, so it appears to be more restrictive.  I’m thinking it may be best to use an external android box for my apps and send them to the TV via HDMI.
    Any advice on these TV’s would be much appreciate, and your best price please.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

ArraMusha wrote: »
    I am looking at two models Samsung 49MU6400,   Sony 49XE8005.           
    Both are 49 inch, 4K, Freesat tuner, and a 5year warranty. Both are around the same price, however the so called ‘smart’ functions on these TV’s is not really that smart and have tight restrictions on the approved apps they want me to use. The main apps I had hoped to use are RTE Player, Tune In radio and one or two more that I would prefer not to mention here.
    Sony has android, but it is really their own customized version of android and from what I understand it is possible to sideload apk files from a memory stick. But do you have experience of how well these apps perform on Sony TV’s? Do they crash, stall etc.
    I think only certain Samsung tv allow RTE player to be installed, so it appears to be more restrictive.  I’m thinking it may be best to use an external android box for my apps and send them to the TV via HDMI.
    Any advice on these TV’s would be much appreciate, and your best price please.
    Hi ArraMusha,

I would definitely favour the Sony over the Samsung, not just for panel quality but also for the smart features. As it is a bit more open source than the Samsung you can download your own apps onto it however I have no experience adding the apps myself and would not be able to advise on the reliability of third party apps on the OS.

I would still favour the Sony for contrast and colour though.

I hope you have found this information helpful and please let me know if you have any further queries.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.