Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Flood Defense Wall to Come Down (slightly)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

where did the council say the wall would be cladded? link

From November 2015: "Finish of the wall: The Council has already undertaken to engage with the local public representatives to agree a suitable natural stone finish for the road side of this new wall."
    http://www.dublincity.ie/dublin-city-council-clarifies-aspects-flood-alleviation-cycleway-and-watermain-works-clontarf-0

The below document makes mention of "concrete rendered finish" and "coping stone".

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/MajorTransportProjects/Documents/2017.06.09%20CA%20Sea%20Wall%20Works%20Part%208%20Report.pdf

"The S2S Cycleway and Footway Interim Works made provision for a concrete rendered finish to the roadside face of the wall. Following consultations with the EMLC it was deemed desirable to provide a different finish to the section of sea wall from the Mount Prospect Junction north. This section is adjacent to St. Anne’s park which has a low random rubble boundary wall on the west side of the road. In keeping with the environment it was agreed with the EMLC to provide a Blue Limestone Cladding."

To my eyes the wall as currently built opposite St Annes Park does not have a concrete rendered finish as such, it just looks like a bare wall.

The initial S2S Cycleway and Footway Interim Works provide for a rounded reconstituted stone coping... Following consultation with the EMLC the rounded reconstituted coping stone was deemed undesirable. EMLC sought to change the coping design to a coping which would enable pedestrians to sit comfortably on the wall. As part Technical Paper: Review of Sea Wall Upstand Requirements, the change in coping shape was reviewed. The Technical Paper reviewed other locations around Dublin Bay and found that a flat coping was the most common arrangement, with people enjoying the additional amenity involved. It accepted that a change to a flat coping would be consistent with the most common arrangement around Dublin Bay and may be adopted at Dollymount.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

@odyssey06- yeah the wall section in question is at present bare concrete.
    According to Damian O'Farrell that section is to be cladded and a capping stone to finish it off.

I don't live in the area and the height doesn't bother me.
    What does bother me is why was such a simple structure put in incorrectly? Who's responsible? What tender process did the proposed remedial work go through?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah when the work was on going the only contractors signage was KN, generally a fine company but not one I'd associate with this type of work. They may well have expanded their interests over the years but I would usually associate them with electrical civils works (telecommunications, traffic signalling etc.)

**Edit- just looked them up there and they have indeed moved in transport infrastructural works.

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

odyssey06 wrote: »
    From November 2015: "Finish of the wall: The Council has already undertaken to engage with the local public representatives to agree a suitable natural stone finish for the road side of this new wall."
    http://www.dublincity.ie/dublin-city-council-clarifies-aspects-flood-alleviation-cycleway-and-watermain-works-clontarf-0

The below document makes mention of "concrete rendered finish" and "coping stone".

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/MajorTransportProjects/Documents/2017.06.09%20CA%20Sea%20Wall%20Works%20Part%208%20Report.pdf

"The S2S Cycleway and Footway Interim Works made provision for a concrete rendered finish to the roadside face of the wall. Following consultations with the EMLC it was deemed desirable to provide a different finish to the section of sea wall from the Mount Prospect Junction north. This section is adjacent to St. Anne’s park which has a low random rubble boundary wall on the west side of the road. In keeping with the environment it was agreed with the EMLC to provide a Blue Limestone Cladding."

To my eyes the wall as currently built opposite St Annes Park does not have a concrete rendered finish as such, it just looks like a bare wall.

The initial S2S Cycleway and Footway Interim Works provide for a rounded reconstituted stone coping... Following consultation with the EMLC the rounded reconstituted coping stone was deemed undesirable. EMLC sought to change the coping design to a coping which would enable pedestrians to sit comfortably on the wall. As part Technical Paper: Review of Sea Wall Upstand Requirements, the change in coping shape was reviewed. The Technical Paper reviewed other locations around Dublin Bay and found that a flat coping was the most common arrangement, with people enjoying the additional amenity involved. It accepted that a change to a flat coping would be consistent with the most common arrangement around Dublin Bay and may be adopted at Dollymount.

these documents are in response to the complaints, not the original plans of the council which what I thought people were accusing the council of breaching.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The area in question hasn't flooded in living memory.
    The reduced height will still provide protection against 1 in 100 year flood events for the next 50 years.

The local residents took DCC at their word when they promised that no sightlines would be affected by the new wall.

And that DCC would apply the cladding they promised in their application.

But I suppose we shouldn't expect an organisation such as DCC to stick to its promises, or to care about little things like planning permission.

Oh dear.

2rfyk9y.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The irony

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

beertons wrote: »
    The irony

What's ironic?
    The area in the picture isn't part of the flood defence wall that's he's quoted.

awec wrote: »
    Oh dear.

Don't mention the wall! I mentioned it earlier, but I think I got away with it...

The thing is, and I know that picture looks scary but that's not the section in question, and the whole idea is that for that section, the promenade floods, soaks up the flood and it doesn't get to the main road or the houses beyond. Maybe Dublin Bus need a higher wall around their *ahem* overflow parking though... maybe the buses would be safer out on the road doing what they were intended to do...

But I'd be genuinely curious if you have a picture of the stretch where the new wall is showing flooding from the sea - then ladies and gentlemen we may have hit the 1 in 100 years event earlier than expected, and the first time that section has flooded from the sea since the Bull Island was established ... but until I see that I'm not quite ready to eat my words.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Effects wrote: »
    What's ironic?
    The area in the picture isn't part of the flood defence wall that's he's quoted.

Will they build up a wall there now and block another view. Or are the locals ok with the water coming over like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Will they build up a wall there now and block another view. Or are the locals ok with the water coming over like that.

According to the Snowmageddon thread it's supposed to flood at that point. :rolleyes:

I wonder why there is a wall there then. :confused:

According to the Snowmageddon thread it's supposed to flood at that point. :rolleyes:

I wonder why there is a wall there then. :confused:

Stop people walking into the sea while they are admiring the glorious view of course :)

Seriously, it's a stretch of grass with a footpath on it. There's a secondary wall to catch the overflow so it doesn't make it to the road and houses.

Remember DART line flooded on Southside at Salthill & Monkstown... a critical piece of transport infrastructure out of action.
    Yet no one points and laughs, where's your wall? Very strange that.

But yeah, let's berate the people of Clontarf for questioning why a wall is being put in somewhere that has never flooded from the sea in living memory. And, even if the Clontarf Road flooded, it would have a fraction of the impact of the DART line being knocked out.
    3 bus routes, two of which are low frequency, that could easily divert would be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Some locals are fine with it.

Advertisement