Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident with rental car

Options
  • 09-01-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I hit a rental car, driven by two female tourists, in September 2017.

I informed my insurance company of the incident and gave my report (I bumped into the back of them at a junction, minor to no damage to their bumper).

There has been no claims made against my policy as of yet.
    I was wondering what are the chances of there being a claim, as the claim has been left open on my policy for them to claim until end of March.

Is there a chance that the rental company, in Dublin, will claim on their own policy or a policy the two tourists may have taken out on the car?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Was there any damage to their car? If there was or if they report perosnal injuries you'll probably hear about it soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It may take some time for the renter to process.
    You have informed your own insurer, it's a waiting game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fraserc12

Was there any damage to their car? If there was or if they report perosnal injuries you'll probably hear about it soon enough.

Yes there was damage, minimal, to the back bumper of their vehicle. I was just curious if anyone had experienced this issue before and how the claim was dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

fraserc12 wrote: »
    Yes there was damage, minimal, to the back bumper of their vehicle. I was just curious if anyone had experienced this issue before and how the claim was dealt with

A bumper can hide a multitude of damage behind it, but id imagine you'd have heard by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

biko wrote: »
    It may take some time for the renter to process.
    You have informed your own insurer, it's a waiting game now.

If they've left it 4 months then they might find it difficult to assert that the damage was caused in the particular collision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

You must be a pretty bad driver to hit a rental car, unless they broke quickly.its usually the other way around when tourists are over. I think you should be fine now anyway. Maybe they had paid for full coverage insurance and no questions were asked when the car was returned.

mickoc wrote: »
    You must be a pretty bad driver to hit a rental car, unless they broke quickly.its usually the other way around when tourists are over. I think you should be fine now anyway. Maybe they had paid for full coverage insurance and no questions were asked when the car was returned.

They braked pretty hard at a junction when the road was clear. I put it down to them being unfamiliar with the roads. But yeah I was careless but was going quite slow at the time thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fraserc12 wrote: »
    Is there a chance that the rental company, in Dublin, will claim on their own policy or a policy the two tourists may have taken out on the car?
    Unless the tourists took your details, the rentals insurance company may not know.

Personally speaking, I usually pay the $25 extra so there's no excess to pay when hiring a vehicle. If they did the same, they probably won't give a flying f**k about the damage done to the car. Heck, if they think they did wrong, they could be hoping that they don't get charged from some road offence!

Just for anyone interested. 

The claim was put through by the Rental Company. 
    But due to "Lack of input or follow up" from them on the claim, it was closed and my policy was unaffected :)

Not sure the exact reason but it wasn't worth the hassle it seemed for them to make the claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Even though the rental company's pursuit of the claim has gone dormant, there is nothing to prevent them reviving it later on. Would you believe that the law allows them 6 years to do this in relation to property damage.

In practical terms, the matter is more than likely closed, but your insurers may re-open the claim if the rental company come back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement