Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyway to get my coffee machine to work via Google home

• 09-01-2018 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

From reading this board, there seems to be a way to do most things, but can it make coffee?

My mornings are rushed and I'm out the door very fast. I'd love to grab my coffee and go.
    The machine has a single button on the front that makes the coffee. It's on standby, but you still need to press that button. It then does some rattling and spits out some water for a couple of minutes before the coffee's made, so I'd like to have that part done before I get to the kitchen.

Is there any solution that Google can do? A socket won't work as that button needs pressing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Sesame wrote: »
    From reading this board, there seems to be a way to do most things, but can it make coffee?

My mornings are rushed and I'm out the door very fast. I'd love to grab my coffee and go.
    The machine has a single button on the front that makes the coffee. It's on standby, but you still need to press that button. It then does some rattling and spits out some water for a couple of minutes before the coffee's made, so I'd like to have that part done before I get to the kitchen.

Is there any solution that Google can do? A socket won't work as that button needs pressing.

I can't think of any solution with that machine to be honest. the fact that the button requires a manual press means unless you can replicate the button press you can't automate.

Suppose you could try wedge something against the button the night before and use a smart socket to time the power input, that could work, depending on the button mechanism but it's probably not good for the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sesame wrote: »

You don't need google, just set your alarm three minutes earlier.
    Seriously, why are people trying to find complicated solutions to simple problems that aren't really problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Or even just get out of bed, go press the button, then use those minutes to go to the toilet, or have a shower, or get dressed, or pick your nose or whatever you would normally do before pressing the button!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My old man had a coffee machine/alarm clock back in the 80's... Was a novelty for a couple of weeks. Just get up a couple of minutes earlier, it's much more engaging...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sesame wrote:

So does that button latch ?
    i.e when you press it does it stay pressed in or is it like a doorbell?

What is the wattage of it.

Lightwaverf have a decent range of "other" devices

They have a single channel 500Watt relay.

It has a couple of different switching options. It could be wired into the coffee machine.

Look them up.

I also have a vague memory of seeing a device that mechanically pushed a switch closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Like a door bell. I don't really understand the watt part but will research!
    Might be more complicated than I want but it would be cool if it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I suppose one could open the coffee machine and shoehorn a relay or transistor switch in it to simulate the button press

You can easily get a coffee machine with an integrated timer though so you just fill it the night before

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Search "Naran microbot" on Amazon. That's what you're after

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭the14thwarrior

search "walk down the stairs and press a button" on google. be sure to find some links someone.......

I suppose one could open the coffee machine and shoehorn a relay or transistor switch in it to simulate the button press

The lightwaverf one would do that

However there are some many recommended issues with this.

I have seen an iot physical button press somewhere though

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote:
    I have seen an iot physical button press somewhere though

What I mentioned above

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Search "Naran microbot" on Amazon. That's what you're after

That is awesome!

I have the same coffee machine, a bean to cup and yes I think this would work with it.

I had thought about automating this, would be great to add to my good morning routine.

However £50 is too much, €20 I would go for it for just for the fun of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Is this the direction humanity is heading in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Needs a helper monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Just get a Nespresso Prodigo if its that important to you. Alternatively go to bed earlier you'll get a better sleep and wont feel so tired the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Barisieur-Coffee-Alarm-Clock.jpg

Here you go and no google needed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I need an iRobot style robot to do my bidding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My DeLonghi bean-to-cup machine has the option to start up, and do the initial warm up and rinse thing, based on the time, so all you need to do is set it for 5 minutes before your alarm goes off and it'll be ready for you to press the button to make the coffee when you wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Ok folks, I see a fundamental problem here - if the coffee is timed, that means you will have to reach the machine at precisely the time that the coffee is ready for complete satisfaction, any earlier and you may as well have hit the switch yourself, any later and the coffee is cold.

So you now have to set your alarm clock just to reach the coffee at the right time - best of luck with that.

