Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car wrapping

• 09-01-2018 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this and how durable is the plastic finish? If it gets scratched the only way to fix it is to re wrap the panel? My partner and I bought a red Hyundai coupe as a second car recently, it's a 2006 car in great order but the colour is abit too much on it. Only bought the car because it's sound as your going to get and we looked at a few of these Coupes which were total sheds. We both agreed that if it's not gonna come near 1k to get it wrapped we might get the car re done in silver. We paid 1,350 for the car which isn't alot for the condition its in, its a mint car and we will probably keep it 3 or 4 years so we may commit to wrapping it if the price is right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Anyone done this and how durable is the plastic finish? If it gets scratched the only way to fix it is to re wrap the panel? My partner and I bought a red Hyundai coupe as a second car recently, it's a 2006 car in great order but the colour is abit too much on it. Only bought the car because it's sound as your going to get and we looked at a few of these Coupes which were total sheds. We both agreed that if it's not gonna come near 1k to get it wrapped we might get the car re done in silver. We paid 1,350 for the car which isn't alot for the condition its in, its a mint car and we will probably keep it 3 or 4 years so we may commit to wrapping it if the price is right.

You wont get a high quality wrap job for under 1000. Its a difficult and time consuming process and would be over 500 just for decent quality vinyl. But done correctly it is very durable and can look great, just like the difference between a poor paintjob and a top quality one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

rex-x wrote: »
    You wont get a high quality wrap job for under 1000. Its a difficult and time consuming process and would be over 500 just for decent quality vinyl. But done correctly it is very durable and can look great, just like the difference between a poor paintjob and a top quality one :)

Do you have to have the colour change noted on the VLC? Its not permanently changed so I'm wondering about that to.

We wouldn't pay over 1k to get it done.. we will learn to like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Do you have to have the colour change noted on the VLC? Its not permanently changed so I'm wondering about that to.

We wouldn't pay over 1k to get it done.. we will learn to like it.

No because it is only temporary. I saw one or two jobs done for 8-900 and they were rough to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

whats wrong with the red!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I would leave it as is.

No point spending that amount of money on the car. Leave it for unexpected breakdowns, tires etc.

Or just spend it on something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

colm_mcm wrote: »

Yeah, red it the job on them.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to paint it silver anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder would you have to tell your insurance, although it won't give extra performance it may in some cases make the car more desireable to rob, eg if you had a Pink Range Rover and decided to have it wrapped in black it would be more desireable to rob...in most cases I would think :D

83b65add096d8b94ab63dcd1b2312598--range-rover-evoque-range-rover-sport.jpg

Range_Rover_Sport_Autobiography_Black_Front_View.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »

Its just too eye catchy red, its almost abit cheesy looking. My other half is the main driver of it and she says everyone is gawking at the car when she s driving it. I dunno if that's a good or a bad thing? I've driven it to NAAS the other day from Dublin and it sure seems to get looks from on coming drivers. Now I'm use to driving a Black Skoda Octavia which is extremely anonymous compared to this. We will live with it if the value to wrap it is more then the car. It is a nice looking car I admit and maybe my stubborn Irish bland colour mind set needs to be shaken up abit.

Let's be serious and not have this go the way of the Lexus IS250 incident.

Is this the same lad that thinks it looks like a Ferrari?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Are your seriously suggesting that a 12 year red Hyundai is getting too mush attention from an admiring public? Its a nice looking car an all but its a little self aggrandizing to think its drawing attention. Every 4 or 5th car is red these days. I think your transferring your own insecurity, nobody else could care less.

Now if it was a special edition is250...that would be different (in joke)

edit...others got there before me

Is this the same lad that thinks it looks like a Ferrari?

No I don't think it looks like a Ferrari... the headlamps have a certain style about them but I don't think the car looks like a Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I thought the price to wrap was a couple of grand? Surely not worth it on a car of this value...

OP, I think you just need to "own it" as the kids would say. You liked the look of the car, dare I say you bought it on looks alone; you bought a coupe in bright red.

Get out there and enjoy it, you clearly like it and don't be minding what others are looking at. That's the joys of owning a quirky car and although those Hyundais lack a certain soul under the bonnet, nobody can say they aren't a relatively good looking, well proportioned car.

That said, I think you are too conscious. They are fairly common, personally I don't think it's breaking necks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

tint the windows, then those pesky gawpers cant see who is driving, and you can soak up their admiration from your anomyous metal bubble. Much cheaper...but stay legal kids.

OP, I think you just need to "own it" as the kids would say. You liked the look of the car, dare I say you bought it on looks alone; you bought a coupe in bright red.

Get out there and enjoy it, you clearly like it and don't be minding what others are looking at. That's the joys of owning a quirky car and although those Hyundais lack a certain soul under the bonnet, nobody can say they aren't a relatively good looking, well proportioned car.

That said, I think you are too conscious. They are fairly common, personally I don't think it's breaking necks.

Very true... We did buy it on looks and the reliability record that they have. Its definitely a quirky car with the long sloping bonnet and air vents on the wings. You'd spot it a mile away parked in the car park amongst silver black and navy blue everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Very true... We did buy it on looks and the reliability record that they have. Its definitely a quirky car with the long sloping bonnet and air vents on the wings. You'd spot it a mile away parked in the car park amongst silver black and navy blue everything else.

