Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographing wildlife - telephoto lens?

• 09-01-2018 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have an entry level DSLR (Nikon D3300) with the 18-55mm kit lens and a Tamron 70-300mm lens.

I'm interested in getting some more zoom on this particularly for photographing birds and other wildlife.

I've been looking at the Tamron 150-600 mm G2
    (https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/3116/tamron_sp_150-600mm_f/5-6.3_di_vc_usd_g2_for_nikon_f_mount_(a022n))

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has a particular opinion on using this with a D3300?

Is this type of telephoto lens overkill for an entry level DSLR?
    Would I just be better off with an decent bridge camera? (which would cost less than the lens)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

An ideal lens for wildlife would have a constant aperture f2.8 and be a prime of at least 300mm.
    The lens you reference would not be bright enough on an average Irish day, by that I mean you would need a very sunny bright day for that lens to capture detail in your subject at distance. That lens would not be regarded as a fast lens either.
    http://cameratimes.org/best-nikon-lenses-wildlife-photography/

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

You've listed a 6000 dollar lens, I'm not sure that's really what someone with a d3300 is going to be using, OP I've d5500 and switched from the 55-300 4.5-5.6 to the sigma 150-600, it's a very heavy lens and a bit of a beast, the 55-300 was a bit soft at the long end, but I got some great
    photos with it and it's very light. If you want the extra reach then the sigma or tamron are a great option, pick one depending on your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I know loads or Irish Photographers who use the Tamron 150-600 (G2) and both versions of the Sigma 150-600 and all get great results in Irish conditions. There were as many 150-600mm lenses as Deer at last season'e Deer rutting in Killarney and loads of great pictures in Autumn / Winter. They will work perfectly on the D3300, but may be a little unbalanced - no problem if you use a Monopod though. In low light just bump up the ISO. Each of the lenses also have good Image Stabilisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Have you looked at Sigma 100-400? Seen some pretty decent shots on flickr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

bkrangle wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting some more zoom on this particularly for photographing birds and other wildlife.

I've been looking at the Tamron 150-600 mm G2

Is this type of telephoto lens overkill for an entry level DSLR?

Have a look at Keps' photos in the Random Photos thread. Most (if not all) of those are taken with that same lens (see the Flickr camera/lens info for more precise details of each pic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

LeoB wrote: »
    Have you looked at Sigma 100-400? Seen some pretty decent shots on flickr.

I went with the Tamron 150-600 G2 in the end. Have only gotten a few bird shots but happy with it so far.

Advertisement