Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of keeping an alarm - servicing, reparing, regular upgrades etc.

Options
  • 09-01-2018 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

How often would I need to upgrade/service/repair an alarm system? As in, if I ended up installing a HKC or Vanderbilt, what would its life span be and what on average would be the yearly cost of upkeep/service/repair/upgrades over the course of that life span?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The two you mentioned would be two of the most reliable systems but reliability has a lot to do with the quality of the installation itself.

You shouldn't really have any issues for years (batteries need to be changed sooner) but servicing prices can vary greatly. The advice I would give is to spend the extra few quid now on a decent system like a HKC and you'll save money on repairs down the line.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How often would I need to upgrade/service/repair an alarm system? As in, if I ended up installing a HKC or Vanderbilt, what would its life span be and what on average would be the yearly cost of upkeep/service/repair/upgrades over the course of that life span?

A lot would depend on the type of system you install. Wireless on all systems will require battery replacement for devices. When replacing batteries its best to replace all at the same time to prevent them becoming staggered.
    All systems conform to the same EN50131-1 standard so other issues would be more down to how they are installed rather than anything else.
    Also bear in mind if you have your system installed to EN50131-1 & this is part of your home insurance policy a service every year will be a requirement to maintain that standard. If going down that road look for a company that offers unlimited callouts & labour in a maintenance contract. This would give you a fairly fixed ammount per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

In reality a system should be serviced every year.
    That said if its not broke people are not going to shell out on a service.

Advertisement