Its not the colour that upsets you, its the car imo. If it was a Red Nissan micra would you still be in upset?

You have a stylish red looking car. Why not take it to a car detailing company get it waxed compounded the works... or do it yourself it wont cost much. Nothing better than seening a nice classic (In ex condition) pull up next to a new skoda/volvo/whatever in grey/silver and steel its thunder.

Its like a white toyota celica it just looks right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No I don't think it looks like a Ferrari... the headlamps have a certain style about them but I don't think the car looks like a Ferrari.

Yes you do.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057823954/1/#post105668601

No one cares about Hyundai coupes to gawp at them. It’s in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Would anyone want to steal a Hyundai coupe? Anyone? Bueller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Yes you do.

Some of the stuff you read on this site is ****ing priceless.
    Wrapping a 12 year old red Hyundai coupe because people are looking at it due to looking like a ferrari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sell it for what you give.
    If it's as good as you say, you'll have no problem getting rid.
    Buy another Hyundai Coupe (in a colour that dosent cause random men ogle your missus) for 2500.
    That's what you are planning to spend when the red one is wrapped.

Yes you do.

That was a reference to the style of the headlamps, not the over all look of the car.

Anyways regarding the wrap, I emailed off for a quote from one crowd and I'll see what they say tomorrow. It probably won't happen though if the prices on this thread are anything to go by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Doesn't make a lot of sense to be thinking of spending €1000+ on wrapping a car worth €1300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you want wrapping then go ahead.
    Contact a few places google shows a few places around the country) and get quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont wrap it OP! Valet, wax, and polish, Its a sporty looking car, suppose to be red, thats why its getting looks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I saw one in red recently and was admiring how will it has aged- looks wise.

Go on OP, let yourself go and enjoy it.
    Pay a fraction of a wrap to have it professionally detailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Done properly it can look very well. I purchased a commercial vehicle but didn't like the colour but couldnt get the colour I wanted in a second hand vehicle so decided to buy one and get it wrapped. I get compliments on the quality of the wrap all the time.
    I think it depends on the type of vehicle, the colour of the wrap in relation to the vehicle and also the quality of the wrap is hugely important!

Two sample photos of the wrap..

24742874587_bf3fe9e484_c.jpg

38714687025_ed207cff99_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Any photos of the car in question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I would think rattle can Plasti-dip would be a better option for a 12 year old Hyundai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Homer wrote: »
    Done properly it can look very well. I purchased a commercial vehicle but didn't like the colour but couldnt get the colour I wanted in a second hand vehicle so decided to buy one and get it wrapped. I get compliments on the quality of the wrap all the time.
    I think it depends on the type of vehicle, the colour of the wrap in relation to the vehicle and also the quality of the wrap is hugely important!

Two sample photos of the wrap..

That does look really well, super job. Can you give us an idea of the cost?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Homer I've seen yours around North county Dublin. It looks brilliant, really pro job.
    Not to be too nosey but what sort of ball park was the cost of it?

Ok I've decided to keep the car red, quote was well over 1k to do it. I'll give it a good polish and wax during the week and upload a picture of it when I'm done. Thanks for the constructive opinions on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Well wear in the car, at that price you've gotten a bargain if it's mechanically sound. Hope the colour grows on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

humberklog wrote: »
    Homer I've seen yours around North county Dublin. It looks brilliant, really pro job.
    Not to be too nosey but what sort of ball park was the cost of it?
    Ok I've decided to keep the car red, quote was well over 1k to do it. I'll give it a good polish and wax during the week and upload a picture of it when I'm done. Thanks for the constructive opinions on this.

I got mine done by the guys in http://signsasap.ie and it was €1200 plus vat but was a tricky job compared to most small cars/vans due to the design of the mini clubvan. Would have been a couple of hundred cheaper on a standard car/mini

If you get it wrapped in yellow it will look like this ..........

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Taraeven

• Vinyl car wraps protect your OEM paint and are 100% removable.
    • Adds to the resell value of your car. When you remove it, your paint is in the same condition as on the day it was wrapped. Thus adding to the resale value by having flawless paint on your car. A repainted car normally decreases the value of your vehicle due to concerns over possible previous accident(s).
    • You can restore the car to it’s original color by removing the wrap.
    • Warranties and/or lease agreements remain valid. Painting can void warranties and is not a lease option.
    • Cost for a vinyl vehicle wrap is considerably less (nearly half) than a comparable paint job.
    • Many of the styles can not be reproduced by paint.
    • Vinyl car wraps wear as well as, or better than paint – when properly cared for. Think of it like a skin for your laptop or a silicon cover for your phone. The vinyl can take a beating protecting the vehicle’s paint underneath.
    • Vinyl car wraps come in many colors and can have a matte, semi-gloss, gloss, brushed steel, carbon fiber, matte metallic, chrome and even leather-like finishes.
    • Expensive, color-matching paint fees are unnecessary for scratches or accident vehicles; just re-wrap the section that needs repair.
    • It’s difficult to tell it’s not paint.
    • You don’t have to wrap your entire car; you can just do your hood, roof, mirrors, stripes, etc.
    • Matte-paint jobs can be brittle and chip easily, while vinyls are more durable and harder to scratch. In the event that repairs are needed, the part that was damaged can be easily replaced, providing a perfect match.
    • Hides scratches, small chips and “freshens” the look of your vehicle.

Advertisement