Just initiate it on the app when your just about to get up to get dressed or when you're just out of the shower. No accurate times needed and perfect coffee every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, the solution you need is a wife. You can then tell Google home to wake your wife to go and make your coffee.

The perfect mix of technology and old fashioned chauvinism.

begbysback wrote: »
    Ok folks, I see a fundamental problem here - if the coffee is timed, that means you will have to reach the machine at precisely the time that the coffee is ready for complete satisfaction, any earlier and you may as well have hit the switch yourself, any later and the coffee is cold.

So you now have to set your alarm clock just to reach the coffee at the right time - best of luck with that.

Actually with the Delonghi it is a two stage action. You hit the power button, it turns on, warms itself up and does a rinse and then waits. It doesn't actually make the coffee until after you hit a different button. So Alun's solution is good if you are getting up at the same time every day.

I work from home often, drink lots of coffee. Having to get up, go to the kitchen to switch it on, back to the living room to continue work and then back to the kitchen again to actually make the coffee is slightly annoying.

I'm not saying it is the end of the world or anything, but I can certainly see the attraction of a machine you can remotely turn on.

Op, the solution you need is a wife. You can then tell Google home to wake your wife to go and make your coffee.

The perfect mix of technology and old fashioned chauvinism.

Haha, I actually did something like that today!!!

- I get a call from a delivery guy that he is outside, I tell him I'm not home, but the missus is, so I'll call her and get her to go out to him.
    - I call her, but no answer.
    - So, I do the whole Goggle Home, Broadcast thing, "look at your phone"
    - She gets the package :D

Turns out she had been in the toilet cleaning it when the GH's fired up and sent the message :cool: Frightened the life out of her, I'm in for hell when I get home :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

bk wrote: »
    Actually with the Delonghi it is a two stage action. You hit the power button, it turns on, warms itself up and does a rinse and then waits. It doesn't actually make the coffee until after you hit a different button. So Alun's solution is good if you are getting up at the same time every day.

I work from home often, drink lots of coffee. Having to get up, go to the kitchen to switch it on, back to the living room to continue work and then back to the kitchen again to actually make the coffee is slightly annoying.

I'm not saying it is the end of the world or anything, but I can certainly see the attraction of a machine you can remotely turn on.

Has everyone actually lost the plot?

Bring the machine into the living room.

(Apologies if it's mains fed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

You say the coffee machine needs a non latching button press. And you want to spend less than €20. Then get a Sonoff switch, flash it and just add a scene to it to turn on, wait a second then turn off. And you can add a shortcut to google home Or ALexa for coffee and hey presto.

If the voltage at the switch is not 240 then a sonoff jog switch may do the job.

I would imagine that whilst the ultimate laziness, it may be of benefit to disabled persons .

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What kind of coffee machine is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

thecivvie wrote:
    If the voltage at the switch is not 240 then a sonoff jog switch may do the job.

The voltage at the switch will not be 240v but it's 240 at the SONOFF when on right

I'd imagine you'd want to avoid placing 240 across that switch or near a zone that didn't have it to begin with ?

IMO it's not advisable to open this unit up but 20 euro is not going to get you a volt free normally open or closed contact.

I've opened button press devices like gates etc by adding lightwaverf relays with simulated momentary switch pressing capabilities , I wouldn't advice using a sonoff for this action.

Allinall wrote: »
    Has everyone actually lost the plot?

Bring the machine into the living room.

(Apologies if it's mains fed)

Full Bean to Cup machine, very large and heavy and yes mains powered. You certainly wouldn't bring that into the living room!

I know it seems silly, but a lot of this stuff becomes addictive and self reinforcing. I already have the a "good morning" routine that turns on lights, turns on the TV, sets it to the right channel, turns on xmas lights (at that time of the year). On their own, non of them are hard to do, but having them all on the one routine really does make things easier. All very handy when you are bleary eyed and have a child shouting at you.

Would be nice to add the coffee machine to the routine so that it is good to go once you get to the kitchen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Does the button you want to press actually end up in a made cup of coffee or just go through the initial cleaning and heating routine?

Advertisement