Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Hard Drive

Options
  • 09-01-2018 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Recently I got a new job. This job involves a lot of word documents and powerpoints. My employer has recommended that I look into getting a hard drive. He is willing to pay 50% of the cost if the hard drive if the price is not in excess of 300 euro. Can anyone recommend a hard drive to me as I'm not really into technology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You do not say how large a capacity you require.

I would plumb for an SSD plus a USB>SATA cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

What way will you be using it? With what OS? What size? Do you need it to be portable or will it just be stuck on your desk all day and never moving? If portable, does it need to be encrypted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Currys have external hard disks from under €60. If you need it for work the work should pay for it all, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A drive costing €300 would hold an awful lot of word documents and presentations.

I'm sure you could get a drive costing a third of that which will hold every document you create for years to come.

Also remember if you put all your documents on to a single hard drive, try to keep backups somewhere, either on dvd or another memory stick. If the drive fails you may lose it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sonic2000

I will be required to transport it a lot as I will have to make various presentations to companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

sonic2000 wrote: »
    I will be required to transport it a lot as I will have to make various presentations to companies.

Makes sense then to use an SSD ..... no moving parts to get rattled in transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If it's just PowerPoint a largish capacity USB stick would do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Do you have to carry these around with you or just have them available at home? If its something that stays at home and if they are important files having them on a single disk is a single point of failure, SSD's are more reliable than spinning disks, but they are far from faultless.

Something like a Buffalo linkstation 520.

If it is something you need with you, you need to consider if it needs to be ruggedised, how you are going to encrypt it (GDPR goes live on 26 May). There are expensive ruggedised and encrypted hard drives out there (even one with a keypad on it so you do not need software), make sure that you get one that has had its claims validated.

Advertisement